Part out a ski boat

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Hercdrvr

Part out a ski boat

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue May 23, 2017 5:18 am

I'm starting to think about powering a Barrel Back I've just started. Engine and transmission add up the $$$ pretty fast. Why couldn't I buy an older Tournament ski boat and use the engine, transmission, maybe some of the rudder and steering components and the trailer? $5000 buys a sweet running Master Craft.

New inboard engines are stupid expensive and I'm not buying some "runs good" used inboard engine that's laying on the floor of somebody's shop. When buying used, Im a big fan of running it on the water before I buy. My opinion is tournament ski boats are generally better cared for than your average bow rider.
Any thoughts out there?
Matt B
Attachments
IMG_2660.PNG
These are for sale everywhere

Roberta

Re: Part out a ski boat

Postby Roberta » Tue May 23, 2017 6:03 am

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

bob smith

Postby bob smith » Tue May 23, 2017 6:14 am

I recommend it. You will have not only the big parts but all the little jimcracks that cost like crazy if you buy them separately. Not to mention a trailer! Also, you have a full size example of "how it's made" as a guide.
When you're all through you can sell the carcass or junk it.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue May 23, 2017 6:18 am

And you have a boat in the meantime.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue May 23, 2017 6:49 am

Well then, 10 minutes after I post Bill, Bob and Roberta think it's a good idea.
We better look at the negatives

1. Shame to part out a good ski boat
2. Probably very little if any resale on the hull
2.5 disposal of hull could be a hassle
3. Tetris game storage puzzle for Malahini, Squirt , barrel back construction and doner ski boat. I need to move to an air park with a hanger big enough for a 707.
4. ??? What else am I missing?

Matt B

slug

Postby slug » Tue May 23, 2017 7:58 am

Matt; That is exactly the donar boat I bought for my Gentry. Only difference mine was basically a scrapper with a very good 351W Ford engine that appeared seized. Actually the starter was fried but I bought the whole thing for CDN.$800. I sold $1500 worth of parts off it. The rest went to the dump.

Doug

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Tue May 23, 2017 8:02 am

Better to part out a good boat on which everything works than to part out a near-scrap boat and find you have to rebuild everything you take off it. Anyway, it's plastic - who cares? :lol:

You don't need to worry about resale value of the hull - if the motor, steering, trailer etc are worth the asking price to you then you can write the hull off as scrap because it'll owe you nothing. Plus you can sell bits like seats that you won't use for the barrelback to make some more money back - something you couldn't do so easily if the boat was a wreck.

True, actually disposing of the hull might be tricky but tow it to a scrapyard, drag it off the trailer and let them worry about that.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue May 23, 2017 9:00 am

Slug,
Any chance you used the same strut and prop for your Gentry?

Guess I should share a pic, I've been keeping this on the down low until I got my Malahini on the water. Been doing a slow build when I'm at lake home where I'm hiding the Barrel Back. Malahini is complete so now I'm trailering it to my house to get serious on It.
Attachments
IMG_2195.JPG

slug

Postby slug » Tue May 23, 2017 10:06 am

Matt; I used the prop, rudder, strut, steering system, water pick up( had to buy a shorter steering cable). Shaft was too short. And of course, there are all kinds of little brackets,etc. that are invaluable.

Doug

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue May 23, 2017 12:34 pm

315 Hp on this doner ski boat. Is that too much for a 20' Barrel Back? I'm about to pull the trigger and buy it.

TomB

Postby TomB » Tue May 23, 2017 3:05 pm

I like your donor boat idea, drivetrain, trailer, deck hardware, controls, gauges, windshield?, the list gets long and expensive when you think about it. I'm starting to look for a donor boat too. I hope we don't put to much pressure on the old ski boat market. :wink:

Couldn't the disposal issue be solved over a couple of years with a case of reciprocating saw blades and one extra bag of trash every week? :wink:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue May 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Matt

315 hp will get you in the 45 to 50 mph range. You would only be safe if in clean smooth water. But, few people want to run that fast. Most people like to run from 24 to 35. Continuous rating on most gas engines is about 60% of WOT.

If you have a place to put it, I say go for it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

slug

Postby slug » Tue May 23, 2017 5:20 pm

The other nice thing about buying a proven boat is you have a "recipe" to help you with engine positioning, rudder offset and location, water pick up location and probably a small skeg/fin as well.

Doug

bob smith

Postby bob smith » Thu May 25, 2017 11:43 am

As far as disposing of the hull, I took a sawzall to it and in 10 minutes reduced it to manageable pieces that were accepted at the local recycling facility
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu May 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Done, I bought it. It's been a busy week for me. Malahini hit the water for the first time and bought a ski boat with the intention of tearing it apart.
I may need boat building therapy.
Matt B
Attachments
IMG_2692.JPG
IMG_2691.JPG

Return to “Boat Power”