90 e-tec for my malahini

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

DrBryanJ

90 e-tec for my malahini

Postby DrBryanJ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:30 pm

I agreed on a purchase price of $3500 for a 2006 90 hp e-tec with a stainless steel propeller. I am going Saturday to check out the engine and hopefully complete purchase. What should I check when I'm there? I do know it hasn't had a water pump replaced in awhile and should be done. Is this difficult to do?

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Re: 90 e-tec for my malahini

Postby mrintense » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Bryan, on You Tube there is an individual from Australia that has a channel called Dangar Marine. He covers a whole bunch of stuff about boats and outboards.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:02 pm

I only have general advice, others here will be more specific... visually inspect the lower unit for oil leaks, look for damage or dings in the lower housing, etc., Then look under the cowl for leaks, intact insulation on wires, rodent nests :lol: look at the control cables for damage... basically things that don't quite look right. If it can be run for you, that will give you a better feel for its condition.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:17 pm

I would want to hear it run. If you are unsure of checking it out, see if someone you know has more knowledge or hire a knowledgeable mechanic to check it out for you. $3500.00 is a lot of money and you should get assurance that you are not buying another boat anchor. Spending some for a good checkout may save you a lot more later. See if you can take it to a mechanic and you pay for a good check out and make that a contingency of the sale.

The water pump is not that hard to replace. There are a lot of videos on the internet that can help you with that.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Is it on a boat, engine stand or laying on the floor? Running it on the water would be best. If the motor is on a stand about all you can do is crank it up and run it through the gears. Compression check it if the owner will let you start turning wrenches on his motor. I've never popped the hood on an E-tec so I don't know how accessible the plugs are.
What boat was it on? Was it pulled off because it was under powered and the owner upgraded to a bigger engine. If that's true the engine may have been operated at WOT most of the time. Get the owner talking to get a feel for how it was used, stored, maintained, etc...

Bryan, If I remember correctly, Your still upside so you have lots of time to buy a motor. If it smells fishy walk away. There's no hurry to buy an outboard, I bought my 90 too early and it was in my way collecting dust for a year. If you buy it you'll need an engine hoist and stand to transport it, they are the most awkward 300+lbs to move around.
Good luck Buddy,
Matt B

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:21 pm

One more thing, I like Roberta's advice of a pre buy checkout if it's not to big an inconvenience. Shops are busy this time of year.

Matt B

curtgard

Postby curtgard » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:58 pm

E-tec motors have a build in computer that stores all kinds of info about the motor during its life. It can tell you about any faults(overheating etc.) that's ever happened. It will tell you how much of the time it was ran at WOT and at other rpms. The only problem is an Evinrude dealer must hook the motor up to their computer to get this info. I would do this before buying if it was me.

Curt Gard

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Motor is still on boat. Owner died and wife doesn't want any more. Have computer print out. Has been run for 211 hrs. No hic-ups reported highest rpm was 5400. PLugs reportedly just changed. I should be able to see it run. I will check for leaks and check lower unit oil. Should be able to check compression. I know I don't need right now, but right now this seems like a good engine. Worth checking out at least.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:39 pm

If it's the one, jump on it. 211 hours is low time for an 11 year old engine but not so low that it's been sitting around.
Sounds like a winner
Matt B

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:59 am

Sounds like a win. All the best.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:01 am

Bryan

E-tec doesn't even call for its first service until 300 hours. Go for it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Boat Power”