Inboard engine builds

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Mr Hot Rod

Inboard engine builds

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 pm

Post any inboard engine builds in this thread. These can be magazine article builds, or your own documented engine build.

I know that several builders have built their own engines, so let's see what you built ! (John Amundson, Peter Jenkins etc.)

(Note to moderators : Can we make this a sticky in the Boat Power thread so it doesn't get buried with time ?)

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory
Last edited by Mr Hot Rod on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Hot Rod

Chevrolet 496 BBC build

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:17 pm

(The following was reposted here so we wouldn't lose it.)

This engine build may be of interest to you. It's from Hot Rodding Magazine's Engine Masters Summer 2008 Edition, Volume 11 No. 2 :

The Monster Mash Big-Block Chevrolet 496 by Richard Holdener.

This is not a marine engine, so you would have to marinize it e.g. watercooled exhaust manifolds, USCG-approved marine carburetor etc.

Build as normally aspirated engine :

Photo by Richard Holdener, Hot Rodding Engine Masters Magazine
    ... or augment it with a Vortech supercharger :

Dyno Results :

Either build it yourself or have an engine builder build it for you.
The article is copywrighted, so PM me if you want more info about this engine build.

I'm sure John Amundson is already assembling parts for this one ...

Last edited by Mr Hot Rod on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Hot Rod

Chevrolet 283 and 355 performance marine engine builds

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:58 pm

Two builds from our Glen-L Hot Rod build :

• 283 cubic inch Chevrolet marine unit salvaged from a 1968 Chris Craft cruiser.

• 355 CID performance marine engine :

Cyclone

Re: Inboard engine builds

Postby Cyclone » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:14 am

I have a chrysler marine 340 small block V8 that I stumbled across that is already rebuilt that I will be using in the Glen L Bluefin I have under construction. I am currently sanding the hull prior to fiberglass cloth application. The previous owner of the engine had it rebuilt as it was originally from a 1972 Century boat he was restoring. Later he abandoned the project saying the hull had too much rot and damage. I did some research and the 340 marine small block has a recommended max RPM of around 4000 to 4400. That said the marine version of the 340 chrysler uses 318 heads from the factory. This is because the 340 heads used in automotive engines have larger valves that are made for higher RPM ranges that the marine engine will never see. The smaller valves on the 318 head provides faster more turbulent air fuel mixture flow into the cylinders which gives better low end torque. If the larger 340 heads were used the motor would have poor low end torque which would not work well in a marine application.

Normally the cylinders in these motors can only be bored 0.040" over, but I have the receipts for this motor when it was rebuilt and they had to go to 0.060" to get them to clean up. They had to check the block for core shift to make sure they could safely go this large on the bores without making the cylinder's wall thickness to the coolant passages too thin. This displacement on this motor is now about 350 cubic inches.

One interesting thing about this engine, is that it has a factory marine 4 barrel intake with the carburetor mounting surface cast on an angle so that the carburetor will be level when the engine is mounted on an angle. This allows the propeller shaft to be angled downward to go through the hull while it is parallel to the engine crankshaft. It will likely be a year from now before I disassemble the engine to check it over to get it ready for installation. I want to run a bottle brush hone through the cylinder before I reassemble the engine to make sure any slight corrosion that might be present in the bores is removed. The engine was built and assembled a few years ago.

I have a modern marine electronic ignition system for this engine that I will be using.

When I get to that stage, I will get some pictures and post them. I thought I would post information now just in case anyone on the forum has any recommendations for me before I get to that stage.

Thanks,

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:24 pm

I don't know much of nothing about engines and hate to hijack the thread, but Cyclone, do you have a thread or blog with pictures of your build. The Blue Fin is a design that we've not really seen here on the forum before and I'd sure like to follow your build.

Mr Hot Rod

Cheap Swill 500+ HP Small Block for 87-octane

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:58 pm

The following was reposted from a previous thread.

Source : Cheap Swill 500+ HP Small Block for 87-octane by Scott Parkhurst, Hot Rodding Magazine
Thread : SC V6 or MPI V8? by Denon Osterman
Post : Cheap Swill by Nova SS,Thursday Jan 15, 2009 4:41 pm.

Here is the article I was talking about. Being able to run a performance motor on cheap swill is a real advantage. The cheaper it is to run the more your apt to use it :wink:

Mr Hot Rod

Chris Craft Flywheel-Forward 283 CID V8 rebuild - Part 1

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Lately, a hot topic on Glen-L's Boatbuilder Forum has been automotive engine conversion for marine use. If you've been dreaming about building an inboard powered boat but are intimidated by the rebuild and installation process, this article may answer a few of your questions such as 'where do I start' and 'what are my options'.

Here is the first instalment of Bruce Dow's Flywheel-Forward 283 rebuild :

Denon is going to flip out when he sees the '03 Rev 600HO beaver tail sled :P

Read More : 283 CID Flywheel-Forward rebuild - Part 1

Part 2 of this article will follow soon ...

Last edited by Mr Hot Rod on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:22 am

That Cheap Swill article is a good one I've had it saved on my hard drive for years. Here is another one though it uses a higher cr than 87 octane would generally support. Possibly though, as Denon pointed out in his Rampage update thread, the typically cooler engine temps an inboard sees verses a street engine might allow higher cr with lower grade fuel than you could get away with normally. Maybe. Tuning will play a factor as well i suspect.

page1.jpg
page2.jpg
page3.jpg
page4.jpg

Cyclone

Postby Cyclone » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:15 pm

I will review the posted articles on the automotive engines. I am not sure what are the main differences between how an engine should be built for automotive use compared to one built for marine service. I am thinking for marine use we would want to maximize torque in balance with horsepower at a lower RPM range and not use components that would benefit higher RPM performance that the engine will not see in marine use while sacrificing durability and lower RPM performance.

To answer BayouBengal's suggestion for providing more information on my BlueFin build, I am planning on flipping the hull this fall and at that time I think I will make a thread on my build using information I have in some of my previous separate posts from various questions and concerns I ran into during the build. I plan to get some pictures of the build after the flip. I have found it difficult to get good pictures in the past as I only have about a 3 foot perimeter around the hull in my work area, I cannot get far enough away to get much overall detail into the picture as every picture I take looks like a closeup of a small area. I have the hull on a raised building form on wheels which makes the top of the hull 5 feet from the garage floor which limits how high above the hull I can position the camera.

Mr Hot Rod

Chris Craft Flywheel-Forward 283 CID V8 rebuild - Part 2

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:46 pm

Here is the second instalment of Bruce Dow's Flywheel-Forward 283 rebuild :

Read more : 283 CID Flywheel-Forward rebuild - Part 2

Now to start thinking about building the next engine to power the Hot Rod ...

Last edited by Mr Hot Rod on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:17 am

Cyclone, I think you have it right in that torque is probably more important than high rpm with boats. Every marine version engine I looked at was designed for higher torque. Horsepower is a function of torque times rpm. You can have two versions of say a 300hp 5.7L V8: a high torque topping out at say 5200 rpm and a lower torque version that tops out at say 8000 (examples from thin air, your mileage may vary). Both develop the same hp but do so at different rpm ranges. Boats tend to want torque more than rpm, unless it's a racing version. Thought it funny that Ford used a marine 5.0L cam on the mid 90's Mustang GT 5.0 engines, lots more torque and it was a big hit with musclecar folks.
Last edited by PeterG on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:00 pm

To add to what has already been said, see our website's Transmission Page's Reference section for articles which discuss torque and HP :

References

• Marine Engine Torque Vs. Marine Engine Horsepower

• Power and Torque : Essential Concepts

Last edited by Mr Hot Rod on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DSR

Postby DSR » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:43 pm

YAY!!! Engine stuff! I gotta throw something in on this! :D

First one is a bit unorthodox, but it IS an inboard.... :lol: . It's the engine for my jet TNT. A 1235cc DOHC EFI dry-sump 4 cylinder from a 2004 Honda R12X Aquatrax complete with a turbo and air-to-water intercooler. 165hp @ 6100 rpm and 140 lb/ft @ 5500 at 13 lbs of boost bone stock. Not really a build persay but I will be tearing it down to put stouter springs and retainers in it and possibly port the head along with intake and exhaust manifolds if it looks like it would be worth the time to do. At that point, if for some reason stock isn't enough, I can tweak the boost 5 lbs, add water/ methanol injection and it's capable of 240+ hp and 225+ lb/ft without touching anything else on it.......

IMG_20160903_182703164.jpg

The second project is a Chevy LS with a 2-speed powerglide slated for a V-drive Tornado after the TNT.....
I actually have 2 to choose from depending on what I think the Tornado will need when it's time... whichever one is left over is going in my '68 Nova..... :D
I have an LQ9 6.0L with cathedral heads that would make a very reliable 550+ hp pump gas engine, or I have another 6.0L with the big rectangular port L92 heads that would be perfect for a pump gas 408 stroker with 650+ hp.....

IMG_20170723_184607955.jpg
LQ9 6.0L

IMG_20170723_184554417.jpg
6.0L with L92 heads

I'm not sure why I don't see more of these LS engines in the hobby boat building arena? I love old school iron but these engines are so much better in so many ways. Big block power with the weight of a small block (or less with the aluminum blocks), better sealing against oil and water leaks, factory hydraulic roller valvetrain, etc.... And I can build a 550 hp 6.0L for less money than a 550 hp Gen 1 small block.
I even have a buddy that's talking about building a 19' Barrelback and wants to power it with an aluminum block 5.3L that I have.

With all the ever-changing info and products available nowadays, this would be perfect as a sticky for referencing. Great idea Paul!!

Thanks
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:36 pm

More info on LS1 marine conversion parts can be found on our Transmission Page :

Denon Osterman

Postby Denon Osterman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:11 pm

Oh man, this is an *awesome* idea - thanks Paul for getting this started! (And yes, I am a big fan of the REV...is it stock?).

I don't have much to contribute right now, but will definitely be lurking in the shadows for when the time comes this fall / winter :)

A quick question - is the idea here as an archive to reference / describe full builds, or as a conversation for those who are planning? I recommend the former, or I'll get us to page 30 while I get mine built...which hides all of the other ones. In other words, I feel like the best plan is (for instance) for me to start my own thread on my build, then when it's done, summarize and reference it here. That way this thread can act as a sort of archive / collection of everyone's builds...but that's just my $0.02.

Denon

Return to “Boat Power”