General outboard questions

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Craig Aho

General outboard questions

Post by Craig Aho » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 am

I have a Bearcat 55 for my Sea Knight and have never seen or heard it run. I recently mounted it on my transom and decided to hookup all the electrical and cables as best I can and get a battery and fuel and give it a try. Do you Leave the Prop on or off when you put the leg into a barrel of water? any other suggestions for the first startup.?

gdcarpenter

Re: General outboard questions

Post by gdcarpenter » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Prop on is fine as long as you are in neutral.
Make sure oil mix is on the rich side for test run.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:25 pm

I agree with gd, no problem with prop on as long as it is in neutral. Keep the hose handy since the exhaust will splash the water out. After it fires, make sure there is cooling water flowing, if not kill it fast or risk burning up the water pump. On OMCs, you really need a garbage can to get enough water into the pump. You can't run them in a 5 gallon bucket.

Good luck.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Thank you guys for the advice.

Craig

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:36 pm

As I have been preparing the Motor for startup I have been thinking of for fuel just use a small gas can I use for storing lawn mower gas and a long piece of fuel line and not bother trying to hookup the motor control cables. I just want to see if it will run before investing a bunch of money on fuel tank and components etc. I can just use my car battery for the power. Does this sound like a sound plan? I have a large plastic garbage can to put the leg in.

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:34 am

Hi Craig,

A car battery is more than enough to crank that motor, I assume you have hefty sized battery cables for the starter.

On the fuel tank, playing with gas is never a good thing. Do you have any friends with a boat/outboard that you can borrow a tank and fuel line? I would hate to see a stray spark from starting it ruin your day. :shock:
-Jim

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:23 pm

Thanks Jimmy that is exactly the kind of input I need. The motor has battery cables (Good Size) and I purchased a hose with bulb today. I will have to try to find and match up some fittings but also have a marine 6 gal plastic fuel tank. I am having doubts about it starting up because the carbs look fairly dirty and may need complete rebuilds to do me any good but I should try anyway. I will take a few photos and post later in the day.
Thanks again

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:45 am

Hi Craig,

All these old outboards new to fire up is air, fuel, and spark. If you have those three, it will run. If the carbs are really dirty, spray some carb cleaner in them, or worst case you might need some starting fluid sprayed into the carbs.

I did a quick search on you motor, and it appears that parts are still available. So, if your carbs need a rebuild it should not be a problem. I don't know if you have done this kind of work before, but it is not that hard. You probably just need a screwdriver, and it is as simple as disassembling it, clean it with a solvent (carb cleaners), replacing all the seals and "soft" bits, and putting it back together. Odd are someone has posted a YouTube video of the process for your exact carb.

I've rebuilt a couple of carbs for lawn tractors, the neighbor's snow blower, and my OMC outboard. They were all float type carb and the technology hasn't changed in 60 years from what I can tell. If yours is the same type, it will be an afternoon project.

Final comment, these old motors were designed and built before ethanol. We have a local gas station that sells pure gasoline with no ethanol in it. It is $1.30 more a gallon than the regular gas they sell. My friend swears by it for anything where the gas sits in the motor unused for some time (e.g., lawn mower, snow blower, etc...). So I'm using it in my 1957 Johnson, but it is not that big of a financial hit for me. Your 55hp might go through a lot more gas, so I'll leave that decision up to up.
-Jim

Otter

Post by Otter » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:00 pm

Craig:
An option you may consider is using outboard motor earmuffs. https://www.amazon.com/Pactrade-Marine- ... B00VTXTGIE
These pinch over the water intakes on the lower unit. it certainly is a lot less work than getting a barrel set up with water. And you CAN test out the drive mechanism with these on.
Chris

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:41 am

I am having a hard time understanding the wiring hookups on my motor, Mainly how the motor control box at the helm ties in. I wanted to start connecting the helm instruments I installed and run wiring etc. My motor has a common wire that runs in series from the oil pressure sender and water temp sender and apparently goes through the motor control box. I dont understand this since the instruments dont tie into that box?
Attachments
40054314_1861206317299004_7168190976962330624_n.jpg
40072702_1177302989111944_14165669725601792_n.jpg
40046960_294222157975989_6728325328726392832_n.jpg

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:45 am

the only instrument hookup I think I see clearly is the tach. There is a lone red wire that was clipped off attached to the coil neg terminal, I think that was a tach hookup.

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi Craig,

It looks like the oil pressure and temperature sensors will ground out the ignition coil if they trip.

On the remote control, #4 (oil and water temp) runs to the horn. I bet from there it gets to terminal 23 which goes to the neutral/safety switch. When the motor is in gear (cam on throttle is out of neutral) 23 would be connected to #16 the "resistance lead". The resistance lead goes to 16 and 18 on the + side of the coil. The oil pressure and temp sensor show a single wire to each of them, and ground connection to each of them. So, if the oil pressure drops or the water temp gets too high, they connect line 4 to ground, which will short out the coil and kill the engine.

This is my best guess on what is going on here.

As far as other instruments, what have you got? Tachs typically have some sort of pick up sensor that you will have to install separately. The oil pressure and temperature appear to be just switches (open/closed), so you won't be able to get an actual pressure or temperature reading from them, just a good/bad indication.

I hope this helps.
-Jim

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Hello Jimmy, I kind of follow some of what you indicate but maybe I will go out to the boat motor tomorrow am carefully study each wires path and connection and see if that makes a difference. I have been looking at the diagram for a few days and the motor but Being a hard headed kind of old guy I am struggling to wrap my mind around it. I thank you for your feedback. As for my instruments they are Sierra ones, all are electric. Your explanation of the oil and temp senders tied into the motor neutral safety switch helps clear things up for me.
have a photo that kind of shows that side of the motor where the oil and water temp sensors are located.[/img]
Attachments
40248484_451885631989080_6807717021803872256_n.jpg

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Thank you to all I have the wiring all hooked up and am almost ready to try starting the old girl.

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Thank you to all I have the wiring all hooked up and am almost ready to try starting the old girl.

Return to “Boat Power”