Car or marine engine?

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

flabio

Car or marine engine?

Post by flabio » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:16 pm

What is the difference between a 350 Chevy car motor an a 350 mercruiser marine engine. Is one more preferrable over the other to use for and inboard

basilkies

Post by basilkies » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:39 am

Car engines become marine engines by changing some parts. Alternators, fuel pumps, carburators and other parts don't get along in a marine environment. There are also issues with closed engine compartments about fuel and explosions. I've also seen automotive softplugs get blown out and then the engine starts pumping water into the boat.

rasorinc

car vs. marine engine

Post by rasorinc » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:27 pm

You can google this subject and have a lifetime of reading. Look up some Glen L news letters on the subject. Glen L even sells some marinization
parts. research, research, research.

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:40 pm

about 10K in cost :lol:

J/k...well sort of.....as was said already you can convert a car engine into a marine engine.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:42 pm

I'm think the cam gets changed out, too. A marine engine is always under load. You're not going to coast far.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:44 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:I'm think the cam gets changed out, too. A marine engine is always under load. You're not going to coast far.

Bill
of course depending on what you want your boat to do a marine cam and a short track (roundy round racing) cam are very simular :wink:

craig larson

car or marine engine?

Post by craig larson » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:20 pm

Am looking for a 20 - 40 HP diesel for (stretch) Eagle. Today I came across a neighbor with 1989 VW diesel for sale...runs great, low miles. He wants the car, not the engine. 150$ with tranny. Will it work?

Craig

Nova SS

Re: car or marine engine?

Post by Nova SS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:28 pm

c david wrote:Am looking for a 20 - 40 HP diesel for (stretch) Eagle. Today I came across a neighbor with 1989 VW diesel for sale...runs great, low miles. He wants the car, not the engine. 150$ with tranny. Will it work?

Craig
I guess it will all come down to IF the conversion parts are available for this particular motor.

craig larson

Post by craig larson » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Found a discussion that helped me a lot...and some parts producers.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=650

...food for thought.

Craig

craig larson

Post by craig larson » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:44 am

FYI,

I just got off the phone with Lansing Marine, UK. The engine I'm looking at putting in the Eagle needs to be rated 20 - 40 HP. I have a VW diesel - 1.6L = 49HP, 3600 rpm, max. (I will run at 2100 rpm). Talking to them, 'if you have basic skills for engine work', marinization is no harder - no smoke-and-mirrors here, guys. For the VW (which I got for 150$), the kit (high volume water pump kit to supply engine and manifold separately, manifold/heat exchanger, hose kit, clip kit), bell housing, drive plate (no need to change out alt. or starter on these models) comes all total to 2700$. A different starter motor for VW is needed as the stock motor conflicts with the new bell housing...so that's a Passat starter from VW. No added oil cooling is needed with my anticipated displacement hull speed. I'll put a throttle limiter on to ensure longer life for the engine. I'll also redo rings, timing belt, idler and bearings while I'm at it. Tecmar out of Brasil is 7K$ for the same engine...and if done in Canada it's 13K$. I just got my project for next winter when it's -40 outside. Of course, consider the engine and the application...

Craig

p.s. - has anyone on here actually done a marinization? I'd be interested to hear...

Return to “Boat Power”