V6

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

rasorinc

V6

Post by rasorinc »

It is an easy job to pump a few more horses out of the 4.3 V6 if you find you want more after trial runs.
Wood lasts generations.

Butch Barto

Post by Butch Barto »

V6 Baah you need that V8 rumble

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod »

If you've seen, heard and ridden in Butch's Tahoe, you'll know why he's sold on BIG V8's. :P

Can you tell us more about your boat (type of boat, weight, new/used engine, carbureted or EFI,
transmission ratio etc), its current performance (MPH and RPM), your expectations (how you use
the boat and how fast do you want to go). Lastly, what is your budget.

If you've exausted engine and prop tuning, hopping up a 4.3 is feasible but it may be more cost
effective to step up to a V8. Performance cylinder heads, camshaft, valve train components,
carburetion and more efficient exhaust manifolds can add up quickly and may compromise reliability.
A larger displacement V8 with more HP and torque may meet your expectations and be more
reliable in the long run.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

kens

Post by kens »

Somewhere I saw a article listing the 'basic stock' Chevys in order of power/weight ratio. As I remember it was:
1. (best) 262 V6
2. BBC
3. SBC

however, if you have the need for the V8 rumble, then there is no substitute.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

:D I remember at the first Gathering, John Bowen and I were at the grill cooking chicken on Friday, when I heard a rumbling out on the lake. Without looking I said, "That is Butch Barto!" :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Bill Edmundson wrote:: Without looking I said, "That is Butch Barto!" :)
LOL. I did EXACTLY the same thing. :lol: That's because a lot of v8s sound good but Butch's is special. It's a big block, am I right? It's even unique among V8s.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

kens

Post by kens »

I think that is why Butch went with the side exhaust.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Three sound that you don't forget:

1. A Big Harley Davidson

2. A High Torque Big Block V8

3. A Radial Engine or just a WWII fighter engine.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Bill Edmundson wrote:Three sound that you don't forget:

1. A Big Harley Davidson

2. A High Torque Big Block V8

3. A Radial Engine or just a WWII fighter engine.

Bill
Or
4.the whine of a performance v-drive

5.a blower with a gilmer belt drive or a gear drive for a cam in a performance engine

kens

Post by kens »

The Reno Air Races..........a pumped up P-51 with water injection, overkill boost, and coming around the last pylon............A V-12 screeming a 4 bladed prop...........

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Near where we live is John C Tune airport. Some fella has a p-51 there and he flies it on perfectly cloudless days. You can hear that beautiful sound long before you see the plane.

I love the sound of those old radial engines as well. ...Beech 18, ahhh.

I think one of the best sounds was John Milner's Duece Coupe in "American Graffitti." ...cammed up nailhead Buick.
Last edited by Dave Grason on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Damn One Uppers! :lol:

I've heard that P-51! As soon as I heard it I knew it was something different!

Bill
Last edited by Bill Edmundson on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens »

Bill Edmundson wrote:Damn One Uppers! :lol:

I've heard than P-51! As soon as I heard it I knew it was something different!

Bill
Most of the noise comes from the prop though, the tips are near sonic speed. At wide open power the prop tips are trying to bust the speed of sound, the prop is growling more than the exhaust note. But, there is something going on there, a 4 blade prop on a 12 cylinder engine, it ends up with some kind of a 'beat frequency harmonics' that growls.

F4-U Corsair aint bad either.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

F4-U Corsair ain't bad either.
Hands Down! My favorite plane! In a steep dive they say it whistles. The Japanese called it whistling death.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Yeah, listen to that 18 cylinder Pratt & Whitney R2800 crank over on start-up and run up to 800 RPM idle, then the take-off run, then a low level fly-by at 200 MPH. ARR ARR ARR... That's an engine sound like none other.

By the way, New England Boat and Motor Co. in New Hampshire has built one-off reproductions of famous Gold Cup racing boats, like Edsel Ford's Typhoon... they found some left-over Merlin V-12 tank engines from WWII and put them in some of their boats. Very impressive sound there too...
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Boat Power”