Inboard Winterizing Checklist

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jamundsen

Re: Inboard Winterizing Checklist

Post by jamundsen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:32 pm

I know what you mean. Its going to get really cold here tonight. We're having a bonfire to stay warm. its supposed to get down to 65. I'll have to turn the furnace on for my wife. :D
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:16 pm

psychobilly wrote:Ahhhhh the old "winterize checklist" are already fly'n.... I reckon I will go ahead and do mine too... See'ns how we ain't got no wader in the lake to be able to use her....

Bruce, I don't see remove the wader pump impeller, lubricate with Vaseline, and put in zip lock on your list... That's something that's recommended in my Indmar Manual. I zip tie mine to the wader pump so I don't forget it.

Also to loosen the belts up... makes since to me....

That may be a worthwhile step to add in the "general" list. My waterpump is from a '63 Chris Craft engine, and the impeller is made of Bronze vs. the rubber from those "newfangled" engines.

FWIW, when I went out to start the task today, it was actually snowing (but just a little). Sheesh. (But I got in a very pleasant 9 holes this afternoon)

I'll do the tupperware boat tomorrow before I head back to the city.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:48 pm

white stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! YUCK!!!!!

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:17 pm

I'd love to have a white Christmas... only ever seen the stuff a couple times.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:24 pm

We'll be running the Hot Rod until the ice sets in. This year we have to shoot a video when the exhaust plume crystalizes in the air and is still visible several minutes after you've made a run. Maybe I can get Al and Bruce to join in the fun !

We fired up the sled on its maintenance stand last week. Something about 8000 RPM flashes and the smell of two stroke exhaust to really put you in the mood for snow ...

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

v-driver

Post by v-driver » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Trackhappy wrote:I'd love to have a white Christmas... only ever seen the stuff a couple times.
You gotta be careful what you ask for... you might get it.

I live by the axiom, "Anywhere people can make a living from moving snow around is the wrong place to live." That said, I'm off to South Dakota on Tuesday. They got their first snow of the season last week. Happily, I'm only there for a few days!
Paul Miller in Memphis, TN
"Yeah, I had lunch with him last week at the Cracker Barrel out on I-40."

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:43 am

Mr Hot Rod wrote:We'll be running the Hot Rod until the ice sets in. This year we have to shoot a video when the exhaust plume crystalizes in the air and is still visible several minutes after you've made a run. Maybe I can get Al and Bruce to join in the fun !

We fired up the sled on its maintenance stand last week. Something about 8000 RPM flashes and the smell of two stroke exhaust to really put you in the mood for snow ...

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com
Paul I have riden a lot of stuff in my short life, hot rods, motorcycles (the chopper with a 127" V twin with flames come'n out eggsawst) and cars and trucks, 4 wheelers, BUT nothing can compare to the time at Kakwa falls in Grand Prairie on a ski doo. MAN!!! I must admit I was attempting to be a logger for the first hour but I eventually got it. IMHO, there's NOTHING like a skidoo between your legs!!!! WOW

NMMARENG

Post by NMMARENG » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:19 pm

Marvel Mystery Oil works good for fogging the cylinders. An old trick for initial flushing of the cooling system with fresh water before draining and using antif freeze (propylene glycol if available) uses the head from a standard old household plunger. You can attach the hose to it with a hose clamp and set it right up to the suction scoop on the bottom. You can also do this for drawing in the antifreeze.

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:31 am

While you guys are all at G7, this is what I'll be doing today....

1) add fuel stabilizer to tank, run engine for five minutes
2) Change the oil
3) shut the seacock and empty the sea strainer.
4) drain all water from the engine drain plugs (water jacket, manifolds)
5) run the engine while filling with marine engine antifreeze until it comes out the exhaust.
6) run engine while spraying fogging oil into carburetor (try to stall the engine by flooding the carb w the fogging oil). Shut off fuel.
7) remove each spark plug and spray cylinder with fogging oil. Replace spark plugs (if you want belt and suspenders). Turn the engine over.
8 ) disconnect bilge pump hose and drain the bilge.
9) Remove battery and store indoors.

(I know it's early to do this, but I have travel plans for the next several weeks, and I need to beat the frost)

Have fun.
Bruce.

~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

bob smith

Post by bob smith » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:21 am

Or you can move to sunny South Carolina!
Come on down!
Bob Smith
Chester, SC
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:20 am

but I am also getting my snowmobiles ready for the coming season!!! I like my variety, thanks.
Bruce.

Dow's Monaco Project

kens

Post by kens » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:53 am

Good to hear from you Bruce. I was thinking maybe you were all gone or something.
Hopefully I can see you next at G8
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Hello Bruce

Good see you here. Hope you have some snow this year. :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Boat Power”