How to make a old man cry!!!!

Jimmy70

How to make a old man cry!!!!

Postby Jimmy70 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:51 am

Bill and Lauren sent me a box full of beer coolers with "WE MISS YOU JIMMY70, COME BACK NEXT YEAR." and with all kinds of personal signatures on them. I really appreciate the thoughts that you have extended to me and got to say I really missed coming to the event this year too. I thought I was going to make it and then it just seemed I fell apart at the seams a lot faster than I wanted to.

Bill I hope the old shoulder is under repair and feeling much better by now. I know when I had mine done in 2002 it hurt like hell for a few days but at least I have full use of the shoulder. So don't do anything stupid and hurt it all over again....

I don't think I mentioned it but I did cut up the last boat I built, the Orange one, Barge, and had it hauled off to the trash pile. I did not even want to give it away as it was so bad so I just got out my saws and had at it and two hours it was a pile of rubble. My biggest mistake was using a 1962 design and not using Glen L design for the boat.

I will be going on dialysis this coming 19th and will be doing it at home with a unit called NxStage, which seems to be the way to go now days. It is much easier on the body and the heart. I know I will be looking forward to getting the crap out of my system and feeling much better than I have been. The crappy part of it all is that one has to use it every day for 2 hours to clean up the blood but it should extend my lifetime for a bit longer. I hope it will clear up the mind as it seems it drags me down now days.

Thanks again for all of the signatures and the coolers and your thoughts.
Jimmy70
Dreams are free, Reality cost money.

Oyster

Re: How to make a old man cry!!!!

Postby Oyster » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Keep your chin up buddy. Thats just too cool. There are some super people here on the forum. By all means check in when you get online and let us know if you need anything for sure.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:32 pm

Glad things are looking up for you Jimmy!!! :D

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Jimmy - You have been an inspiration to us all. Glad to hear you are up and about. Our prayers are with you and hopefully you can visit with us next year.

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi Jimmy.

Great to hear from you.

Too bad about the "orange crush"... we'll get 'em next time.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Jimmy,

How did the dialysis go for you? Keep us posted okay? We miss you!

Jimmy70

Postby Jimmy70 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi Gayle
My first go around was at the clinic but with the machine I will using at home in a couple weeks time. We, wife and I have some learning to do on the operation of the machine but so far it is not that complicated as it is computer run and pretty fail safe. If you have alarms we have a book that tells what the alarm is about and then what to do in laymans terms. The nurse we have helping us along has been at this for quite sometime so she knows the ins and outs of what is going on and she takes her time explaining the steps.
I was only on for 2 hrs @ time both times but will extend that to a full run Friday of about 2.5 hrs or if the machine says you can go and your fluid and body levels are okay you can get off early. Also it looks from the blood work I can get by with 5 times a week instead of 6 times a week as I still have some kidney function left. How long that last we have no idea but I will take all the free time I can get off of the machine for sure. The first day we just cleaned the blood and then today we removed some body fluids of about .5 liter. It will depend up on how much fluid I drink during the day to how much will have to be extracted later. The more fluid you have the longer you are on the machine and that is calculated by your weight. If i have a normal weight of 145 lbs and I come into the clinic with 148 or so then that will have to be removed and of course the more you have the longer it takes. We also took it pretty easy these two days but I think come Monday we will push for a faster flow rate thru the filter system. Then once the Button Holes are established in the veins then they will use a bigger needle to help the flow rates. I think we will make it okay for a spell anyway.
Thanks for asking as I really enjoy the crowd of people I have meet along the way.
Jimmy

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:34 am

Keep getting Better, Jimmy!!! We're all rooting for you!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 am

Glad to hear it's going well.... Amen to Roberta's comment!

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Jimmy I can't believe it took hooking you up to a machine to get you to slow your butt down a bit! Stop and smell the roses for a while. You've already built more than most of us will ever dream of building so you are way ahead....you can afford to cruise for a while...but if we know you...you are sitting there for that 2 and a half hours just planning your next project!

Will keep you in my prayers...and keep those pics comin when you get time. I don't care if it's a boat or a gitfiddle, I like em both!

Steve

Jimmy70

Postby Jimmy70 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:54 am

Hi All
Nothing like some news now and then to keep things rolling along. Leakcheck, Thanks for the encourging words.
Got my first week on the machine and learning how to make all of the hookups and get it rolling along to clean the blood. It really is quite a machine and I suppose the engineering department needs a good pat on the back for making the machine mostly bullet proof. It is mostly computer controlled of course and does a 15 minute check on itself to make sure the parameters are working okay. It has 3 eyes to spot any air leaks if there are any and auto stop to keep from harming you.
The nurse of course is quite smart and I have to say she knows the machine ins and outs and she teaches you step by step and quite through about it too. I asked her what does she do with people that are slow learners, she said just keep doing it over and over....
There are 40 steps to get on to the machine and about 10 to get off but most of them are pretty quick steps. Blood clamps and hose connections all over the place it seems but it is doable.
I did ask her how long would one live if they decided to bail off of the machine. One Week.
and she said you would not even know most of it. Problem is getting off the machine the heart takes a beating and stops from to much potassium. Not to interested in that right now either....I will just keep ticking along as long as my brain still has some good functions.
Take care all and thanks for the kind words now and then.
Jimmy

slug

Postby slug » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:43 pm

That's the spirit Jimmy :)

Doug

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Jimmy

We're with you.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:05 am

Hang in there, Jimmy!!! See you at G6!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:11 am

It's amazing what that machine can do--hang in there friend...

Return to “Gathering 2011”