Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:15 am 

Not a huge deal but two of the local lumber producers in my county won't deal in small quantities like 100 board feet. That's too bad it would have been very convenient to buy from them. I did find some qtr sawn S2S white oak one county over for $4.00 board foot however they only have 4/4 and I'm going to need a bit of 5/4 too for the Geronimo.

Still looking for a semi-local source for marine grade ply and even exterior AB ply. Closest source I've found so far is about 3 hours away. Not too bad but still.

Building a Geronimo......!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:32 am 

Goodness...I would have figured you'd have tons of options since you are so close to Ashville and Hickory...two of the larger wood furniture manufacturing locations in the US.

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:33 am 

Ask a local cabinet guy about the AB Fir stuff. See if his supplier sells it since most order in plywood from about two to three major suppliers in North Carolina. Many times they can just add the needed sheets to their order and actually save you any and all shipping. Georgia Pacific, McKewen[Sp] and Hardwoods Store in Greensboro area sells solid timber along with sheet plywood. Down in the Greenville area in South Carolina some of the guys on here purchase lumber and hopefully will chime in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:36 am 

The guy that cuts my hair also makes cabinets. I'm due for a trim so I'll ask him.

I sent a list of what I need to Capitol City Lumber in Raleigh but haven't heard back yet. They were on the Glen-l site.

The one place I did get a quote from for the white oak also has AB ply with waterproof glue but the person I talked to said its not an exterior product. They supply cabinetmakers in the area. She asked me if I was a cabinetmaker.

Anyways, being able to find the plywood in the Greenville area would be great. You'd think there would be a supplier there somewhere being that there are some pretty big lakes in that area.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 am 

Here's where I went: http://www.suwaneelumber.com/
Based on google maps, that's about 3 hours from you.
I was happy with them. The prices seemed pretty good, and you could buy in any quantity. Even just one board (which I ended up needing to do, since my initial calculations were just a bit off).

But I agree ttownshaw, it sounds crazy they there wouldn't be more availability in the woodworking capital of the country. :?

My Celerity build.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:02 pm 

I'm going to keep looking locally. There have got to be more suppliers. I'm sure if I was buying 500-1000 board feet I could buy from just about anybody.