Acrylic 2k problems

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

pointo

Acrylic 2k problems

Post by pointo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Guys,
I haven't posted for a while and my Renegade, I keep thinking, is ready for turning over, but alas, I cannot seem to get the paint right.

I have sprayed BoteCote Aquacote your equivalent is System 3 without much joy. I found the paint did not spread well and dried far too quickly and the gloss level is no where near what I was hoping. I got a much better result spraying normal enamel paint on my sons toy box I built him. The temperature that I sprayed was around 17-24 deg Celcius and about 30% humidity average.

I have used septone marine cut and polish to try and get a nice finish and it has given me a very smooth finish but i am a bit concerned that it has taken off the very top layer that protects the paint (I don't know if this is how it works).

Now I am trying to get information on spraying 2k polyurethane to try and get a superior finish, but I cannot get anyone to tell me if I can spray 2k polyurethane over 2k acrylic.

Any help would be great.

Cheers
David

red

Re: Acrylic 2k problems

Post by red » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:04 pm

you should be able to to spray over it just block it down real good with 600 gritt sand paper your biggest problem is going to be getting all the wax from the buffing compoud off the surface and out of the finish

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:29 am

I assume the Botecote is water based. Your humidity was too low. You should be applying it in 45-50% humidity. I have used the System Three WR-LPU Clear Gloss on two boats with great results. Using foam rollers and thinning about 10% I achieved a really nice gloss finish with no sanding or buffing. It took about five coats over epoxy resin sanded to 220. I think the paint is flashing too quickly for you at those low humidity conditions.

With spraying, you may also be holding the gun too far way and/or getting overspray on adjacent surfaces just sprayed. This paint is very tricky and needs many thin coats as it likes to run and curtain if applied too heavily.

You can clean-sand-reclean using Dupont Final Kleen before repainting. The Final Kleen will remove silicates and waxes.

Roberta :D

Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

pointo

Post by pointo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:59 pm

Guys,

Thanks for your advice. I was really hoping not to have any more sanding for the bottom and sides but I think there will be.

With the boat being big 21' I had to cover up half of the bottom whilst I sprayed one side to stop the overspray, and, unfortunately I live in a low humidity climate which makes things difficult.

And as for the runs and curtains I found out early not to spray too thick

My other option is to buy some vinyl wrap and put that on the side of the boat. I just don't want to sand anymore.

Cheers
David

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:28 am

A 21 footer definetly poses issues. You might be better off using a solvent based paint and use a retarder to keep it from flashing too quickly. Rolling and tipping might be a better option than spraying. I feel your pain about sanding.

If you are painting indoors, you could try wetting the floor and maybe use a steamer for wall paper to increase humidity if you want to continue using the water base paint. I know I liked using it a lot as the product is safer and does not smell.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Painting”