Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Postby mrintense » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:07 pm

I decided to move my previous forum posting (21 foot boat in a 21 foot garage) to this new posting since I have now moved past the dreaming stage of the project.

So I'm pretty stoked today. I received my Vera Cruise plans and started going over them. Lots of good stuff in the package. Glen L puts together a nice package for building. Thanks Glen L!

I'm still prepping my garage for the build, so I will be researching and planning for a bit longer. I have to figure out what lumber to buy, and make sure that I am going to be able to construct the boat in the garage. It will be tight, but I think it is doable. One of the other builders in the customer photos archive has posted a picture of a nearly completed Vera Cruise in a garage that looks very similar in size to mine. So I am encouraged that my garage will be big enough.

Very much looking forward to the next steps in this project.

:D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

metalstorm

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Postby metalstorm » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:08 am

mrintense wrote:I decided to move my previous forum posting (21 foot boat in a 21 foot garage) to this new posting since I have now moved past the dreaming stage of the project.

So I'm pretty stoked today. I received my Vera Cruise plans and started going over them. Lots of good stuff in the package. Glen L puts together a nice package for building. Thanks Glen L!

I'm still prepping my garage for the build, so I will be researching and planning for a bit longer. I have to figure out what lumber to buy, and make sure that I am going to be able to construct the boat in the garage. It will be tight, but I think it is doable. One of the other builders in the customer photos archive has posted a picture of a nearly completed Vera Cruise in a garage that looks very similar in size to mine. So I am encouraged that my garage will be big enough.

Very much looking forward to the next steps in this project.

:D

Nice, I added your blog to my follow list, will keep watching as you go.

Its pretty addicting, Just started putting my transom and stem together tonight. Every time I make progress on it I get more excited to finish it :P

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 am

I hope to start in about 3 or 4 weeks. Would like to start sooner but won't have the funds until the end of the month for the lumber, then have to order and wait for delivery. Oh well, I'll just have to work on some other aspect of the boat. The beauty of building a boat as a hobby is that it encompasses so many different tasks and I feel like I have a boatload (pardon the pun) of things to do for the next several years.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

metalstorm

Postby metalstorm » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Yup thats the same plan as me, most of the time I am just waiting on the next step because of cash.

One thing with the lumber you may want to try is contacting some of the wholesale lumber suppliers, I have no idea if I just lucked out or not but I contacted a few of the ones locally and one of the guys was really nice, I explained what I wanted and what I was doing and he hooked me up with a really good deal on white oak even though I only got around 40 board feet, was well under 200 bucks and that covered all my framing.

Everywhere else I looked was a lot more than that especially to ship it.

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Postby mrintense » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:47 am

So I'm thinking of how I want the boat to look. She is planked using 3/8" plywood per the blueprints. I am wondering about the possibility of using thinner plywood say for example 1/4" and then laying a second layer of 1/8" mahogany similar to the approach used in cold molding. The mahogany would be strips and glued to the plywood in the same manner as in cold molding. The final thickness of the plywood and the mahogany strips would be 3/8" and would allow me to finish the hull in a natural wood finish instead of painting.

Now I haven't made up my mind on this yet but I did want to get opinions from the more experienced builders out there. Will this work? And is it going to be strong enough?

A second question I have, is from looking at the plans, it appears that the planking is capped at the bow joint by half round brass. This seems strange to me since the bow is curved up from the keel. Trying to get a nice curve on a piece of half round brass to match this seems like an exercise in frustration. I am going to do more research on this but the bottom line question I have is, what method is used to cover the joint between the two skins at the bow when you want a boat with a natural wood finish?

As an alternative I am considering cutting a piece of mahogany to the same curve as the stem, trimming it to approximately 1 inch square in cross section, and then using it as a cap over this joint.

As a side note, I will probably not be using a metal cutwater to cover the joint.

Thanks for any advice!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Carl,

I am certain that if you use 1/4" ply and laminate 1/8" planking strips on the hull you will have more than enough strength in the hull. I'd use a quality 1/4" ply for sure. All that epoxy on the outside, and I am assuming you will fiberglass overtop as well, will make for a rock-solid (or rock-resistant) hull.

Roberta did something like that on her ZIP. I believe she used the full 1/4" thickness spec'd then added the 1/8" laminates, and it looks fantatic to me!

On my bow I used 7/8" x 1/4" mahogany lumber to trim it out, and even that was a bit of fun to bend, but it worked (with a lot of fasteners).
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi Carl,

Like Iggy wrote, quality 1/4" plywood and a 1/8" laminate should be fine. You might even consider using 3/16" veneer for a little extra strength and use a good thickened epoxy like Glen Ls to do the laminating.

I think you can create a very nice joint along the stem, if that is what you mean. Mine was really nice using the veneer. I wanted a cutwater, otherwise I could have left it natural. The halfround will be somewhat maleable, but could be tricky. The really curved part will probably be painted at the waterline, so you might not need to do too much bending. It's good to have something up front to take the abusiveness of docking and trailering.

Best of luck in the build,

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Postby mrintense » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Thanks for responding Roberta and Iggy.

I suspected that the laminate approach would be okay. Barring some reason not to, I will probably use this approach. I realize the amount of work to do the planking will increase considerably, but this boat is intended to be a labor of love as much as an eventual ride around the lake. So the extra labor doesn't bother me, especially if I can get the look I am after.

Iggy, it occurs to me that rather than cutting to the curve for the joint cover as I was thinking, or forcing the wood to bend, I might try building a form the same curve as the stem and then steaming the wood to fit. Ideally, I want a nice finished cap that blends right into the paneling on the sides and bottom.

Here is a drawing of what I am considering for the look of the boat. It's not a good drawing but it's good enough to get the idea across. The light blue line and ovals represent a chrome (or shiny stainless steel) strip connected to two elliptical windows in the fwd berth area.
Attachments
PaintSchemeIdea1024.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:36 pm

I might be overstating how tough it was to bend 1/4" thick lumber... the tricky part was the curve + the slight bow + the tapering of the front of the boat. I tried a 1 .5" x 1/4" strip for starters and it wouldn't make the triple-curve. The 3/4" flexed pretty good, and a bit of thickened (colored to match) epoxy filled any small gaps in the twist.

You will learn to love thickened epoxy. I know I did. Made a hack like me look sorta professional. It makes skilled persons like yourself and Roberta look flawless.

Steaming it will probably do the trick. My Sapelle lumber was pretty friendly to bends and I only had 1 chine snap on me during fit-up.

Save your good grain stuff of stuff like that.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:03 pm

That will look nice!!!

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Postby mrintense » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Just a quick update.I'm working on the lumber purchase plan right now so nothing to show or post. I did create an easel to hold my blueprints.It was basically a warm up to get construction going. There's a picture in the link in my blog (by my signature).
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

belphil

Postby belphil » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:10 am

Hello all Vera aficionados! I'm JB, from UK.

Thanks clipper for response and happy to know that I'm not the only one. Originally I bought the full plan for the Phantom, a fly bridge cruiser of 27" but after study I realise that it will be out of my pocket and skills thus the Vera is perfect.

My intention is to build the Vera for blue sea cruising in Philippines. For that reason I would like to have a larger cockpit thus increasing the distance between each frame by 10% starting from frame 5 and not 6 (if my understanding is correct!!!).

As I’m in UK now and will be building the Vera when in holidays, I will build a model from the plan. This will help me to understand in more detail the plan before doing the real one.

I have started to draw a plan will all electric parts and wiring (enclosed pic) maybe over the top! As everyone knows the bigger cost is the engine, I’m looking for a used 60HP which I hope will be enough to move around at 15 knots but can not see any short shaft in Philippines. I will also increase the height of the cockpit sole in order to fit a bigger fuel tank otherwise it will be as per the plan.

Hope to see your progress in pic and will be happy to try to respond to any new issue you may have.
Attachments
VERA Electric drawing3.PNG
Happy sailing

JB
Belphil
UK - Philippines

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:52 pm

Hello JB, welcome to my thread.

I like the electrical drawing. I haven't even begun to think about that part of the build. But I can see where it will become necessary at some point. I "borrowed" the image as a reference if you don't mind.

My intention is to try the optional inboard / outboard approach, although that depends upon feedback from Glen L first. I've just started working on my lumber purchase plan and hope to do that by the end of the week. After that, I need to complete clearing out my garage and preparing for the first phase of construction.

I don't think that your drawing is over the top. I am doing something similar with a building plan that I am putting together. It's a multiple page document that covers all aspects of the build and includes links to various references and other documents. I spent some time trying to think of everything I could about the build. I have the plan stored online so I can access it anytime I have a thought. when I hear something that I want to reference later, it goes into the plan.

I can't be perfect but I can sure try and the plan is my approach to doing that. I am only going to get one shot at this so it has to be right. My approach is to treat this as a hobby and to take whatever time is needed to accomplish each step.

welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing more of your build as well as contributing to any issues that need to be resolved.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Denon Osterman

Postby Denon Osterman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:19 pm

Hey Carl,

Just going back to your earlier questions - I'd second using some slightly thicker (say 3/16), as the sanding to get it to look nice will take some off. I went almost all the way through my 1/8th stuff in some places! As for the front junction, you might not need to cap it - I'll send you a closeup of how mine looks right now, and it definitely looks fine without one (and I'm not even very good at this!)

Denon

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:47 am

Denon Osterman wrote: I'd second using some slightly thicker (say 3/16)

I agree with that assessment. I'm still putting my lumber purchase plan together and that was one of the things I was worried about as well.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”