Tahoe 23

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Tony Hain

Tahoe 23

Postby Tony Hain » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi from Down Under
Tahoe Tony from Tiaro (Seems the thing to do but you can just call me Tony)

I have just retired from teaching, live on 60 acres 2 1/2 hrs. drive north of Brisbane (Capital of Queensland Australia) and am 2nd officer of our local volunteer rural fire brigade. I thought maybe a project would be a good thing when I retired. Save the marriage, in the shed rather than underfoot. The forum and the people on it have been really great. I have learned so much by just following the thread. Hopefully I'll remember the info when it comes time to need it. Reached a bit of a milestone in the build. Have finished the framework and am just cleaning up the dags and epoxying the bits that will be hard to get at once the planking starts.
Probably wont start that until the New Year as off to Sydney for Christmas with my wife's family and have been called out every day for the last 10 days to bushfires and with the summer we are having I think that will be the norm. Seems I gave up full time paid employment for full time unpaid employment.
I have been having problems with posting pictures. Every time I try to add files it ends up on a blank page after uploading so I'll send this and worry about the pictures later.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

vupilot

Re: Tahoe 23

Postby vupilot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Tony read this post about posting pictures. Hope it helps. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20693

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:43 pm

Thanks vupilot
Yes I've read and responded to that post, but it has simply got me baffled why I can upload some pictures but not the others. So I assume it must be something to do with the properties of the pictures. Not an IT person myself. Hopefully someone can Help.
Trackhappy where are you when I need you? :lol:
Tony Hain

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am

Well finally sorted out the photo uploads. It was simply a matter of size. YES! OBVIOUSLY SIZE DOES MATTER, but in this case too big. I downsized the pictures and it works. Yah! :D So I'll just do the main pictures to bring the project up to date. I have seen people say they can only upload 3 picture per reply so I'll see what happens.
Attachments
P1000045a.jpg
P1000044a.jpg
Transom yet to be fixed
P1000042a.jpg
Frames located and glued
Tony Hain

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:18 am

Well it seems 3 attachments is the limit so here are some more
Attachments
P1000055a.jpg
P1000054a.jpg
Fitting the transom
P1000047a.jpg
Seemed a good idea at the time. Stainless steel for frame blocking but next time I'll just use wood
Tony Hain

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:23 am

Last lot of photos for the day. Don't want to bore you all (Like a neighbour's holiday slideshow night)
Attachments
P1000050a.jpg
Fixing the stem
P1000056a.jpg
Stem frames fitted
P1000057a.jpg
First lamination of the keel
Tony Hain

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:12 pm

The chine was the most challenging part so far. At any moment I thought I would have a pile of expensive firewood. By the way I am using Hoop Pine for the frame members and the longitudinals. It has been used in Australia quite extensively for smaller boats.
I tried butt joining the chine to the stem with a compounded angle joint but working mostly on my own found this unweildy, so I ended up checking in a mortise to create a socket for the chine to locate into the stem. This created a more positive location when srewing it onto the stem.
The only steaming consisted of wrapping a damp clothe around the chine where it had its hardest bends and I clamped it till it dried. This prebending made it fairly straight forward when it came time to glue up.
Attachments
Chine 14.12.2011 001a.jpg
Chine 14.12.2011 002a.jpg
Chines meet stem
Chine 14.12.2011 003a.jpg
View of chines from transom
Tony Hain

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:27 pm

A couple of more photos of the chine looking alone the side.
Attachments
Chine 14.12.2011 006a.jpg
Chine 14.12.2011 005a.jpg
Tony Hain

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Next came the laminated sheer. Since it was a lamination I didn't worry about scarf joints like I did on the chine but just used simple butt joints located in the straighter aft section. It was rather tedious bevelling the notches so that the sheer would lay fair, but mainly because it was so low, unlike the chine notches that I could do standing up. All in all quite pleased with my efforts.
Attachments
P1000087a.jpg
P1000088a.jpg
P1000089a.jpg
Tony Hain

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:47 pm

The floor looks a lot more natural with saw dust on it :!: :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Needs more sawdust!

I remember how uncomfortable it was to do the shears, and how nerve-racking it was to do the chine. I also remember how much relief I felt when I got past those points.

Everything looks good to me. Next you get to fuss over fairing... it was my least favorite part of the build, but you will get the hang of it, so hang in there.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Before installing the battons I carried out an initial fairing on the frames and main longitudinals. I found an electric hand planer and grinder with a 4" sanding disk worked for me, but had to be careful with the grinder as it could be a bit aggressive even using 120 grit.
One thing that amazed me was how the human eye can pick up small discrepancies in a curve or line. One of my chines was a bit flat at frame 2 on one side. It was about 2-3mm out of fair yet stood out like the proverbial dogs' b***s. Basicly I used a bit of epoxy and glue filler to build it up.
Attachments
P1000090a.jpg
The grey on the chine is the glue filler to fair the chine at frame 2
P1000091a.jpg
Tony Hain

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:13 pm

After the initial fairing I set to installing the battons. I bought one of those oscillating multitools. With approx 200 notches for the battons, 3-4 cuts for each, I wasn't about to use a hand saw. Notches cut and checked out with a chisel. Easy. After the battons were installed the tool was also great at cutting the battons off flush with the transom. I can see this machine getting quite a lot of work during the build. I used butt joins again for the battons, locating these in the arft section half way between frames and applying a backing piece the same size as the batton from frame to frame
Things learnt:
1 I didn't need to carry all the battons as far forward as I did. (See pictures)
2 Drill and screw battons on forward frames after the glue sets. I did this for the chines and sheer but forgot when it came to the battons. Hence some snapped and had to be redone.
Attachments
P1000215a.jpg
P1000211a.jpg
P1000213a.jpg
Tony Hain

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:20 pm

A couple more photos of the batton work looking down the sides. By now I could really start to get a true vision of its lines. Interesting how the Tahoe's stern seems to hark back to the barrelback. Very sweet indeed.
Attachments
P1000214a.jpg
P1000212a.jpg
Tony Hain

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:01 am

Hi Tony,

Looks like you are well on your way... is that the latest progress photos or are you further along.... wait till you start getting the first ply lam on...then you will really get to see the shape and cover up all the good work you have already done...good work and hope you are having fun...

Jamie

Return to “Hankinson designs”