Malahini Progress on Long Island, NY

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Andy Garrett

Re: Malahini Progress on Long Island, NY

Postby Andy Garrett » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:37 am

Like everyone else, I love the restoration of the motor!

I didn't think you could put two part urethane over laquer.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

soedesh

Postby soedesh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:56 am

You might be right and I'll watch to see how it holds up over time. I would like to find an enamel of the phantom black for future work. For now it seems fine.

I do know that laquer over enamel rapidly acts as paint remover. :oops:

Moeregaard

Postby Moeregaard » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:53 am

Your motor restoration looks great. I repainted our Mark 55 with PPG Concept polyurethane, with a self-etching primer underneath. We also painted our Zip with this stuff and it's been extremely durable. What's interesting is that the Sand Tan and Quicksilver Green were both 99.99% matches with Ford colors from various years. You might try taking a sample of your Phantom Black to a good automotive paint store to see if they can match it.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:35 am

Looks great, I also get my decals from nymarine and they are very good, as it say's here the 67 decals were printed on brushed style vinyl to make it appear as if they were on brushed metal so I'd say it would be hard to get good copies elsewhere http://www.nymarine.ca/1967MCDEC.html

bigblock

Postby bigblock » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:39 am

soedesh wrote:You might be right and I'll watch to see how it holds up over time. I would like to find an enamel of the phantom black for future work. For now it seems fine.

I do know that laquer over enamel rapidly acts as paint remover. :oops:

I believe you are correct. I've not had a problem with urethanes over laquer... but laquer over enamels and such will lift it as if it were paint remover. Although, due to the laquers quick dry characteristics, I have been able to get away with very thin "dust coats", before appying a heavy coat. I also observed that most "2 part" coatings are a lot better at resisting the lifting than a single "air drying" coating.
Norm II
"All-A-Board"

soedesh

Postby soedesh » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Just wanted to post a pic of my brothers helping me to resaw some genuine mahogany I picked up for the deck. This Doall saw and a nasty looking resawing blade made it pretty easy. We planed the wood, and now I'm ready to get started on the deck as soon as I can finalize my design. I'm currently thinking I'll run a light colored "racing stripe" down the middle of the boat using some maple I have. Decisions, decisions...

(Not sure why my pics always upload upside down.)

photo(10).JPG

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:25 am

ahhhhhh...the smell of wood chips!

I edited your post and fixed the image...I still think you have an Aussie camera and the images are upside down b/c you're using the camera on the wrong continent. Sounds good anyway. :lol:
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Paul Kinneberg

Postby Paul Kinneberg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Holy cow I have seen some big bandsaws but that thing is huge!! That table is bigger than what I have on my tablesaw :lol:

soedesh

Postby soedesh » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:24 am

OK, posting a pic of my start on laminating the mahogany to the deck. I decided to put a stripe down the middle, that is made from maple. I've attached about half of the perimeter, and should finish up the perimeter this weekend. So far so good. I had to pull out all the "heavy stuff" I have laying around to help hold down the mahogany during epoxy curing where I can't easily use clamps - dumbbell weights, bucket full of clamps, 50 lb. bucket of sand, etc.

photo(11).JPG

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:36 am

NY. Are you sure your're not in Australia :?:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

soedesh

Postby soedesh » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Lol. I hope its not too inconvenient to make people turn their monitors upside down to see my pics. I took another photo with my iPhone, this time making sure to have the home button on the right, let's see if that works...

photo(12).JPG

Retroman
Location: Great South Bay, Long Island, NY. Building a Zip/Flying Saucer

Postby Retroman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Wow. Your boats coming along nicely. Vintage mercury is the way to go. Not a popular choice here on long island. What part of the island are you on? I'm in Massapequa.
RetroMan
Built A Zip/Flying Saucer. I do my boating on South Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY
Documenting my build on YouTube @ http://www.youtube.com/SuperUnknownMC

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:33 am

Looking good!
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

soedesh

Postby soedesh » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:20 am

Retroman, I'm from Patchogue. I PM'd you if you ever want to do whatever the boating equivalent to "kicking the tires" is.

soedesh

Postby soedesh » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:47 am

A few quick pics of the mahogany planking inlays. I haven't started sanding/fairing yet, so this is still a little messy. Also, I've noticed that the color of the planks evens out quite a bit when sanded and stained. (I made a prototype with samples from the same pieces to test different stain colors.)

photo(14).JPG

Aft planking inlay still in progress. I love these nifty orange spacers which I picked up at Lowes (tile spacers). They are stable and don't twist and fall into the space between the plank if the plank moves around while placing them.

photo(13).JPG

Return to “Power Boats”