SEA KNIGHT

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Craig Aho

SEA KNIGHT

Postby Craig Aho » Thu May 09, 2013 10:18 am

It has been about 6 months since I last reported in. I spent the winter working on another Pietenpol Air Camper aircraft since I can do so indoors but now that the weather has warmed up I have applied 3 coast of paint to the bottom of my Hull and transom. I still need to glass the sides but think I will do so after turning the Hull right side up so I can continue to work on contructing the foredeck and cabin etc. which I have parts machined and ready to fit and install. I realize I will have a more difficult time glassing the sides that way but so be it. My funds are light and I want to make some building progress on the boat during the summer months while it is warm enough to glue and paint etc. I had glassed the bottom last summer and with the paint it looks very nice. I will post a picture later today. Hope all the Glen-L gang are doing well.

Craig

Craig Aho

Re: SEA KNIGHT

Postby Craig Aho » Thu May 09, 2013 11:24 am

Ok here is a photo peeking inside my tent as to not let the bugs find my fresh paint. The sides of the hull had a lot of mold on them from the winter months even though I covered it up. the bottom and transom had been glassed and primered so no problem there. I have to sand or wipe off the sides. I will also have to clean the inside of the hull as well.

Craig
Attachments
DSC00849.JPG

jbrandt

Postby jbrandt » Thu May 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Looking great! It is always nice to be able to paint something - it gives you a feeling of completion. Keep us posted!

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Mon May 13, 2013 12:06 pm

I went ahead and purchased the rest of the fabric for my Hulls sides and will continue and finish glassing and painting before turning over the Hull, I realize I have all summer to work on it and need to just take my time and enjoy the process. Ine more note, I used Glidden polyurethane floor paint on the bottom and like the results.

Craig

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:21 am

Progress update. I purchased my fabric for the Hull Sides and started to prepare for glassing. I bought a 60" wide roll and cut in half to accommodate both sides. I also used spray adhesive just at the top inch or so of surface to hold the fabric on the mostly verticle in position for resin application. the fabric at the spray rail overlaps about an inch or so with the bottom fabric. I will apply the resin with a squeegee to reduce the amount needed and weight. I'm using 6oz cloth on the sides and about 10oz on the bottom. I hope to have the glassing and paint applied within a month or two and then I can turn the Hull. I have slowed down on this project due to so many other things at home that need maintenance and attention.

Craig
Attachments
DSC00976.JPG
DSC00975.JPG

jprice

Postby jprice » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:47 am

Making progress! :)

Although you might want to do a test on a small piece of scrap to make sure the epoxy bonds ok with the spray adhesive.

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm using polyester resin, cant afford epoxy. I'm retired and building on a tight budget. Don't expect any bonding issues.

Craig

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:40 am

Contined progress as I have now completed the glassing of the hull and have the sides primered. I was a bit disappointed in the resin runs on the sides, I had thought I did a pretty good sanding job but as soon as the primer was on there they were. I think maybe I should have used a roller instead of a brush to apply the resin and maybe would have had better results. I am thinking of turning the hull at this point and will do some more sanding on the sides with it upright so I can enjoy a little wood work for a change from the glassing and painting.
Attachments
DSC00987.JPG

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Wondering If I could turn it over by myself or with my wife's help? Don't really have anyone I could call on for help.
Only other detail is that the stern of the hull is about 2' off the ground so as I start to roll it the stern will fall that distance. Wonder if I could detach the hull from the form and roll it off and down?
Craig

Winger Ed.

Postby Winger Ed. » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:49 pm

In years past, I've used stacks of old car tires as a pad or cushion to move boats on and off a trailer, and turn them over.
I also learned that if ya put a old blanket over them, you don't get big black marks on the hull.
Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
I doubt we shall ever see their likes again.

Unknown US Coast Guard station Commander.
Upper US East Coast. Circca 1920.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 am

Craig Aho wrote:Wondering If I could turn it over by myself or with my wife's help? Don't really have anyone I could call on for help.
Only other detail is that the stern of the hull is about 2' off the ground so as I start to roll it the stern will fall that distance. Wonder if I could detach the hull from the form and roll it off and down?
Craig

Craig,

I think the biggest problem with rolling the boat (especially by yourself) is that you risk flexing the hull in directions it is not intended to flex. Leaving the building form in will stiffen the structure. You could also build rollover framework to help (would add to the weight but would support the structure better). If you have the "Boatbuilding With Plywood" book, they cover several different methods for flipping. There are also numerous different approaches covered in the forum.

Take the the time to think this through because you don't want to damage all the hard work you have in the hull so far. As for people to help, consider asking neighbors even if you don't know them well. Good luck.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:52 am

Thank you Carl and Ed. I do have the Building with Plywood book and a few others which I enjoy reading. I removed all but one spike I had in my form floor member and then testing the lifting at the aft end side. It was not that difficult so I think 2 adult males could actually turn it over but 4 or more would be nice to catch it as it goes over. I may have to wait a couple of weeks when my daughter and my son in law come over that would give me enough help along with a couple of her friends. I am just anxious to turn it and reposition it on blocks for the top side work and cleaning out the mold on the inside of the hull. But I am ahead of my schedule for the summer anyway and I have two vintage dirt bikes to restore and a Pietenpol aircraft to complete along with the usual home repairs to keep me busy for a few weeks.

Craig

Winger Ed.

Postby Winger Ed. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:07 am

Craig Aho wrote:I may have to wait a couple of weeks when my daughter and my son in law come over that would give me enough help along with a couple of her friends.Craig

I think you're on the right track.
Something ya might want to get before the 'flip' is a few 2x4 boards, and about a dozen heavy duty
'C' clamps, or big jawed 'Vice Grips' to hold the sides of the hull where they belong.

The biggest/hardest thing about this---
from my experience with similer projects is to just think it through.
And, don't get in a hurry. Wait for the right tools, and help to come along.
Then................. do it.

Ohhh,,, you have other hobbies too?
BaHHH!!.
I'd recomend ya borrow a neighbor's chainsaw, carve a piston out of one of the dirt bikes--
Then look at it sitting on the Living Room coffee table during commercials as ya watch TV.
Then; when the Daughter & in-law come over, yawl can get on to more important projects-
Like--- your boat.
Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
I doubt we shall ever see their likes again.

Unknown US Coast Guard station Commander.
Upper US East Coast. Circca 1920.

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:16 am

HA HA, Thank you Ed.

darthplywood

Postby darthplywood » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:38 am

WOW! the boat is looking GREAT!
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Return to “Power Boats”