Barrel Back Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

John56

Barrel Back Build

Postby John56 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:09 pm

Ok, here we go folks.

Starting this thread on the first boat in my life. I have been sending PM's to a couple of folks with what I consider total new guy questions that could get me laughed off the forum. They said to "Have at it" and post them.

Here goes, when joining the frames to the gussets, do you suggest the System 3 product?

For the record, I'm 56 and live in South Georgia, so type slow........ :mrgreen:

pamelalynne1

Re: Barrel Back Build

Postby pamelalynne1 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Any epoxy product will work. I use Aeromarine for everything as it is less expensive and is non blushing. Some use West System, others the GlenL or System 3. For gluing you should thicken the epoxy resin or use epoxy glue. You could also elect to use a waterproof glue such as Titebond III for gluing frames and use epoxy resin for encapsulation and wetting out fibreglass cloth.

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi John,

You won't get laughed off here, they are a great bunch... might get ribbed very now and then though. :lol:

I use exclusively West Systems as it is available just down the road. Being on your side of the pond you could order the Glen-L epoxy and know it is right for the job. My main advice (personal opinion) would be don't risk using cheap stuff as it literally holds the boat together and you just don't need disappointments when you are tackling such a project.
Start using the search on the board and you will find a lot of what you might ask has been addressed previously. There is a wealth of information stored away here just waiting to be found.

Welcome and keep us updated even when you don't need answers to questions.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

bbeck

Postby bbeck » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:04 pm

John welcome aboard. I am building the same boat and when the plans showed up and was not sure if I was over my head. The frames one at a time will be fun. Take care Bill
Attachments
boat 006.JPG

tgauthier

Postby tgauthier » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:36 am

I used MASS epoxy on both my boats and had great results. I have seen many builders with the West System and they also make a great product. If I had to do again... I would not have a problem with either one. Bottom line... most epoxy systems out in the market today are really good and you should not have any issues with them.

Ted Gauthier

John56

Postby John56 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words folks.

Just ordered some Glen-L epoxy and tracing paper today. Still need to locate some marine plywood for frame gussets, or is exterior plywood ok for joining frames?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:44 pm

John

Exterior would be probably be fine for gussets. But, you need to watch out for voids. Standards for regular plywood are pretty low.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

red

Postby red » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:51 am

John the shipping on the plywood is what gets you so if you can goo ahead and order up some of the ply toull need for the rest of the boat youll get a much better deal also there are a few places in fla. that sell the mahogany marine ply so if you don't mind driving to pick it up youll save a bunch boat builder central is in Vero beach fla.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:26 am

I ordered ply from Homestead. Shipping wasn't too bad after buying it all at the same time. They give multi sheet discounts.

http://www.marine-plywood.us/

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:44 am

I used System 3 because it is a 2:1 ratio epoxy and you can use a digital kitchen scale to measure the goo and get a perfect mix every time. The pumps fail... or worse... can burp and through off a mix.. I did not use West System because the 5:1 math is not worth it..

All of the epoxies used as glue are very good...

Now - if you are using an epoxy that will go over lightweight cloth and be finished bright - then the ONLY choice is MAS low viscosity resin. That stuff is outstanding and the weave of the cloth is not visible in even the most direct sunlight...

welcome aboard.
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

John56

Postby John56 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Tracing paper arrived Friday. Did the layout on the 4x8 sheet. Thank you Bill E. for tip on starting frames before form build.
Question: The frames require Half-Laps to join the boards. My pedigree is more Fine Woodworking, and wonder if I can use my Bandsaw to make the Half-Laps? Instead of using a router or Dado on the cabinet saw?
I have a couple bandsaws, and would use my tricked out 18in Rikon with the Woodslicer resaw blade. I use it for veneer work.
Would that be ok for joining the frames?

billy c

Postby billy c » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:54 pm

did not realize the frames were half laps :shock:
thought they were butted and gussets added to each side.
bandsaw will come in handy for cutting frames and veneers :D
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

John56

Postby John56 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Well, that's how the drawings look. Am I mistaken?

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:39 pm

John56 wrote:Well, that's how the drawings look. Am I mistaken?

Hi John,

I'm no familiar with your boat's design so I can't answer your question directly, but I know that I am finding all sorts of hidden gems of knowledge in my own plans. Things that are not immediately apparent until I spend a bunch of time looking at the plans.

Then there are things that only become apparent when looking at pictures. For example, I saw an interior shot of the Vera Cruise that clearly showed a small portion of the frame above the center aisle floorboards. I am going to have to try and figure out if I can do anything about that or just live with it.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

John56

Postby John56 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am

I just started on the first frame (7). The beam and side frame at the top are half-lapped. I think that is the only frame that uses laps, and on the bottom of frame 7 it is the standard gusset.
Question: When are the notches cut for chine and shear in the frames? During initial frame assembly or when fitting chine and shear?

Thanks

Return to “Power Boats”