Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Postby hoodman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:47 am

So I decided that I needed to get started on my Geronimo now or I might never get it done. I picked up enough plywood for the frame kit on my way home from Raleigh last week. I am really glad that I only need two sheets of the 3/4" plywood! That stuff is not cheap. I'll be calling my local lumber supplier to order the oak for the frames today. Also I need to order some of the epoxy-shield. Can anyone recommend whether to get the slow or fast hardener for the purpose of gluing up the frames? Also, do you recommend the #1 silica or #2 for thickening?
DSC_4158 by hoodsax, on Flickr
DSC_4157 by hoodsax, on Flickr
I'll be making the frames in the basement and them will move my workshop to my outbuilding when I am finished repairing it.

I've been dreaming about building a boat for a really long time. In high school I helped a buddy of mine build the "Six-Hour Canoe" and ever since then I've been looking at glen-l boats. I decided early on that the Geronimo was the one for me. I like the high freeboard and that classic shape as well as the capacity for up to 90hp. Hope I can do it justice.

gdcarpenter

Re: Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Postby gdcarpenter » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:34 am

Congrats and welcome. I would recommend getting both the slow and the fast hardener. For small batches like joint glue up I used the fast. For large areas like fiberglassing I used the slow. Theoretically you can mix the fast and slow together to adjust the cure rate but I never bothered with that.

I personally never used anything but the proverbial 'sawdust' as a thickener/filler. Seems there's an endless supply of sawdust!!!!!

If you are ever back Raleigh you are welcome to drop brand see the ZIP I built.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 am

by the way the "Six hour canoe" took about a month!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:30 am

Picked up some qtr sawn white oak yesterday. The supplier was Catawba Hardwoods and they gave me a very good price and he was happy to let me look through the pile to pick out whatever boards I wanted. The boards also have a straight line rip on one side which should make certain things easier. They're in Nebo, NC.

DSC_4161 by hoodsax, on Flickr

I was checking the patterns and it looks like I may have to scab on an inch in width to one board to get some of the wider frame parts cut. There are three parts that are nearly eight inches wide at the widest point. I have one board that's about 8 inches wide at one end but not wide enough at the other end.

I'll be ordering epoxy, transfer paper and the application sampler kit from Glen-l. I think I found a better deal on the silicon bronze hardware though without having to order it in kit form from glen-l.

jprice

Postby jprice » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:09 am

I switched to an epoxy with a very slow hardener when I started glassing, and now use it for everything.
I'll never go back to fast. I like the extra working time, plus no amine blush! :)

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:51 am

Jeff, is that a glen-l epoxy or another brand?

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:27 pm

I also used slow hardener for almost everything. I also found the West Six-10 epoxy useful in certain areas. It a nice product and I keep a full tube for emergencies. It is not cheap though. I have used West, Glen-L and Mas brand epoxy. I became allergic to West and GL brand, but for some reason, the MAS has not bothered me. I used a lot of MAS wood flour for thickening. To avoid any allergic sensitizing, I recommend that you wear a respirator and safety glasses or goggles.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:40 pm

Howdy Hoodman, great choice, I too am building the Geronimo, started last February. Got the framework assembled and am now fairing it. Couple mistakes I learned from so far - first, I cut out the transom motor opening too deep (the plans show it for a long shaft motor, nowadays most are short shaft) so I made another transom with a much smaller cutout. Of course the instructions advise to WAIT until you've decided on a motor before cutting it out, but guess I didn't pay attention.
Another problem (see picture below) was that the chine was "out-of-plane" with the sheer clamp - maybe I should've checked that as I was building it and tried to "twist" the chine to align it better, but as I've learned on the forum this has happened to others and is easily fixed with a wedge shaped shim on the lower half of the chine (between stem and frame 5). Not a big deal at all.
I also attached a picture of the jig my welder friend made for my power planer - this is a really good way to get a long faired section done at the correct angle - put blocking between the frames about 9" out from the keel or chine, and used the power planer between the notches.
Keep us posted!
Attachments
runabout 029.jpg
Bob

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:43 pm

Whoops, forgot the picture showing the chine and sheer planes out of alignment. Bob
Attachments
runabout 023.jpg
Bob

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Hoodman, what I meant to say was I cut out the motor opening too deep becase I plan to use a modern motor - nowadays most motors are LONG shaft and they used to be SHORT shaft - I got that turned around. Lesson is you don't need to cut out the opening til you settle on a motor. Here's another picture of the power planer getting ready to fair the keel. Bob
Attachments
runabout 034.jpg
Bob

jprice

Postby jprice » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:04 am

hoodman wrote:Jeff, is that a glen-l epoxy or another brand?

Marinepoxy
Their slow hardener has the longest working time of any I've seen. Which helps a lot.
Plus it's a 2-1 mix ratio, which is a lot more forgiving if your mix is off a little.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks Jeffs for the epoxy recommendations. Have you guys used System Three at all?

Bob, thanks for the pictures and the comments. I like that fairing "jig." I wonder if I can rig up something similar on my #5 Stanley plane. Either way I plan to do a lot of fairing with the hand plane. I see a lot of hand planing going on in BBWP in the fairing process. I got pretty good at using it when I built my workbench. I was surprised what a sharp hand plane could do.

Also, Bob, or anybody else that has built the Geronimo or Sea Knight it would be helpful to see some pictures of the transom/motorwell area. One concern I have is having enough cutout area to mount a transom mount trolling motor for fishing purposes. I'm obviously not to that point yet but can't hurt to think about it while I'm waiting on my glue, etc.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:16 am

Also, I wonder why on the patterns there are notches for floor battens in the transom and frames 1 and 2 but not forward of that. I'm sure it will become readily apparent when I get to that point. Just curious.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:10 am

Matt, the notches for the bottom battens shouldn't get cut until after you fair the bottom frame members, chine & keel; that way you can cut them to the exact depth of the batten - otherwise you might have to fair/fill the battens. Maybe the notches on the more forward frames aren't shown because their exact position on the frame will be determined by how the battens lay out. I cut the transom's bottom frame member's notches before attaching to the plywood because that would be hard to do once you've laminated the frame to the transom (notch only goes thru frame, not transom plywood).
I'm sure you could make a jig for your #5 plane. Even with my power plane I still will do the final smoothing with a jack plane then a sanding board. The power plane does leave some divits here and there. However, I'm an older guy with some rheum arthritis (waah) and it sure makes it easier to plane white oak! I built the Glen-L 17 in the 80's and I think all I had was a circular saw, jig saw and a friend with a talble saw. Bob
Bob

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:40 pm

Transfer paper came today from Glen-l. Thanks Gayle! Now I can start making frame parts!

Return to “Power Boats”