Mid year Titan progress

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Cool Runnings

Mid year Titan progress

Post by Cool Runnings »

Hi All-Am back into the 'project' again with work getting in the way, but hey, it pays for some of the costs.
Have been building some timberwork including external cap rails, interior fitout sections and also cockpit grates as pictured.
Fuel and ballast tanks are done and most mechanical items have been trial fitted.
A good milestone today with the boat removed from it's longterm hardstand and onto the custom trailer.
Next week I will transport it to get sandblasted and prime coated.
From there it's filling in some of the bumps and hollows for a while.

Cheers Scott.
Attachments
213.JPG
016.JPG
024.JPG
billy c

Re: Mid year Titan progress

Post by billy c »

WOW! :D
that is really coming along well. what a milestone to get it sitting on its trailer and working out the mechanicals
-Billy
Old aussie

Post by Old aussie »

Looks great..

Old Aussie Peter....
Cool Runnings

Post by Cool Runnings »

Thanks for the kind words-I must have made an error and jumped from the Aus Titan page somehow with a new subject-Such is my computing prowess!
I did take it for a run on the road today and it trucks along quite well. Being a bit anxious about the trailer design
it actually sits nicely, albeit with the bow down somewhat. The keel tapers deeper towards aft and so there is not much we could do about that. I hoping this will work in our favour at the launching ramp. I believe the Tug should float off easy, rather than slide off.
With that now done, tomorrow there is a small mast and boom that has been acquired which will be cut down and used.
The idea of the mast is to be stepped on a plate hinge which will lay forward when not in use or to also to get underneath bridges. The boom extends aft and this will act as a full length ridge if you like, with a cover for the boat. During use, a small staysail can be used to help steady the boat in a seaway.
Seems to me, this boat building is all about achieving small increments at a time and let it run it course.
Scott.
Cool Runnings

Post by Cool Runnings »

We are moving along again and now with the boat primecoated, I am installing the timber rails, hatches, portholes and door.
Once the cabin is sealed off, I can continue with the inside tasks without fear of the weather ruining anything.
Attachments
Fitting caprails
Fitting caprails
Front view primecoated
Front view primecoated
slug

Post by slug »

Scott; Just a word of caution. When I built my 34' steel sailboat I primed the hull. It sat inside in a heated building for the 5 years it took to completely finish it. I used the complete Awlgrip system( approx. 12 coats in total.)
Well, after one season in the water, little blisters developed and the whole thing had to be sandblasted and re-done ( not with Awlgrip of course. )
Never had a problem with the rudder.
Turns out the rudder was left bare for the duration with no primer on it till ready to paint the complete boat.
Conclusion was that the primer is NOT a moisture barrier and had rusted/corroded underneath before I put the finish coats on. The blisters were right to the metal...underneath the primer.
Doug
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Some primers have a life before they must be covered. My bottom paint on the Bartender says it should have been in the water within 30 days. They turn around and say it's for trailering. :?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
Cool Runnings

Post by Cool Runnings »

I appreciate this advice and will now rethink the strategy.
A two pack primer was used(three coats). After extensive research, this appeared to be the best product available over here to suit an aluminium hull. As explained to me, the problem with aluminium is getting the paint to adhere to the surface and unlike steel or timber it sits on top and does not penetrate the material.
However as Bill mentions, there is a time frame is involved here before a top coat must go on.
Apparently it is 3 months for this product.
I will now push towards time on filling/sanding and get the final coatings done.

Thanks for the 'heads up'.Scott
Cool Runnings

Post by Cool Runnings »

Doug if you are 'out there'.
I have now made up the timber window frames and enjoyed that aspect as you would, being a showpiece part of the build.
The timber is Beech which is nice to work and fairly durable.
Can you please let me know what thickness glazing you used on Grace Parker's cabin windows.
I am thinking of trenching the stiles sills and heads with a router to lock the glass in.

Thanks-Scott.
carlos bairo

Post by carlos bairo »

Cool Runnings wrote:We are moving along again and now with the boat primecoated, I am installing the timber rails, hatches, portholes and door.
Once the cabin is sealed off, I can continue with the inside tasks without fear of the weather ruining anything.

hi Scott''that is really looking a grate job you make in TITAN,.congratulations.looking forward to see it on the water soon.
in the mind time after a long time i back in to the finish stages of CARIOCA ,soon will be in the water.
best regards
Carlos
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carlos

Are you going to be at the Port Macquarie Gathering next weekend?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
slug

Post by slug »

Scott; I used 3/16 tempered safety glass, and it was very expensive as most shapes were not square and had to be processed seperately. Cost was over CDN$500.

Doug
carlos bairo

Post by carlos bairo »

hi Bill, nice to back in contact after long time, no i can t be at the gathering this time. i am at 250 kilometers from Sydney.
and i find today from you email of the gathering nest weekend
hope nest time.on the mind time looking forward to lunch my alloy CARIOCA soon
regards
Carlos
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

:lol: Carlos :lol: Look at my location! and I'm going! :lol: I'm in Newcastle right now.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

CR, what did you decide to go with for an engine and trans?

Boat looks great too! :)

Rick

Return to “Hankinson designs”