Barrel Back Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Re: Barrel Back Build

Postby Trackhappy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:53 am

No question is "that dumb John. I assume the general build is similar to mine, so yes, the stringers bolt to the for to give you a backbone of sorts onto which the frames are attached at intervals. Make sure it is all (temporarily) strong to hold it all in place very accurately.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:45 am

John, If I recall, I used deck screws to attach the stringers to the form. No need to make holes for through-bolting here. Also, make sure you can remove the screws easily after the flip. That was a great question...Keep them coming..Neel

John56

Postby John56 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks!!

Joris

Postby Joris » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:36 am

I used frog-plates, not sure what the correct english name for these is but that's what we call them.
The reason i use these is that i build my form from two left-over steel frames and two laminated beams i ripped from a old gym-hall (read; it was for free :wink: )
Also is is very easy to release them, simple loosen the bold and take the supportblock away and it all comes out.

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:59 am

Hello John, just wanted to say you have a beautiful shop to work in and your frames look great, also noticed the picture Carl reposted from one of a sea knight that I originally posted. Nice work. Not sure what adhesive your using but I swear by T88 it is very easy to use an it is all I use for structural work on wood aircraft and now boat building. Look forward to watching your progress.

Craig

John56

Postby John56 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Joris wrote:I used frog-plates, not sure what the correct english name for these is but that's what we call them.
The reason i use these is that i build my form from two left-over steel frames and two laminated beams i ripped from a old gym-hall (read; it was for free :wink: )
Also is is very easy to release them, simple loosen the bold and take the supportblock away and it all comes out.

I like that method. Thanks!!

Routed 3/4 in. notches in motor stringers today. Getting close to making it start looking like a boat!!

John56

Postby John56 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:19 am

Attaching transom to form today. Not sure, but I assume I use threaded lag screws from form post upright to transom?

falconer100

Postby falconer100 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:42 pm

I used three silicon bronze 3/8 bolts and nuts each side on mine, as you cannot get at these after the transom is finished.
Martin.

John56

Postby John56 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Thank you Falconer.

alycat

Postby alycat » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Great build, I am building the same boat, extended to 20 feet. I am about at the same level of progress. I am trying to figure out how to post pictures, but I think I have got if figured out. Great job!!!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

John56

Postby John56 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi Will,

Just sent you a PM. I have frames to #6 installed, and sitting on the bucket with a beer thinking about the Stem install. I wish some of the seasoned boat builders lived next door.....

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:31 pm

John56 wrote:Hi Will,

Just sent you a PM. I have frames to #6 installed, and sitting on the bucket with a beer thinking about the Stem install. I wish some of the seasoned boat builders lived next door.....

The seasoned builders were thinking the same thing when they were building I am sure. :)

I'm only moderately experienced (1 - 1/2 years) at this and I guarantee you that I wish I had someone to bounce ideas off of. Thankfully, the forum is here for the real stumpers.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

denbrlr

Postby denbrlr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:40 am

I am a little late to the party here but I saw where you were wondering if you should encapsulate your frames. In my opinion you definitely should. Yeah you might get a few drips on the frames but most of the frames won't be visible after the boat is done anyway. If it is not too late then I would encapsulate before you attach the frames to your building form. I didn't do this on my TNT build. I encapsulated my frames after the flip and realized it would have been easier to do it before attaching to my building form.

Also, watch out how you attach your frames to your building form in regards to epoxy drips that will occur during your build. You might want to cover the boat frame/building form joints with something to prevent epoxy from dripping on these joints. If you don't watch this, you will end up with a building form that is very securely attached to your boat and you won't know it until after the flip :)

John56

Postby John56 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:01 pm

Good tip. I almost did epoxy on of the post's. But caught myself. And I did wind up encapsulating all the frames before hanging them.

Bow stem is now installed. I guess the next step is to notch the frames for the keel.

John56

Postby John56 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Return to “Power Boats”