Steam bending inwales/outwales

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Wendell

Steam bending inwales/outwales

Post by Wendell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Hello guys!

Tried steam bending my scuppperd cypress inwales yesterday. My canoe design has very recurved stems and a pretty severe up swing at the bow and stern so I wanted to steam bend my inwales before I tried glueing them in. The inwales are 3/4 X 3/4" and are tapered to 1/4" starting about 3' from each end. I steamed them for about 20-30 minutes and when I clamped and bent them, they cracked!! Did I steam them long enough, or does cypress just not bend?? I steamed my ash stems with NO problem.
Attachments
IMG_8366.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Re: Steam bending inwales/outwales

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:08 pm

You can't steam too long. I've never used cypress so I don't know about it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ibrew2be

Re: Steam bending inwales/outwales

Post by Ibrew2be » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Wendell, at the Great Lakes Boat Building School, the rule of thumb taught for steaming wood for steam bending is to steam for 1 hour for every inch of thickness of the stock. So in your case, that would suggest steaming on the order of 45 minutes.

Another thing to note about the wood used in steam bending is that the greener the wood is, the better. The best scenario is when the steam applied is heating moisture which is still within the wood structure.

A final thought. Not sure what you're using to do the steaming, but it's best if the steam can contact all surfaces of the wood. So for example, if you were steaming two pieces of stock side by side in a steam box, you don't want them touching. Similarly, you'd want the stock supported during so that you minimize contact with the "floor" of your steam box.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

Return to “Human Power”