Barrel Back Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

John56

Re: Barrel Back Build

Postby John56 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Well, while I'm talking to myself, I have a question.

Installing Keel to Stem, plans call for Three 5/16" bolts fastened. Counter sink them to below "V" of stem/keel?

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi John,

That is exactly what I did... Countersunk them quite a bit & filled in the holes with epoxy.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

falconer100

Postby falconer100 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:39 pm

John,
Michael is on the nose on that one, I also did mine like that so go for it.
Hope you had a good Christmas and keep up the great work in the New year.
have a good one.
Martin.

John56

Postby John56 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:48 am

Final lam for the keel is glued and screwed. Trying to figure out how best to install frame #7. Like the Vera Cruise thread, it is the most forward frame, and without the benefit of positive locators like the notches in the motor stringers. It presents a challenge to get alignment correct.
Any tips?

Also, it may be just me, but the joint does not seem that strong as compared to the others that are set in notches and blocking added. Do I add blocking to frame and stem? Plans don't show it, or at least I did not notice it anyway.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:33 pm

John56 wrote:Final lam for the keel is glued and screwed. Trying to figure out how best to install frame #7. Like the Vera Cruise thread, it is the most forward frame, and without the benefit of positive locators like the notches in the motor stringers. It presents a challenge to get alignment correct.
Any tips?

Also, it may be just me, but the joint does not seem that strong as compared to the others that are set in notches and blocking added. Do I add blocking to frame and stem? Plans don't show it, or at least I did not notice it anyway.

I added a comment about this in my thread on the Vera Cruise.

I am going to add a couple of screws through the joint (sufficiently counter sunk to prevent hitting them when fairing). I also think that once the chine and sheer are in place, it should be strong enough. I would suggest bracing the frame in some manner. You can see how I did mine in my blog and in pictures in my thread here on the forum.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

John56

Postby John56 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks. Just installed the frame. A lot of measuring for sure, but I think I got it. Most important I think was the measure from stem to each outboard portion of the frame, and they are equal. Vertical was not a problem since notch is cut to a measured depth to set up level, and just snugged to the stem. Used a level to ensure frame is straight up and down, and level right to left.

Now I will just sit back, drink beer and watch epoxy dry....... :lol:

John56

Postby John56 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:34 am

Crap!! Over cut the chine notch. I plan to re-install cut off piece with epoxy and cut again. Is that a correct fix?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:12 pm

John

Certainly you could fill in the notch. That will work. Or, You could put another layer of chine log. You'll fair some of it off anyway.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

John56

Postby John56 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks Bill.

There is more to just notching the frames than meets the eye. Notched the other side, and while not as bad, I still will have some gaps between chine and frame.

John56

Postby John56 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:04 am

Question about fairing the keel.
Is there any reason why I should not fair the keel (Not Stem) before installing chine and battens first? Seems to me that reaching the keel is a big reach if chine and battens are in place first.
Without chine and battens I can stand a bit closer to the keel and fair (maybe just rough first) a lot easier.?????????

alycat

Postby alycat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:38 am

I think you will need the chine installed to get the correct angle between the frames.

Here is a link to the u tube video I was telling you about, on fairing but I am not sure if it will work for this hull shape.

http://youtu.be/HWVOrIihpBI
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:47 am

You can do some of the rough work now. Some of the keel is obviously above the frames. You can knock of those hard edges at least.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

John56

Postby John56 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:36 am

Chine is installed. Went pretty well for a neophyte boatbuilder. The jig Roberta recommended was a life saver!

Still had a couple small gaps on a couple frames forward, but I think it should be ok. God Bless epoxy.

So what next? Shear or Battens?

John56

Postby John56 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Question about Sheer installation. Looking at plans, I see not just two Lams in the forward part of boat, but I think I see 4 boards joined 2x2 at the notch. Meaning that the notch on frames 6 & 7 (Forward two frames on Barrelback) appear to have two sets of double lams stacked on top of each other. Is this correct? Or am I even making any sense?
I understand the 3rd lam on the inside of the sheer, which is installed on the most forward frames and transom area also. But cutting the verticle portion of the notch is confusing me now. Easy to do with me...... :)

Could sure use some advice on this.

Thanks

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:14 am

I don't have BB plans. But, KH used heavy sheers. The Tahoe uses 4 layers, 3 over 1 at the bow, plus 1 that just goes frame to frame.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”