Barrel Back Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

John56

Re: Barrel Back Build

Postby John56 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:18 pm

This is the detail of frame 7 on full size drawing.

Note that Sheer sit up into the frame notch, then something called Filler fills the gap from sheer to Carlin. But when I see other BarrelBack builds, I don't see that.

??????????

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:34 pm

John56 wrote:Note that Sheer sit up into the frame notch, then something called Filler fills the gap from sheer to Carlin. But when I see other BarrelBack builds, I don't see that.

the sheer sits in the notch and the "coverboard assembly" has a filler block which gives you the appearance of a thick coverboard. you can heavily round the coverboard because of this detail. it gains the overall appearance of the solid coverboards used on the original barrelbacks (look at a few pictures of the CC or Garwoods for further reference)
you can also see this in my build:
http://home.metrocast.net/~bcheckerberry/billys_belle_isle/billys_belle_isle_23.html
below: filler and coverboard
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:41 pm

It is frustrating not seeing the rest of the plan, but it looks to me (I assume that shot is upside down) as if that frame doesn't come all the way up, so the sheer is notched into the top of the frame, then a filler is added to get extra height and another wider board on top (which I would call part of the finishing board on Gentry) becomes the deck layer.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

John56

Postby John56 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Trackhappy wrote:It is frustrating not seeing the rest of the plan, but it looks to me (I assume that shot is upside down) as if that frame doesn't come all the way up, so the sheer is notched into the top of the frame, then a filler is added to get extra height and another wider board on top (which I would call part of the finishing board on Gentry) becomes the deck layer.

This should be easier to see.

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:33 pm

That's a lot clearer, thanks. Hopefully Billyc's comment has answered it though, with photo's even. In the end, the sheer must be a fair curve all the way along, and that filler must follow suit. Does the filler appear the same at the previous frame?
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

John56

Postby John56 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Trackhappy wrote:That's a lot clearer, thanks. Hopefully Billyc's comment has answered it though, with photo's even. In the end, the sheer must be a fair curve all the way along, and that filler must follow suit. Does the filler appear the same at the previous frame?

It appears so to me....

John56

Postby John56 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:15 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I was really brain locked on this. Going forward again!!

John56

Postby John56 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:18 pm

I thought I saw something on Glen-L that had a section on engine dealers. I need to start thinking about the power plant and have no idea where to start.....

I really liked Bill's Yanmar in his Tahoe, but I don't have that Swiss bank account like him........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

John56

Postby John56 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Steam bending sheers today. Special thanks to Alycat (Will) for suggesting a clothes steamer. It worked great.

Clamped in place until it dries. Time for beer and football!!

alycat

Postby alycat » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Lookin Good!! :D
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Making great progress John. Before you know it, you'll have a boat. I like the idea of the steamer with the flexible hose. It neatly solves a problem that i was looking for a solution for.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

John56

Postby John56 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:53 pm

Carl, the steamer was $45 at Wallyworld. Alycat told me about it. The hose gets hot!! And the PVC pipe warped a little, but didn't affect the task. I wrapped shop rags around both ends and let it drip in buckets. Keep it pointing down from steamer.

Oh, wear gloves. That sucker gets hot!

Next is cutting notches in Battens. And like Alycat reminded me, there is a lot of them. How do folks do it? Router and Jig? saw and chisel?

billy c

Postby billy c » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:47 pm

looks familiar John :D nice work!
on the notches, depending on the compound angle needed for some, i either routed it or used a saw and chisel. the bottom being pretty flat, i laid a batten offset so the router base could run as a guide. used a down spiral bit cutting halfway thru the face of each frame. (think i saved time as didn't have to put a block behind each frame to prevent chipout as i routed) all the other slots i tacked a thin batten over the frame then used that as a locator for the cut and a guide for my saw. am sure there are a million ways to do this. ...you get good at it by the time you are done!

John56

Postby John56 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:08 am

Scarfing question.

I am preparing to fasten the first sheer to the boat, and then the second sheer is laminated to the first. What the necessity of scarfing the second lam? Why would a Butt joint not work in this application since it is epoxied to the first sheer which was scarf joined?

billy c

Postby billy c » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:36 am

John56 wrote:Scarfing question.

I am preparing to fasten the first sheer to the boat, and then the second sheer is laminated to the first. What the necessity of scarfing the second lam? Why would a Butt joint not work in this application since it is epoxied to the first sheer which was scarf joined?

a butt would work if on the flatter area of the sheer. scarf takes only a few more steps and joint can be clamped in place as you build up the sheer.

Return to “Power Boats”