Belle Isle in Chicago build thread (with a few pics)

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

FFRCOBRA

Belle Isle in Chicago build thread (with a few pics)

Post by FFRCOBRA » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:04 pm

I figured I'd start a single thread that I could add to over time.
The bad thing is, that when I'm done working on the boat for the day, I'm too tired (building at night) and just want to go to bed. I forget to take pictures very often.

Here's where I am now.
Last winter was my first winter with trying to use epoxy. I built the heat tent out of Styrofoam panels built around the stringers. It worked great.

I didn't accomplish much last summer because I was always scheduled for other stuff. Not complaining...just enjoying life.

This winter I took a month off of the boat and tried insulating the garage. It's still freezing out there and I haven't been able to glue anything. So, I have been sanding and fairing.

I have built up the transom framing, but again, I can't glue it in place when it's 5 degrees.

Waiting on the weather, I have pre-cut up 5 of my sheets of plywood into 6" wide strips. That's 5 sheets of plywood stacked in one stack there. I clamped two strips to the side just to see what it looked like. (I've seen so many other photos like this and had to do it myself.) I also have the Omer brad gun and Raptor brads ready to go.

Just a cool shot showing the taper of the hull.

I'm going to order my engine this week. I know...I have a long way to go, but my family is leaving on spring break in a few weeks and I will be a bachelor. I want to get a lot of plywood on in that week/two weekends. Plus, it's a long lead time item right now with the spring orders coming in. Here is the engine I'm ordering (today or tomorrow).
PCM EX343

Moving forward......(slowly)

Craig

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Belle Isle in Chicago build thread (with a few pics)

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:07 am

Very nice! Thanks for posting and keeping us updated. Looking forward to more!

FFRCOBRA

Post by FFRCOBRA » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Got a few strips glued today. Actually it was 30. Gayle, your Raptor brads and Omer gun worked great. My wife bought them from you for a Christmas present. I just broke them out today and they really sped things up.
A few pictures...

Craig

billy c

Post by billy c » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:21 pm

progress looks great Craig. those raptor guns are cheating though :shock: you will miss the pleasure of removing 20,000 staples
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

specialk

Post by specialk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:31 am

Great looking boat.. I am with you on the cold weather, worked on my transom on Sat. then the rain came on Sunday and temp droped to 50 on Sunday...
So it will be next week before I get to start back..but once again great job.. keep the pictures coming..!
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:28 am

Glad to hear you like the Raptor products--what a time saver! Your boat is looking awesome...

FFRCOBRA

Post by FFRCOBRA » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:59 pm

So, a few updates.

Finished the transom framing

Then closed it off with some 1/4" marine plywood. No need for strips as its only a single curve.

Finished the first layer on each side. Trimmed ans sanded.

Started the second layer. I had just received a big batch of glue and I'm already out. Really miscalculated. This boat is huge! I keep putting on strips and the side of the boat keeps going and going.

Got even more done on the other side but don't have a picture.

More next weekend hopefully.
Craig

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:48 am

Craig. You progress looks good. I was wondering what thickness the strips are that you are putting on are. Ad are you doing both sides as you go alone. After you get both layers on will there be more wood on top of the 2 layers.
Jeff

billy c

Post by billy c » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:30 am

you are really flying along with your cold molding Craig!
can not see the brads at all in the wood with the sanding. might be better system than the staples Roberta was using, as she has to take the tops off between layers. :?:
are you going to use the brads for the final mahogany layer?
-Billy

FFRCOBRA

Post by FFRCOBRA » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:35 am

Thanks guys.
Jeff- the plywood is 4mm okoume. I'm following Billy's lead (see his build link in the post below yours) I'm doing both layers of the side. Working on both at the same time, then will go to the bottom layers. Then of course mahogany over all of it.

Billy- Yes, this week was great progress. My wife and daughter were in Florida all week for spring break so I had some evenings and a couple full weekend days. I wanted to finish the second layer on the sides, but the glue shortage stopped me. I really need to keep going because the PCM guy called and my motor shipped on Friday. About 6 weeks sooner than expected. Oh well, it was going to be sitting for awhile anyway. Now it will just sit for longer. (but will be good motivation every time I see it!)

The brads are working great. In fact, after I sanded, I went back to mark the batten lines with a sharpie and I couldn't find the brads most of the time. The heads sink just below the surface and when sanded, they are either down in the hole still, or the heads get sanded off. Not sure which, but you really can't see them. No extra steps at all.

For the final layer....I'm thinking of going with staples (through small blocks) and removing them. So I will get to experience your fun- just not 20,000 times the fun. Ha.

The family is flying back today so I'm frantically doing the house stuff. (paint the hallway...it wasn't supposed to be all about the boat this week.)

Thanks
Craig

FFRCOBRA

Post by FFRCOBRA » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:33 pm

Think I'm getting a little ahead of myself?
They actually shipped several weeks early....still way early for my progress though.

billy c

Post by billy c » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:13 am

that should get you moving! :D
is always nice to have the engine as you do the mockups for the propshaft and underwater gear. it is a pretty close fit with the cowl under the hatches too so getting the deck arch and height will be easier.
-Billy

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:18 am

Nice!! Looking really Great!!! Love that motor!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:39 am

That a great looking motor. What is the HP.What trany are you going with.
Jeff

FFRCOBRA

Post by FFRCOBRA » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:14 am

cusoak wrote:That a great looking motor. What is the HP.What trany are you going with.
Jeff
Hey Jeff.
It's 343 hp. Google "PCM EX343" and you'll see the web page and all its info. I'm following the lead of Dick Williams who built the same boat. Search the forum for Dick Williams. Thereare a lot of photos he's posted. Apparently Billy really helped Dick on his build (thanks Billy) and Dick is helping me. Dick sent me a shopping list of all the hardware he used and I'm following along.

The trans is a PCM 1.23:1. It looks really great in person.

Craig.

Return to “Hankinson designs”