Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense » Sun May 11, 2014 3:49 pm

I went ahead and cut the sheer away from the breasthook. I do have a Bosch multi tool and it made the job easy. I then measured back the required distance to get the correct setback. I will be making that cut as soon as I think this through a bit. The only other thing I can think of at this point is that the notches in frame 6 may need to be changed because of the increase in bend forward of frame 6.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun May 11, 2014 7:16 pm

It was scary to do it, but I trimmed 5/8" off the front of the breasthook, cleaned everything up and re-glued the sheer. Everything appears to be okay. The breasthook will be a little smaller but I'm thinking that with the sheer and the skins there, this difference won't be a problem. The good thing is that the setback is correct now. Still, all in all, what a drag. I really hate making these kind of mistakes.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun May 11, 2014 8:48 pm

Carl

It's just part of it. It will work out.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sscobra

Post by sscobra » Sun May 11, 2014 10:30 pm

Carl, I am sorry that I didn't see your post before now, and I am not quite sure why you would have had to cut the breasthook back. How many laminations is your sheer? I have 3 laminations and the third is in front of the stem. I don't recall seeing any posts that the breasthook needs to be cut back. I apologize if I have it wrong since I am not familiar with your particular boat design but I just made my breasthook exactly to the plans and mounted the sheers to it as you did. Unless you mounted your breasthook differently than your plans show, than the placement of the sheers are correct as in your photos. Most of the last lamination is faired away where it meets the stem. In my first photo you can see the last lamination is in front of the stem. I had already faired my stem before I mounted the sheers. In the next photo you can see that after fairing the sheers everything lines up fine. The only part of the third lamination left in that area is the part nearest the floor. There the sheer thickness is still 3 laminations of 5/8". A good bit of the second lamination is also faired away because of the steep angle the sheer is faired to. Again, sorry if I am not seeing things correctely, but I feel you should leave the breasthook as you first had it. Skip
Attachments
Sheers before fairing, stem faired.
Sheers before fairing, stem faired.
Faired sheers and stem.
Faired sheers and stem.
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon May 12, 2014 7:38 am

Thanks for the encouragement Bill.
sscobra wrote:Carl, I am sorry that I didn't see your post before now, and I am not quite sure why you would have had to cut the breasthook back. How many laminations is your sheer? I have 3 laminations and the third is in front of the stem. I don't recall seeing any posts that the breasthook needs to be cut back. I apologize if I have it wrong since I am not familiar with your particular boat design but I just made my breasthook exactly to the plans and mounted the sheers to it as you did. Unless you mounted your breasthook differently than your plans show, than the placement of the sheers are correct as in your photos. Most of the last lamination is faired away where it meets the stem. In my first photo you can see the last lamination is in front of the stem. I had already faired my stem before I mounted the sheers. In the next photo you can see that after fairing the sheers everything lines up fine. The only part of the third lamination left in that area is the part nearest the floor. There the sheer thickness is still 3 laminations of 5/8". A good bit of the second lamination is also faired away because of the steep angle the sheer is faired to. Again, sorry if I am not seeing things correctely, but I feel you should leave the breasthook as you first had it. Skip
No problems Skip.

On my boat, there are only two laminations for the sheer. The outer lamination is supposed to be set back enough so that the fairing of the forward stem will fair right into the sheer and very little material will need to be removed in that direction.

What was not apparent in the photos but which I noticed when I first found out about this last night, was that the tip of the breasthook was forward of the stem forward edge, indicating that the breasthook was too far forward. I remember when I was fitting the breasthook to the stem last year (off the boat and before I had even mounted any of the forward frames) I tested the location of the breasthook using two dummy sheers pieces. It appeared at the time that I needed to cut the slot for the stem a little deeper in order to get the the dummy sheer laminations to align with the forward edge of the stem. I completely forgot about the the fairing aspect at this point and cut the slot deeper.

Later when I mounted the breasthook to the stem, I didn't double check this and assumed (terrible word isn't it?) that everything was okay. But the breasthook was indeed too far forward. That was immediately apparent to me yesterday when it was brought to my attention.

I considered removing the breasthook but it was glued and screwed through the horizontal mating surface between the stem and breasthook and would have been very difficult to remove without damaging other parts. Laminating a piece on the forward edge of the stem was rejected because I felt that fairing this would have been very difficult given the close quarters I have in this area. I was also not happy with the idea of altering the forward curve of the stem.

In the end, I decided that cutting the breasthook back and remounting the sheer was the best option. In an attempt to restore some of the depth of the breasthook, I am going to laminate a solid piece of 5/8" wood on the back edge of the breasthook (between the sheers). I am not sure this is needed, but I am going to do it anyway.

I think, overall, that the repair will be fine and I happier that I don't have to fair away the sheer lamination. But I wish that my pride didn't have to take these kind of hits.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Mon May 12, 2014 9:30 am

Sounds like a plan to me Carl. I will bet this won't be the last time you will have to cut something apart and put it back together again!! Your build looks great. With limited space, you have come up with some clever ways to get the job done.... Way to go.... Neel

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel » Mon May 12, 2014 10:49 pm

mrintense wrote: But I wish that my pride didn't have to take these kind of hits.
In my case, I got used to taking a LOT of these hits before the ol' girl saw water!!

Funny thing though, as I'm cruising up the river with a cool beverage in my hand and the wake spreading out behind me, I never seem to think of those mistakes any more! :D :D
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue May 13, 2014 5:58 am

Bob Maskel wrote:In my case, I got used to taking a LOT of these hits before the ol' girl saw water!! Funny thing though, as I'm cruising up the river with a cool beverage in my hand and the wake spreading out behind me, I never seem to think of those mistakes any more! :D :D
Now this is how I see myself in a few years. Wish it could be now, but I'm working in that direction. And I agree, when it's done, I'll be glad to have this wonderful boat and I won't concern myself with the trials I have to go through.
neel thompson wrote:Sounds like a plan to me Carl. I will bet this won't be the last time you will have to cut something apart and put it back together again!! Your build looks great. With limited space, you have come up with some clever ways to get the job done.... Way to go.... Neel
Thanks Neel, necessity is the mother off invention! :) Hopefully not too many times will I have to cut things apart and put them back together!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

billy c

Post by billy c » Tue May 13, 2014 6:18 am

looking great Carl. you can really see the lines of the hull!
...and another miracle recovery to add to Glen-L history :D
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Tue May 13, 2014 6:52 am

Hello Carl, Thank you again for the encouragement and comments on my Sea Knight build. Looks like you are making great progress and everything looks excellent. It is certainly enjoyable to watch other craftsman work and also to see how they work through any problems they encounter. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Craig

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue May 13, 2014 7:20 pm

billy c wrote:looking great Carl. you can really see the lines of the hull! ...and another miracle recovery to add to Glen-L history :D -Billy
Thanks Billy, yeah the lines are almost a hinderance to productivity. I keep finding myself just looking at the boat instead of working on it. :D
Craig Aho wrote:Hello Carl, Thank you again for the encouragement and comments on my Sea Knight build. Looks like you are making great progress and everything looks excellent. It is certainly enjoyable to watch other craftsman work and also to see how they work through any problems they encounter. Looking forward to watching your progress. Craig
Thanks Craig. I too am looking forward to seeing you're Sea Knight completed. Not too many cruisers being built so I enjoy seeing them when I can. Mind you, I love all these wooden beauties. How I never discovered this hobby until my mid fifties, I'll never understand, but this has to be one of the topmost satisfying hobbies around.

Short update: I'm gluing one frame / sheer joint each day in the front. This way I can control the positioning and it makes it much less stressful (if slower). I finished up frame 5 tonight. I think tomorrow I can do the remaining five frames in one go, depending upon how busy I am (have to catch up on yard work ).

As for the slowness of the build, well it has a positive side. I'm saving for the plywood for planking which I estimate will be between 600 and 1000 dollars delivered. Actually this is a SWAG because I haven't gotten a quote on the plywood yet and I can't remember what I was quoted two years ago.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

alycat

Post by alycat » Tue May 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Thanks For the words of encouragement. Your build is going very well. Sometimes I feel that one side of the boat is going to come out nicer than the other, due to my learnings as I go. This is the best hobby I have come across as well. The most satisfying to say the least. I am amazed by how much I have learned and shared throughout this experience so far. This forum is awesome!! :D
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

sscobra

Post by sscobra » Tue May 13, 2014 9:48 pm

Great work on the boat, Carl. Take your time and enjoy every minute of it. Don't get in any hurry to cover it up with the plywood. As you know, I am well into finishing my first layer of ply on my Monaco and to be honest it feels like a great accomplishment to be at this stage, but on the other hand, with every plank I install, more of the beautiful frame gets covered up. It is very sad!! Can't wait to turn it over so I can see the frame again! Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed May 14, 2014 5:49 am

alycat wrote:Thanks For the words of encouragement. Your build is going very well. Sometimes I feel that one side of the boat is going to come out nicer than the other, due to my learnings as I go. This is the best hobby I have come across as well. The most satisfying to say the least. I am amazed by how much I have learned and shared throughout this experience so far. This forum is awesome!! :D
Thanks Will.
sscobra wrote:Great work on the boat, Carl. Take your time and enjoy every minute of it. Don't get in any hurry to cover it up with the plywood. As you know, I am well into finishing my first layer of ply on my Monaco and to be honest it feels like a great accomplishment to be at this stage, but on the other hand, with every plank I install, more of the beautiful frame gets covered up. It is very sad!! Can't wait to turn it over so I can see the frame again! Skip
Thanks Skip. Although I agree that the frames are a beautiful thing, I have to say, after nearly two years, I am definitely ready to cover them up! :)

As enjoyable as this build has been (most of the time :) ), for me the real fun will be when I can start adding all the topside and interior pieces. I've been collecting ideas and dreaming about how I want it to be for so long, that I can literally see it in my mind.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue May 20, 2014 6:03 am

With the heat here in Austin, it can get dicey trying to glue up large pieces before the epoxy starts to kick off. Therefore, one sometimes has to get up early in the morning to perform boat building. Such was today for me. Up at 3:30 AM gluing in the second lamination of the port side sheer by 4 AM. Finished approximately 5:30 AM and then had to get ready for work.

But feels good to have another major piece in place. Most of the epoxy was wiped off but I will have some clean up to do, probably tomorrow.

Sure glad I have a Harbor Freight nearby as it took approximately 60 clamps to do this glue up. It was tricky working in the space available without getting epoxy all over myself and my shoes, but somehow I managed to keep clean. Sore back though from stooping over!

Hmmmm. Not sure why it's showing one of the images twice!
Long shot from the aft end.
Long shot from the aft end.
Here's what you couldn't see in the other photo
Here's what you couldn't see in the other photo
Attachments
IMG_20140520_053839.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”