Vera Cruise Build.........Slowly but Surely

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

darthplywood

Vera Cruise Build.........Slowly but Surely

Post by darthplywood »

I'm officially going to get started on my next boat this month. I am going to build a Vera Cruise with a slightly modified cabin (my cabin will be a little smaller with a more open cockpit). This is going to be a VERY SLOW BUILD. I am going to put a time frame of 6 - 10 years on this one. (i really have no idea....we'll have to see how it goes)

For those of you who remember, i built my Sea Knight in almost 2 years flat. At the time, i had no kids and i wanted to get a boat in the water. With this build, aside from the fact that she is obviously larger, i now have three kids (all under the age of 3) and i have my Sea Knight to use (so there is no rush to get wet).

I plan on piecing this boat together over time and using it as something to do that my kids can watch and participate (on some level).

For anyone who wants to follow, expect a very slow progression. I definitely rushed to get my Sea Knight done, whereas on this build i will be taking a lot of time with with NO sense of urgency.

When i say i am getting started...I plan on doing prep-work this month including making frame patterns and doing the layout. CHEERS!
Attachments
specialK.jpg
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Bill Edmundson

Re: Vera Cruise Build.........Slowly but Surely

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Rory

Three kids now. You have been busy! Looking forward to seeing the build.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Rory,

Welcome to the Vera Cruise club. I am very glad to see someone else tackling this project. Let me know if I you have any questions and I will see if I can answer them.

From what I can tell, the build is very much like the Sea Knight, however the additional frame forward (frame 6) makes things a bit tricky.

Your cabin idea looks interesting. I have sort of been considering making mine more of a open cabin style.

Since I am still building the hull, I'll leave decisions like that til later.

Again, glad to have a fellow Vera Cruise builder on board.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho »

Hello Darth, I think what your planning for the VC is the same effect I am getting with my SK with the longer cockpit area. I still kind of wish I had gone ahead and built the VC which was my first choice. Anyway like Carl I will enjoy seeing your build. Three Kids? you have been busy building a family.

Craig

Return to “Power Boats”