Fiberglass Tape

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

BlueRidgeBoater

Fiberglass Tape

Postby BlueRidgeBoater » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm putting down fiberglass tape on the hull (Power Skiff). The plans call for four layers of alternating 6" and 3" tape. Do I need to sand between each layer (particularly to feather out the edges)? I didn't when I taped the interior seams, but wondering if I should have done that and if that will make feathering out the edges of the seams easier when all the layers are down. I read somewhere that I should sand between each layer, but I really don't want to and am worried that there is not enough epoxy on the tape after one wetting coat to do much sanding.

Bob Perkins

Re: Fiberglass Tape

Postby Bob Perkins » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:31 am

Each successive layer should be put down on the previous layer before it is 100% cured. You want the layers to bond chemically, not mechanically.
basically - as soon as the first layer has set up enough - add the next. Once they are all down, feather it out.

I prefer to do all of them at once, use a roller to squeeze out the epoxy and smooth out with a spreader. I've done that with 2 layers, but not sure if 4 would be manageable that way..
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Return to “Fiberglass”