foam kayak

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

James1

foam kayak

Post by James1 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:50 am

I cut a kayak out of a block of foam, this is a 10 foot sit on top kayak, Now how would I go about fiber glassing it? what type of cloth would I use and how many layers would be needed for it to be strong enough? any and all information would be greatly appreciated. thank you

billy c

Re: foam kayak

Post by billy c » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:55 am

usually there is some support lent to the foam thru a stringer(s) running the length of the hull. i do not think you could get enough strength from just a few layers of cloth.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:08 am

Most epoxy's eat foam. You would need a foam safe epoxy.

James1

Post by James1 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:27 am

what would you recommend putting inside of it for support? I'm going to use West System epoxy because it will not destroy the foam.
if I cut the foam block what should I put inside it for support. what if I cut it in half put a piece of fiberglass mat on both sides and put it back together? I want this thing to be as light as possible but also strong enough. thank you for your comments keep them coming please. Thank you

billy c

Post by billy c » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:47 am

...one more post and you can then attach a picture for us. :D

James1

Post by James1 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:01 pm

It's expanding rigid urethane foam is a closed cell, pourable foam, which will resist the absorption of water

James1

Kayak of Foam

Post by James1 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:25 pm

they build kayaks out of hollow plastic with injection molding. I was thinking that fiberglass would be stronger than plastic so cutting a kayak out of foam block and coating it with fiberglass I was thinking should work I was hoping someone could help me out with what type of fiberglass and how many layers would be strong enough.

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:55 am

Many years ago when I was a kid we had a 10 or 12 foot sailboat that was entirely made out of foam with a piece of wood across it for the mast step. It had no fiberglass on it. We sailed it for two or three years until a wind storm caught it and broke it in half. Maybe a couple layers of 6 oz cloth with minimum resin would work. Im not sure if it would be any lighter than a wood one.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:14 am

yep, had one of those sailboats too :lol: think it was called a Snark?
was thinking more on the line of my windsurfing surf boards foam composite construction where they are vacuum bagged and makes a very solid light hull.
lots of info out there for building those so Google is your friend :D

James1

Post by James1 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:40 pm

Great info guys. Thanks alot for the help and anything else you may have I'd love to hear.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:37 am

Yep, we still have one of those Snark foam sailboats. Probably hasn't seen water since I last sailed it 15 years ago.

Return to “Fiberglass”