encapsulation

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

obd

encapsulation

Post by obd »

I know there has been discussion re encapsulation on the forum in the past. I am trying to determine the ideal time to encapsulate. Too early and I am afraid there might be extra work cutting and faring encapsulated surfaces, too late and some areas become difficult to reach(per Bob's advice). So, I was thinking post faring, pre skinning would be the ideal time. I would love the opinion of some of the experienced builders. I am currently scarfing longitudinals so getting close to faring. Loving the project but moving slower than expected.

gdcarpenter

Re: encapsulation

Post by gdcarpenter »

For what it's worth I encapsulated as I went along. I encapsulated each frame as it was finished, the scarfed hull ply before attaching it, etc. much easier for me to do it this way as each piece could be worked on comfortably. If you are worried about epoxy gluing together encapsulated parts I would not worry, besides, the frame sides get taken back down to bare wood in the fairing process. Just my 2 cents.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I put two coats on the frames stem and transom while they were still on the assembly table I think it is much easier that way. I have not done so on my longitudinals. I also have not coated the outside surface of the transom as that will get glassed later. Not a bad idea to do what you can as you go along. I have noticed that a sharp hand plane goes through epoxy just as easy as oak.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I also encapsulated the frames before mounting them. I left the gluing surfaces bare however. The longitudinals were encapsulated on all non gluing surfaces after they were installed. The faired surfaces were also not encapsulated. I did not encapsulate any of the skins prior to installation as I had heard that they can become quite stiff with the extra epoxy on them. So far the only skin that has received encapsulation is the inner transom and this was done after assembly.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

What Carl said.

On second thought, I might have one coat of epoxy on the inside face of the skins.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

obd

Post by obd »

Thanks guys! Very Helpful.

Return to “Power Boats”