Flats Flyer Build in Orlando

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

tcough

Flats Flyer Build in Orlando

Postby tcough » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Well I started my build of the FF this weekend and made what I think is good progress. Completed the transom knee, breasthook and stem, now to start the frames. Wife works this weekend so I should get plenty of time at least one day's work on it. Plans and patterns are excellent and so easy to follow if you do some studying up front. Of course we need a little "water therapy" on our deck boat, so I must split my time. More to follow. :D
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

specialk

Re: Flats Flyer Build in Orlando

Postby specialk » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:18 am

Hey Tracy

Glad you have started.. do not forget the pictures...

Kelly building the Flats Flyer
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:44 pm

Well in case you missed me :mrgreen: , I've been doing some work on the frames but life has really gotten in the way. We had a major scare with my wife's health, but after consultation with surgeons and breast biopsies (sp?) we had great news that it was just a benign mass and only need to monitor it. Then my step-father was stricken with cancer and subsequently passed a few weeks ago. I am so glad that 2014 is over and hope everyone, including myself, have a happy new year.

Back to the build. I've managed to build frames 6 & 5, just finishing 4 today (photo attached). Hopefully I can get a couple more frames built this week as I'm getting anxious to construct the building frame and get these things on it.
Attachments
Frame 3.JPG
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Postby specialk » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:41 am

Tracy sorry to hear about your step-father... and your wife...will keep your family in our prayers...

your frames look good..keep the pictuers coming

boat building is good therapy...I use it offen

Kelly... Building the Flats Flyer...
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Had an extra day off this weekend and was able to complete all the frames. Breasthook, knee, and stem completed as well, so the only thing left is the transom. Hopefully I'll complete it this weekend and then off to the building frame.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:06 pm

Finished the transom tonight. Next is cutting notches in the frames for the chine log and shear, then on to the building frame.
Attachments
Transome finished.JPG
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Postby specialk » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:20 pm

Tracy hows the build coming...?
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:18 pm

Kelly,
Knowing what you're all dealing with up north, I hate to say this. But the build has been slowed down to allow some time to do a little fishing and boating. Was 80 degrees this past weekend and just couldn't pass up the chance. Been hitting the perch in Lake Monroe and hanging out at a couple of the fish camps.

The LOML is working this weekend so I will be in the shop beginning the building form, should be able to get the frames on it as well.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Postby specialk » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:26 am

Tracy...I wish we had that weather... it has been raining and overcast here for so long ...we did have one nice day in 3 weeks... it hit 69... but still over cast...

I need to get my Fishing Fix...but so close to the end of this build, I do not want to stop..I am trying to get it in the water mid April...thats my target...I think the only thing that will slow me down is this weather and hooking up all the elec.,..
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:05 pm

Well it's been a while but I've been busy with spring time in Florida and the Shriners. Also have a new work schedule that allows me to take every other Friday off, and I took advantage of it this weekend. Thought I'd be further along than I was but having fun none the less. Was able to put up the building form and set the frames this weekend. I need to spend a little time putting the transom, knee and brace together before setting it on the form, but that gives me something to do in the evenings while the LOML is working. Here's a picture of all the frames set, except the transom.
Attachments
Frames set on building form 1.jpg
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Postby specialk » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:02 am

Tracy ... glad you back ... it looks good ... not sure I told you this but in Sept we will be at Long Point Park ...I will be fishing Sebastian Inlet every day ..if you get a chance come down and you can see all my mistakes I make with the build...
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:25 am

I'm getting ready to pick up plywood for the bottom and side skins and I'm considering using 1/2" thick for the rear skin and two 1/4" thick sheets for the stem area where the curve's are. Has anyone done this and what pitfalls should I be watching for? The instructions call out for all 1/4", but the rear seems pretty flat and it should be easy.

Thoughts, warnings??
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:32 am

tcough

I don't see any problem. But, I like to stagger the joints.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

tcough

Postby tcough » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks for the input Bill, I think I'm going for it when the time comes.

Layed the first layer of the keel today, should have the final layer on the frames tomorrow. Will need to install using screws from the inside, which means they'll all be put in overhead. Oh how I hate overhead work :x :x
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:56 pm

Transom installed with the cross brace and keel laid and bottom battens in place. Next will be the chine/shear install after I pick up the lumber. Nice thing about building my own boat is no financing and I don't need to spend the money until I need to. Holding off the final attachment up front until I get the stem all faired.

Forgot the pictures, but will get them this weekend.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Return to “Hankinson designs”