Rampage Update 2015

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Denon Osterman

Rampage Update 2015

Post by Denon Osterman »

Hey everyone,

So I had a very slow summer on the boat this year as work has been *incredibly* busy, and it's not showing any signs of slowing down soon. At this rate, it will take 10 years to finish the boat!

On the bright side, now that it's flipped over, things look like they're going much faster :wink:

I've so far gotten to the point that the "important" decking pieces have been roughly fitted, and most of the deck framing has been installed - I'll need two more side panels to be fitted in, as well as the coaming, dash beam, and accompanying deck beam before the top doesn't need any more wood work. The plans recommend fitting the planking to the carling before installing the coaming (which is a fantastic idea) so they'll be fitted completely now, then taken off and left to wait as I encapsulate the framing and interior with epoxy, and install the hardware. The panels will also be encapsulated before their final installation. Some pictures of the current fitting process (just rough cut):

I really love the rear deck curve, both the transom profile and the cockpit from above :)

Toying with the idea of curving the front corners of the cockpit slightly as well, as you can see from the very wide roughcuts. I think I'm going to do it as it matches the rear better.

Overhead look. I still haven't decided if I'm going to pop the dash up from the side deck with the coaming, like the rampage normally has. I suspect in the end I will to get the increased cockpit and coaming height.

As you can see the plans allow the builder to chose between a "straight" ended rear cockpit, or a curved cockpit boundary shown here. One of the big reasons I like the design is how the aft cockpit circles around the engine, framing it as the center piece 8) . However, I deviated quite heavily from the instructions on how to do so. Normally, the rear panels are supposed to be built up with scrap along the inner edge, and the carling in that area omitted entirely. This seemed like a poor idea to me so I instead opted to install the curved carlings you see. I can now understand why they are not spec'd in the plans as the thought process involved was a huge undertaking to get them to be fair both from above and in profile to match the transom- they curve in both directions by the boats design, so I built them up from three 1/4 lamination to try and soften the curves. A minor issue I now have is that they ended up somewhat torqued due to the double curve, so I may have to add a 4th lamination to be able to create a level landing area for the coaming. Note that these pictures are from earlier in the build than above!

The curved carlings run from the aft deck beam in a curve to meet the straight carlings. The fairing that resulted was tricky, as I had to make sure the curve was as unidirectional as possible to avoid the plywood buckling (in which case cold molding techniques would have been needed). I managed to do a pretty good job but it was still VERY difficult to bend the plywood into place for rough fitting.

The curved carlings were done in three steps, all very quickly. After all of the calculations had been done, the first member was fit using clamps, with the same segment of particularly straight 1/4" x 2" wood being split in two and butted at the midline on the deck beam. They were then forced into a roughly perfect curve by calculating the length required to make a semi circle, and where they would have to be anchored on the carlings for this to work. Once this was done, two more laminations were cut at 4 and 8 inches longer, and they were then installed in reverse order (longest first). This allowed there to be a natural taper towards the curve at the start point on the carling, where otherwise the 3/4" end would butt up against nothing. Raptor fasteners and clamps were used to epoxy everything into place, and it ended up working very well!

Even installing the carlings was quite tough - I ended up introducing an intentional 2 degree bend where they were butt-joined to compensate for the curves of the boat. As you can see, there was still a lot of fairing to be done!

I'm missing quite a few "segments" of pictures - the boat with the sheer line cleaned up just after flipping, the carling installation, the strongback / deck batten installations, and the faired top side. I have some of them but on a different camera so I'm just uploading the overall progress for now - I'm hoping to have all of the top (including dash beam, coamings, all plywood) fitted in (but not glued) by the end of the season, which will hopefully go as late as November (though maybe not).

I'm then hoping to get the hardware installed (other than engine) and the mahagony decking nailed down (with raptor fastenings, of course :D ) by the end of the following season, and finally in 2017 finish the decking, install the engine, deck harware, and seats... and hopefully launch. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Denon

P.S. If anyone has any suggestions on light boat building woods I could use for the coaming, that would be great. I mean light in colour - I'd like something like white ash but without such a striking grain pattern. I'm going to have to build it up in multiple veneers like I did with the carling, if that makes any difference.
BayouBengal

Re: Rampage Update 2015

Post by BayouBengal »

Seriously Cool!

Keep up the great work and the photo posts
Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

Looking Great Denon. Thanks for the update. I was just wondering the other day how your project was going.
Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

Thanks guys!

Picked up the remaining lumber today - some Sitka Spruce for the Coamings and dash. It's *gorgeous*, and I can't wait to fit it all up and stain the decking for the contrast. More pics to come likely late next week after I get it in. I'm pretty excited because as far as I can tell, that's "it" lumberwise - the only wood left to buy is the veneers for the deck :)
Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

looking forward to it.
Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

Hey everyone,

As promised some more pictures from the last weekend, probably the last work I'll get to do on it this season sadly. Was hoping to get everything in but just didn't quite get the dash mounted...oh well. I'm out of town the next two weeks and then it's too cold for the epoxy to cure :(

First, some pictures of the hull without plywood or coaming. You're supposed to rough fit the plywood before the coamings and this is *by far* the easiest way to do it. It both makes it very easy to fit the plywood flush to the coaming, and let's you see where the screw holes for the decking are before you screw the coaming to the carling, ensuring you'll never have screws intersect.

It's also a lot easier to fair the hull without the coamings in place, as they interrupt the natural lines and make it harder to get it nice and smooth. I think I did a pretty good job, and everything rests flat and level :)

Getting the hull nice and fair

The rear curves aren't called for in the plans, but I wanted to add them anyways...built up from the same veneers as my deck will be, and then carefully angled into position

The 3D curve was very difficult to fair properly, and took a lot of checking and re-checking with the plywood.

Once everything is fair the plywood was fitted to the hull (see previous post) and then removed again so I could install the coamings. The coamings were done in 4 sections - 2 straight halves up front, and two curved halves in the rear. The curved sections are built up of 3 equal laminations to be 9/16's of an inch, matching the straight forward section. I used Sitka Spruce for this area as I wanted the lighter colour of the wood to contrast the dark hull and deck, and the grain and colouring of the spruce is gorgeous! I was also able to bookmatch the interior section to keep the lighter sections perfectly aligned, which adds even further to the look.

Framing in the cockpit...the coamings really help define it.

looking back at the pump from the inside - still no dash.

The top of the coaming is nearly perfectly level, and will be once sanded. This really helps offset / highlight the curves of the deck, as shown below:

...and while they look quite tall now, the plywood and veneered decking will eat into some of that height once installed.

Finally, once the coamings were in, I decided to install the final deck beam and rough in the dash, just to see what it would look like. I may trim the coamings down further to make it a less aggressive step up out of the deck but I'm going to wait and see how it looks with the decking installed first as I think I'll end up wanting the extra height in the cockpit. Note that the dash is just being roughly held in place by friction right now, and that I still need to do the final trimming to fit it flush against the dash beam and mount it properly.

The whole cockpit finally framed in! (sort of)

I love how the lighter stripe along the bottom of all of the planks lines up perfectly - I book-matched the coamings, and specifically selected a different piece for the dash so that the light areas would still line up even though it's mounted at an angle.

It's a horrible photo, but if you've got good eyes you can see the raptor fastenings that hold the coaming laminations together through the curve - perfectly spaced to the fastening screws.

Anyways, I think that's it for this year. Next spring I'll hopefully be able to encapsulate, and then spend the summer installing hardware...fingers crossed!

Take care for now everyone :)

Denon
Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

Nice, thanks for the update :)
hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That's a really cool design. I'm glad someone is building one. Your doing excellent work!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139
Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

me too. Definitely a cool design.
Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

Thanks guys! I was sort of forced into it as I needed a V & jet drive, but it sure is turning out beautifully :)

Anyone want to start lending out advice on how to proceed with installation of all the inboard hardware? That's the one part I haven't tackled yet, as my last project was an outboard TNT...
chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D That is one awesome looking boat!Now you need to insulate the boatshed and heat it so you can work this winter.I couldn't stand waiting last winter and did that to mine(just fibreglass insulation and plastic covering ) since I had outside boiler to heat house-tyed into that with heat radiator and box fan.could get temp inside up to 80 when it was -30 outside.just a thought.I have a book around here somewhere on Berkely packajet .I'll let you know if I can find it.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine
ian bell

Post by ian bell »

Love your work ,are you going to epoxy seal the inside before final fitting of your top deck? You will find it rather hard afterwards . We are rather lucky here in Australia as we have very mild winters approx. 15 c to 20 c in Queensland .
Ian
Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

@ Chugalug I wish insulating the boat shed was the only problem...sadly the shed is on an island, so I can't get across until the dead of winter when the lake is frozen. And at that point I'm too busy snowmobiling to build the boat! :D

@ Ian Yes, the next step is to sand / fair the inside and completely encapsulate the hull, before the decking is put on. Then I'll install all of the hardware, and then finally the decking. Final planking will be encapsulated before installation so the entire boat is sealed in epoxy for longevity...it's going to end up taking around a decade to build, so I want it to last!!! Our winters are around 15 to 20 C too... at least if you stick a "minus sign" in front of those numbers... :wink:

Denon

Return to “Power Boats”