Super Huck Deck Extension Questions

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

jbwood

Super Huck Deck Extension Questions

Post by jbwood » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:22 pm

Hello,

I'm contemplating picking up a set of Super Huck plans with the cabin plans with an eye on building the 32' version. I'm looking at a live-aboard possibility. Here's my question(s): What would happen if I made the deck the same length as the pontoons? Is that okay or is it inadvisable? What would I lose in terms of stability or whatever else there is to lose (I have almost no experience with boats)? I know I'd gain 4 feet of deck, but is there anything else I'd gain? Would I have to change any dimensions other than length of the deck?

- Jeffery
Jeffery

Dave Grason

Re: Super Huck Deck Extension Questions

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:43 pm

I've had this set of plans for years with exactly the same long term goal - a 32 ft boat with the 16 ft cabin. I would love to live aboard.

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever that the deck cannot be extended. To err on the side of safety, I do plan on building my Super Huck as a tritoon - meaning that I will have a third pontoon running up the middle.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jbwood

Post by jbwood » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:23 pm

I've wondered about adding a 3rd pontoon. I'd need to extend the cabin. I get my 3 kids every other weekend and two weeks in the summer, so they need more "private" rooms than if they were extra guests; and the decks always look so cramped....
Jeffery

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:57 pm

Jeffrey,

It won’t cause issues if you wish to extend the deck. You may need to add some blocking on the pontoons to the area you want to attach the deck as I believe as designed it ends on a bulkhead.

jbwood

Post by jbwood » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:03 pm

Here's the big question then, if I build the 32' Super Huck with a full deck, can I make the cabin 28 feet instead of 16 feet?
Jeffery

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:42 am

This might be the time to check out the Mark Twain design. I really think that building a 28 ft cabin on a set of 32 ft pontoons is really pushing the design limit - not the way to err on the side of safety.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jbwood

Post by jbwood » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:17 pm

I didn't really care for the looks of the Mark Twain. What if I added a third pontoon? It's not so much for me, but for my semi-permanent kids who should have their own private place to sleep.
Jeffery

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:57 pm

Well Jeffrey, now you're getting into some of the REAL fun of boat building. We see designs that come close to our needs but not quite. SO, we begin to modify them to suit our own uses and, from that process, we gain insight, experience and knowledge. The entire beauty of this hobby is that you, the builder, get to build exactly what you want. Aint that GREAT? 8)

If this were my project, I would begin by trying to get some sort of idea as to how much weight each 32 foot plywood pontoon will support. I would multiply that by three because I wouldn't consider what you're doing without building a third pontoon. I would then try to get some idea of how much those three pontoons and the deck would weigh. Then I would know how much surplus load carrying ability i would have to play with because I honestly cannot see any other reason for one not to cover the entire deck with the cabin if s\he wanted. I have the plans myself, so I will get them out and try to help you with those figures. I don't think that there will be any algebra involved, so I think we're safe. (Maybe you're good at math but i dang sure aint! :lol: ) This could take some time but let's you and I both work on this from each side of the forum and let's see what we come up with. I think this will be , not only fun, but it should be very revealing.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:08 am

Ok, here's an update to my previous post.

This morning, I got out my Super Huck plans and the cabin plans. There is nothing anywhere in them that states load carrying capacity or even how much the structures will weigh.

Next, I went to the internet and googled "how to calculate how much weight a hull can carry." I ran the formulas based on the dimensions that are shown in my plans. I have to say that pontoon boats are rather deceptive. They LOOK like they can carry a lot more weight than they can actually carry. At 32 ft long, each hull can carry approximately 600 lbs. A pontoon, therefore, can carry 1200 lbs and a tritoon could carry 1800 lbs. These figures are ONLY estimates and they are a little conservative - meaning that in reality, there is some room for safety. I have to say that, for what you are proposing, this does not seem safe to me. It doesn't seem like 1800 lbs is very much capacity.

HOWEVER, something is amiss. Because, the Glen-L online catalog shows the Super Huck 32 ft pontoon as being able to support 4780 lbs. Oh yeah!! That's much more like it. :) And that's just a two hull design. A tritoon would then support 7170 lbs. According to those figures, you would have PLENTY of weight carrying capacity to do virtually anything you wanted with the boat. I would tend to believe the catalog claims because Glen is the guy that designed the boat and he really knows this stuff. He might even chime in here if he notices this thread.

jbwood

Post by jbwood » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:24 pm

I appreciate you looking into that, Dave, I don't get time off for a few more days. I was pondering adding a third pontoon anyway. The reason I don't want the cabin to go the full length of the deck is because I want a porch... or deck... or whatever you'd call it on a boat, a place to sit outside, BBQ/Grill, etc. I'd probably extend the roof-line of the cabin to have a covered porch, with uprights to support the end, of course.
Jeffery

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:46 am

:D If you are going to have covered porch,you could have enclosure made from canvass and flexable plastic windows and screens too.would be alot lighter.I'm thinking on doing that on My Bo-jest, only on back since I extended pilothouse roof back over stern area.I would have screens for when I'm anchored and camping or roll up for fishing and boarding or cover all with canvass and windows for rain squalls.Sailrite has some good how-to videos.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

jbwood

Post by jbwood » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:26 pm

I like that idea. I was thinking of offsetting the cabin about 3 feet or so off the stern so I have a place to set down groceries and whatnot while taking things in and out of the boat. Of course I have no plans to look at to see what they recommend in the first place, but that's entirely beside the point. :D
Jeffery

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:30 am

:D If I were to build a 32ft. pontoon houseboat,I would look into the Mark Twain plans as I would get more freeboard above waterline .Depends on your usage,I guess and trailer ability.Maybe the bigger pontoons would support the cabin without adding extra pontoon.Just my 2 zinc pennies.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:22 am

Look what I found! 8)

Here is a link to a displacement calculator so that one can plug in the numbers and get the capacity of his hull:

http://www.blueheronwings.com/bh/comps/bdesign.html

I plugged in the numbers from my own Huck Finn plans. I subtracted any part of the pontoon that tapered - immediate bow and stern. I wasn't trying to get exact figures and so, I just left those out. But we all know that those portions of the hulls would certainly add some buoyancy. Anyway, the numbers that I got came very close to what the Glen-L online info says. Try this out.

jbwood

Post by jbwood » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Jeffery

Return to “Design Modifications”