Highschool Riviera Build Project

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

18shamic

Highschool Riviera Build Project

Postby 18shamic » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi,
I am Michael and I currently starting my build on a Glen-L Riviera. I went back and forth trying to decide which plan I should build, and we decided that bigger would be better. (Safer) So, since I will be going off to college somewhat soon, we decided to buy a partially completed hull from Flordia. I will be finishing the hull and hopefully completing the boat within the year. I will post pictures, updates, and ask questions when they come up. Thank you!

-Michael

Attached are pictures of the Riviera in its current state. It needs to be flipped back over, stained, fiberglassed, and painted.
Attachments
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG

jamundsen

Re: Highschool Riviera Build Project

Postby jamundsen » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:49 pm

Cool project
There will be lots of advise and help on this forum
Welcome
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:36 pm

Welcome! Nice hull and trailer! Should be do-able in your timetable with that head start.

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:55 pm

Well it is one thirty in the morning, and I have just finished the stands that the riviera will rest on for the next couple months before we flip her back over. So far, I have ordered the stain - I decided to use Sandusky Wood Filler Stains - and I have done research on like hull paint, fiberglassing, and (although its somewhat far off) propulsion. Well I have attached files showing the stands resting on the boat; if you spot any immediate issues, please reach out. (I am new to this)

Thanks,
Michael
Attachments
IMG_0140.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0139.JPG.jpeg
Last edited by 18shamic on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:30 am

Just out of curiosity, you said that you picked up the project in Florida. In what part of the country do you live?

The reason that I ask is that is that anywhere in the southeast would be within striking distance of this next year's Gathering. You have here a project that a lot of people would love to fawn all over especially given your age. Even if you do not complete the boat in that time, you should bring it.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:07 am

We live in Northern Ohio - we will be using the boat on Lake Erie and Lake Chautauqua - but we have relatives in Tennessee, so it is very probable that I show up at the gathering, but less probable that I will be able to bring my boat. The trailer isn't in the best condition - but I plan to fix it and address some of the issues while epoxy is drying. I don't know, I might bring it, we will just have to see what the future holds.

-Michael

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:52 am

Michael
If I'm not mistaken which happens quite often
The Sandusky stain is an oil stain. If you are planning on epoxy over the stain be aware that epoxy does not adhere well to the oil stain. On my boat I put one coat of cpes to help seal the stain but if I were doing it over I would try to find a water based stain or put two coats of cpes over it. That's just my two cents.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:14 pm

I have looked around online, and I haven't been able to find much information about the Sandusky Stain. I might switch over to the Interlux stain, as this is definitely water based, and is proven to work well with epoxy. Or I might just use CPES. Thank You for letting me know about it, before I found out through trial and error.

-Michael

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:44 pm

At least a half of the job is thinking it through. The things that you will use later affect what you do today. Put your ideas out here. Everyone will try to guide you. That's what makes this place great!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Well foreseeably, in the next few months, I plan to use the Glen L Fiberglassing kit, Either Interlux or Sandusky Stain, West Marine Epoxy (for the coats after the fiberglassing is done), and Interlux compass clear varnish. Is there an advantage to two part Polyurethane instead of Varnish? Also, One of my relatives is a jeweler, and he has vats of jewelers epoxy. It is waterproof, and he was willing to give me one or two vats. It isn't marine grade, so I was not planning on doing fiberglassing or anything too important. I was going to so some interior stuff, like drawers, or i might coat the inside of the boat with it to waterproof and seal everything. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, I could use some advice. This has the potential to save a lot of money, which i could put toward the engine or transmission.

-Michael
Last edited by 18shamic on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:00 pm

Best of luck on your build Michael! I used Interlux Interstain on my Monaco and it is not water based. It is definitely oil based. There maybe other stains from Interlux that are water based, but I have not heard of them. I used Smith's CPES over the stain to seal it before I applied the epoxy and it worked great. In my opinion, Interlux Perfection Plus two part poly is the way to go. Varnish will have to be applied every year or every other year. The Perfection Plus has been proven to last years without needing to be redone. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:18 am

Sounds like a good plan. There are a lot of product choices out there and most every builder will have favorites and personal preferences from what they have researched and used with good results. Nothing stands out in your plan as being non-compatible, although I don't know anything about jewelry epoxy so check up on that. I'll mention that you can get MAS epoxy from the Glen-L website and its a fantastic non-blushing epoxy for all your epoxy needs. It never hurts to buy what you can right here, price is the same as anywhere else I have found. Also, varnish will last a decade if your boat is garaged when not in use. The ones left outside in the elements all summer are the ones that need refreshed every couple years.

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:14 pm

I plan to have the boat garaged and covered when its not out on the water - I already have a trailer. Do you know if its better to put the inboard hardware on while its flipped, or afterwards? And what about drilling the shaft hole?

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:17 pm

its easier to drill the shaft hole with the hull upside down. I would fit all the underwater gear at that time. You can always remove the parts and install them rightside up.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:22 pm

I don't have an engine or transmission yet - so is there a way to fuigure out exactly where the shaft hole is going to be?

-Michael

Return to “Power Boats”