Flats Flyer Build in Orlando

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

specialk

Re: Flats Flyer Build in Orlando

Postby specialk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:30 am

WOOHOO... looks good Tracy... now the fun starts .....SANDING...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:43 am

Tracy

It's good when you know you have a boat! The filling and sanding, at this stage, don't take that long in the big picture. Good Job!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

tcough

Postby tcough » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:59 pm

I'm actually looking forward to it for some strange reason. With the wood working done for this stage, it's good to be doing something a little different. I don't think the topsides will be as trying, it seems like it will be straight forward. And my wife is starting to really warm up to the project some more. Getting to take a ride in your build Kelly gave her a big boost of confidence in the endeavor. Fiberglass arrived and I'm looking forward to being ready by Christmas when my son is here to hopefully help.

I've been reading several different sources and watching all the YouTube videos I can find but there seems to be many different ways to approach fiberglassing. Here's what I'm planning to do, please let me know if you see something I missed in my process or something I'm (planning on) doing wrong. I'm going to go with the dry method, just seems like I'll have more time to work through the initial process. I've seen some recommend a seal coat (one option on the Glen-L site) but it's not mentioned in the Fiberglassing Boats book from Glen-L. I'm not going to do a seal coat, just lay down the cloth and start wetting it out. After it tacks, I'll start the fill coat(s) and build up until I get what I think is a good covering, maybe 2 or even 3 applications. Hopefully with my son helping, I'll be able to do the entire hull each time I do a fill coat and the initial wet out.

Not sure how much epoxy I'll need, but I'm thinking I'll need 3 gallons, based on the fiberglass kit that Glen-L sells for this boat. Going to use 6 oz cloth, with at least 2 layers on the keel/bottom just because I seem to find all the shallow places I run my other boat onto.

Any and all help/suggestions always appreciated.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:44 am

Tracy,
I would recommend sealing the hull with epoxy before you put the cloth on. If you don't seal, the bare wood will absorb some of the epoxy and you might have trouble getting a full bond as you work the resin through the cloth.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:29 pm

I used CPES to seal the hull.
Very fast as a little went a long way.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

specialk

Postby specialk » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:43 pm

Tracy .. I did what you are planning... not saying right are wrong... I taped my cloth to the boat hull, worked out the wrinkles and applied the epoxy to the cloth...if you get a bubble or dry spot work it out before going to far...
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Probably won't be fiberglassing this weekend, except maybe the transom, but I want to make sure the bottom is flat. I found a couple places where the plywood butt-joints didn't quite meet level, so I'll need to fill/fair them this weekend. I have 4 days off both this weekend and next, so maybe the fiberglassing can be done next weekend.

I really want the bottom flat and willing to take my time to get it right.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:10 pm

Sanding sucks. Enough said.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:20 pm

Dumb mistake. Started fiberglassing the transom today and used a fast curing accelerator instead of the slow by mistake. Result is a well placed layer of cured fiberglass with only 1 coat of resin. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it until I went out to apply the next coat and found that it had cured beyond the fingernail test. Temps today were in the 80's so it cured much quicker than the slow hardener would.

Question is can I go ahead and apply the next coat of resin or do I need to sand before applying it? I don't want to damage the weave of the glass as it's such a thin layer of epoxy but I don't want to have a weak bond. I can accept a mechanical bond (preferred the chemical bond but fear that I've lost that opportunity).

Help please!
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:24 am

I'd coat it this morning! It never hurts to do a light sanding.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

tcough

Postby tcough » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:33 pm

Thanks Bill, that's what I did. It was warm here yesterday but temps were going to drop today. I planned on using the slow hardener yesterday with follow up coats of fast hardener today. I was able to get 3 more coats on today and it's looking really nice for a first timer!

Glad to see someone suggest something that confirms what I did. Fortunately, if it fails, which I don't think it will, it's a small area that can be fairly easy to fix.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Postby specialk » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:31 am

Tracy... pictures... we need pictures some of us can't read...LOL
2nd Boat.....?

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:21 pm

ditto
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

tcough

Postby tcough » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:13 pm

I know, it didn't happen if there's no pictures. Rained all day but I'll try to get some tomorrow.....
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:41 pm

Finished fiberglassing the bottom this weekend. Only got 2 coats of epoxy on her before stopping for the day. It's going to get cold tonight, down into the low 40's tonight, so I didn't want to have wet/tacky epoxy before sunset. I'm using West Systems fast hardener, which is good down to 40 per their instructions. It will be a couple weeks before I can work on her again, so the epoxy should be well set by then, so I can sand the whole thing down and hopefully get a couple more coats on her before prime/paint.
Attachments
IMG_1474.JPG
IMG_1477.JPG
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Return to “Hankinson designs”