Flats Flyer Build in Orlando

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

tcough

Re: Flats Flyer Build in Orlando

Postby tcough » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:17 am

OK, so I'm nearing the point where I need to prime & paint the bottom of the Flyer. I still need to sand and apply a couple more coats of epoxy plus add additional fiberglass at the corners of the chine & keel. I'm leaning heavily towards Interlux Brightside over their PrimeKote primer, but I see a few reviews on Jamestown Distributer from people that have had problems with this products durability. There are many of you that have used it and from the photos, have had excellent results. Not sure if stepping up to their Perfection system makes sense for me as I'll be rolling & tipping outdoors. Seems like there have been a lot of issues applying it outside.

My question(s) is/are: does it make sense to step up to the Perfection? It's going on a saltwater fishing boat that will be trailered all the time with the occasional (maybe twice a year) weekend stay in the water. Will the Brightside system hold up to the trailering? I will use the boat every other weekend, year round (benefit of living in Florida).

Also, do these finishes need to be waxed every now and then? If so, what is everyone using on them? The gel-coat on my Hurricane has taken a beating from the sun down here and I need to do a detailed polishing/waxing on it.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

slug

Postby slug » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am

Tracy; Over the years on my builds I've grown to like Dupont's two part urethane finishes. (I think the newest one is Duothane but not certain. Used to be Imron.)
They are almost idiot proof and I found if you get runs....or "slides" they are easy to sand and buff out, However, they are extremely tough and flow very nice. The only problem I ever had was trying to put too much on at once....anxious to see the finished results of course....thus the slides.

These are the same paints that are common on commercial aircraft.

Doug

specialk

Postby specialk » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:33 am

Tracy... your Flats Flyer is looking good... was down for 8 days with the wind and cold weather not much fishing was done... but had a great time.. no matter what stay away from Super Marine paint....

P.S I am calling Gayle today about number 2...I think I will attempt to build a tunnel hull in this one...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:57 am

Kelly

It's been nasty down here lately, but much nicer than the crap in the NE.

I've read somewhere that someone had great success with their Ironsides paint. Is that what you used? What kind of problems are you having with it? I'm leaning towards the Interlux Brightsides as a lot of folks have reported great results rolling & tipping it.

I can see how this boat building can be addictive to wood workers and why you're already thinking about another build. There's something about undertaking a large project that gets me excited (perhaps the engineer in me) and to construct something out of wood using my two hands is addictive. Let us know what you decide.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:09 am

Andy Garret use ironsides on his zip and is very happy with it.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

tcough

Postby tcough » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:05 pm

Bryan - I think that's who I saw comment on how happy they were with it. If I recall, it was on a Zip.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Postby specialk » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:18 am

Tracy... how is the paint coming... ?
Your build is looking good...
We still have plans to come down and camp at our favorite place around Easter...if you are ready to flip will come over and help...let me know...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Been distracted by other activities lately, plus we've had a lot of rain and some cold weather down here. Lows in the upper 30's, too cold to finish up epoxy/fiberglass work outside. This weekend, I hope to get the corners reinforced with another layer (after sanding the entire hull) and a couple final coats of epoxy.

Keep me in the loop for Easter. I don't know where my build will be at that time, but if ready, I appreciate whatever help I can get with the flip.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Conrad

Postby Conrad » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:12 pm

Tracy,

I just picked up plans for this boat a couple of days ago. Does the plan actually call for specific lumber? What did you opt for? Cypress? Teak? I'm also thinking about a mahogany veneer up the sides to give it a more classic wood look. What kind of plywood? Did you special order the 9mil as marine plywood?

I know that's a ton of questions.

V/r

Conrad
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

tcough

Postby tcough » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:42 pm

Conrad wrote:I just picked up plans for this boat a couple of days ago. Does the plan actually call for specific lumber? What did you opt for? Cypress? Teak? I'm also thinking about a mahogany veneer up the sides to give it a more classic wood look. What kind of plywood? Did you special order the 9mil as marine plywood?

I know that's a ton of questions.

Welcome Conrad! First, don't worry about asking too many questions. I think everyone on this forum has had to ask several questions and gotten a great response or advice. It's not only knowledge you'll pick up, but you can have fun as well reading about everyone's trial's and tribulations.

The plans don't call out specific lumber to use. If you get a copy of Glen-L's Boatbuilding with Plywood book, which everyone will highly recommend, you'll gain an enormous amount of knowledge, to include wood selection. Basically, you can use any type of wood local to you that is suitable for boat building. By the way, add your location to your profile so we can better help you source materials. I'm using southern yellow pine for frames with some cypress here and there. So far all my plywood has been marine grade douglas fir. It's not as sexy as the other boats you'll see here, but I plan on painting the entire boat. It's going to be used for fishing, and if its too pretty, I'm afraid I won't be able to force myself to put it where the fish are. I was able to find a local lumber yard that had marine ply in all thicknesses in stock. As I do some woodworking as a small side business, I have an in with a local wholesaler.

I want to have some bright finish somewhere, after all, it is a wood boat, but will probably leave that for the center console, similar to what Special K did on his build. He just finished his Flats Flyer late last year and has a build thread as well, here's a link: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25639 I say go for the veneer if you want, there is no wrong way to build the boat. The plans are fairly easy to follow, and don't be afraid to ask if you get stuck.

Welcome again and glad to see another FF being built.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Conrad

Postby Conrad » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks,

I'll look into the book. I'm always down for adding more books to my woodworking collection. Morris Farms Cypress Sawmill is right up the road, so I am going to try to stick with cyprus for the frame. I was thinking of basically matching the most common Blue/White FF you see in pictures, but where the blue is on the outside, making that the mahogany veneer. Then, building the inner deck out of mahoghany to match. Then, maybe Macassar Ebony for the console with chrome controls to help to contrast out. Because I love fly fishing and being able to walk the rails, I would love considering widening them a bit. Overall that, I don't plan to change much...that's why I chose the FF.

Thanks for the info. And your build looks great. I saw Kelly's and Z-woods on another forum. Both great builds
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

Conrad

Postby Conrad » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:22 am

Tracy,

I meant to ask. Is there a point to purchasing the screw kit? With modern technology, why not just use exterior screws? Seems REDICULOUSLY steep for just the screws.
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

tcough

Postby tcough » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:47 pm

Conrad wrote:Tracy,

I meant to ask. Is there a point to purchasing the screw kit? With modern technology, why not just use exterior screws? Seems REDICULOUSLY steep for just the screws.

After checking around in several places, I found Glen-L has about the best price you get for silicon bronze screws, which is all I used except for the galvanized bolts connecting the keel to the transom knee/stem and the transom brace to the transom. There is a lot of discussion on the forum about the disadvantages/advantages of one screw material over another but for me, my build will see more salt water than freshwater so I went with the SB screws and nails. Stainless needs exposure to oxygen to prevent it from developing crevice cracking, which ultimately leads to failure. I'm not sure what type of exterior screw you're thinking about, but do your research first. The SB hardware is more expensive, but in the scheme of things, it's a very small percentage of the overall cost. If you do a decent job of fitting your ply/lumber connections, it's been said that epoxy alone will be adequate to keep your boat together. But I think most on here will agree that the screws/nails, of whatever material you select, will just add some extra strength and piece of mind.

Weigh your options and keep in mind how you plan to use your boat. In the end, most types of materials will work, it's just a matter of how well you maintain your boat.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:23 pm

Based on comments from SpecialK and seeing other Flat's Flyer builders, I'm going to add a spray rail to my build. Based on what Carl is going through with his build, comments from others, and based on my plans, I'm not sure what I should do, but here's what I'm planning on doing.

Img_1304.jpg
What my plans show to do

I'm planning on doing something similar to what Carl is doing. My rail will follow the chine line from transom to a point near the transition joint, with a taper up front and rectangular shape. About mid-way back, transition the bottom of the rail to be in-line with the hull bottom. I'll fill the gap between the rail and hull like Carl.

This is different from my plans, but think it's best, at least for my build. Any comments or words of support?
Happy Boating,
Tracy

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:54 am

Tracy, I had to write Gayle at Glen L to get some confirmation on the approach I took. She confirmed that from mid point back the bottom edge of the spray rail should transition into the same plane as the bottom of the boat. One caveat, I only asked this concerning my own boat design. The plans said rectangular cross section aft of frame five, but that frame is more than two thirds the way from the transom. And the book says that from midpoint back the spray rails should follow the contour of the boat. So with Gayle's input as well as other experienced builders here, I took the approach I used.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Hankinson designs”