Help Get Ethanol out of Premium Gasoline

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Dave Grason

Re: Help Get Ethanol out of Premium Gasoline

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Caber-Feidh wrote:memo 2 Never admit to driving, much less owning a volvo anything, it gets you laughed at. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Are you kidding? I love my Volvo! It's a 240 with over 400,000 miles and still going strong. Hey, it's gotten me to several Gatherings and what more could a guy want? :lol:
Attachments
me&theblubrik.mod.JPG
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:38 pm

I just flew back from mexico and stopped at a little airport in texas. They are running training aircraft on ethanol and have an STC for the use of it in an airplane. The planes run on either 100 LL octane or ethanol. The Universtiy of Houston is working with them.They said it costs about $1500 to $2000 to convert the aircraft. They told me they are spending about $1.72 per gallon for the ethanol. For a plane that usually uses 6 gallons per hour they are now using 7.2 but they state that the horsepower is up from 108 to 130. http://greenairportsdevelopment.com/index.html
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

vettepilot

Postby vettepilot » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:17 am

Caber-Feidh wrote:Most model engines are a magnesium-aluminum alloy. My understanding is that the magnesium reduces the reactivity of the aluminum by creating a magnesium-aluminum oxide coating over the surface. Methanol dissolves the normal AL2O3 coat that protects the metal. In the case of a mag alloy the oxide layer is around 3x the thickness of that found in typical aluminum. Just to make it all worse, the alloy found in the typical outboard was a zinc-aluminum alloy. A metal even more reactive in the presents of Methanol than pure Al.

Model engines also run an oil-fuel ratio that is impossible to achieve as a practical application in a large engine. Further, castor oil does buffer the corrosive effects of the alcohol. They end a flight dripping with goop. Can you imagine running your boat with a 15:1 mix of castor and klotz? Sure to impress the DNR with that self-propelled stink-bomb.

In the case of methanol-rated carbs, they are hard anodized over a more corrosion-resistant alloy. They are still slowly damaged, but it becomes a matter of many years, not a single season. They are sold as "methanol resistant". Everyone I know has fitted a quick-drain to the carb to dump the bowl. Methanol is hard on the rubber, requiring a synthetic for diaphragms, gaskets. (methanol + holly stock power valve= methanol-waterfall into the manifold,)

As far as Methanol injection goes, the idea was to cool the incoming air charge through evaporation, and reduce it's non-compressable density by absorbing the free moisture in the air. It acted a bit like a chemical inter-cooler. Setup properly a mix of 55% water:45% Methanol injected with 91 octane will run in a 13:1 engine just fine. Methanol injection is making a return in the high performance diesel engines. (if there is such a thing) My attempt to use it was, well, lets just say it was slightly less than a raging success-unless the measure of success was just how far I could make pieces of an hirth engine fly. (I used a Snow's kit to build my grenade, er, I mean drag sled, resulting self-disassembling engine was my fault, not the kit's)

Having Being a Small Engine Mechanic for over 30 yrs ....You are quite correct!!! One more thing on ethanol and 2stroke motors is as soon as you add oil to the mix the fuel (be it ethanol or normal unleaded fuel) will start to deteriate, so that after aprox 2-4 weeks of standing in a unused fuel container it has probably gone past its use by date....You only have to smell it to know...If its real old you will get an instant headache...I have pulled numerous carbies apart only to find a yellow gunk inside that blocks everything and is nearly impossible to remove...so if you are going to use this fuel in older engines and not use them for a while ...drain them and fill them with a mix of diesel and kero...for storage :wink:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

J Clark

Postby J Clark » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:41 am

Ever hear of trick racing fuel :roll: That was the only thing that ever touched our carbs when I was a kid. That was back when only the folks in South America were using ethanol. I do believe theirs is derived from sugarcane and not liberty corn, big difference, at least politically

Smitty48

Postby Smitty48 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:18 pm

I have used Ethanol gasoline in everything I own (Chrysler, Audi, Corvettes, Pontiac, Evenrude, Lawnboy, Toro, Weedeater, etc.) ever since it came onto the market (30 years?) and I have never had a gasoline related issue.

Smitty

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Smitty48 wrote:I have used Ethanol gasoline in everything I own (Chrysler, Audi, Corvettes, Pontiac, Evenrude, Lawnboy, Toro, Weedeater, etc.) ever since it came onto the market (30 years?) and I have never had a gasoline related issue.

Smitty

the problem is that it leave residue in boat motor carburetor and in older engines eat the gaskets
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

X23

Postby X23 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:08 pm

Florida had a requirement for all retail fuel to have a minimum of 10% corn squeezins, with an exception for classic cars & small engines. So a few places sell 100% gasoline even today.

This April the FL legislature came up with a bill to repeal the requirement, and the gov just signed it. As of 1 July 2013 there will be no state requirement.

The federal requirement still applies, but so far permits a small percentage of real gasoline to be used for transportation. It does not apply to "other than road use" fuel, so a window exists to have real fuel for marine use, before the feds stomp out another bill to prevent that.

Check pure-gas.org for a retail operation near your location.

Jack

weasel

Postby weasel » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:07 pm

I have used 91 octane NON-OXYGENATED fuel in all (3) my boats, my small engines, tractors, snow blowers etc.
I was told by the fuel distributor in my area years ago, that the 90 or better octane Non-Oxygenated fuel has no ethanol in it. I have never had any gumming issues or any starting problems after storage in 17 years.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:56 pm

I clicked on this thread to see what had just been posted. It always amazes me how a thread can go on and on for years sometimes. Then it fades out into forum obscurity until WAMMO!! Someone bumps it.

So, when I clicked on the thread, I was suddenly surprised to find that photo of myself leaning on my old Volvo. I had completely forgotten about that photo being on this forum. That photo is now several years old - 2010. Since it was taken, I've put on quite a bit of weight, lost some more hair, had a heart attack and now, I'm on the mend and the weight is coming back down. ....little by little. And WHERE ARE MY GLASSES? Was I not wearing glasses in 2010? Now days, I can't go anywhere without them unless I just want to bump into everything that I encounter.

The old Volvo, on the other hand, has officially turned over 500,000 miles, has been lowered with new bushings, shocks and sway bars and been given a completely new and very badly needed paint job. So, I've gotten uglier and the car has gotten better looking. :lol: :lol:

I'll post a photo as soon as I can.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “Power Boats”