I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Mark-NJ

I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Postby Mark-NJ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:34 pm

Two weeks ago, I had lumber in my garage. I was a lumber buyer.

Last week I had all these crazy-shapes of cut wood which, if properly assembled, will look like "boat components". I was a wood cutter.

But now that I've begun gluing frames, I'm declaring myself to be "A Boat Builder!"

Here's my first (of many, I'm sure!) question:

The plans call for the frame pieces to be butt-joined, then gussets get glued / nailed over the joint. But I decided to extend the "short pieces" so that there was 100% overlap. From there I made half-lap joints for more joint surface area. With such a large increase in glue-bond area, are the gussets still required? I'm thinking "maybe not", but I defer to the experience you all can offer. The wood is Sapele, and I'm using G-L Poxy-Grip, if that matters..

Whatsay ye?

Thanks!,

Mark
Last edited by Mark-NJ on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soloboat

Re: I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Postby Soloboat » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:48 pm

There is a builder here did exactly what you purport if I am not mistaken I think it is GDCarpenter maybe he wil chime in.
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:49 pm

gdcarpenter 'chiming in'.

I used half lap joints on the frames on my ZIP, no gussets. 3 years later, over 5,000 trailered miles, many launches, retrievals, and wave pounding and all's well. Go for it.

I did add decorative corner brackets hat you can hopefully see in the photo. Mostly for looks.

Married to a 'Jersie Girl', exit 9.

Congrats, if I ever build another boat, NOT, the Ski Tow would be a serious contender.
Attachments
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:54 am

Thanks! That confirms my thinking...

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:53 am

Keep us updated and make sure to post some pictures as you go. Lots of folks here willing to answer questions as well. Congrats on starting your boat building journey!

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:56 am

That's the plan...

I'm trying to take as many "during" pictures as I can. I know from past home improvement projects, there's always a ton of "after" pictures, but never enough "before" and "during".

As of yet, there's not much to show, but it will start taking form pretty soon, I hope! I have limited space to layout / glue / clamp the frames, so until they're finished & on the form, it's slow going.

Mark

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:32 am

I hear that. I had to do them one at a time myself. I also encapsulated them while they were horizontal which I think I will thank myself for later.

Mark-NJ

Re: I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction! UPDATE: Chines

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun May 01, 2016 9:49 am

Based on gdcarpenter's post, I opted to do half-lap joints...

I built a router jig out of scrap, and set up each piece for proper cutting

The results were pretty good!

Anyway, fast-forward to yesterday (4/30): The starboard chine is in! It was a productive day, and this is starting to take shape!

The Sapele was NOT going to work for chine material....it won't bend, it won't steam. It just simply "won't" much of anything requiring bending or twisting. So the winner: let White Oak rule the day. And it did!

I had to get a little creative with the clamping at the stem, because there wasn't really much to pull against. So I rigged up some grab points on my building frame, and everything worked great. A few "dry runs" to verify lengths, angles, etc. then it was glue time. In short, starboard side is done!

(the battens are not glued in yet...they're just laying in place.)

So today was "Port Side".

Dry fit...screw the bow end to the chineblock....dry fit....bevel a few frame angles....dry fit....cut to length.....dry fit....fit aft end to the transom......

I count at least 4 dry fits....don't you? Never once did the chine (or any other component) complain.

Mixed up the epoxy, glued, screwed & clamped the bow end, while the wife dutifully held the chine at the right height & angle. With everything tight, we began walking it around. The moment the chine touched the foremost frame, ***CRACK***. The chine split at the chineblock.....game over.

So I removed all screws & clamps and laid the misbehaving chine on the garage floor. I opened up the split with a few wedges and epoxied every inside surface liberally. Let it cure for a day or 2 and we'll try it all over again. Meanwhile, I'm going to watch the Talladega race and not think about it.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun May 01, 2016 12:04 pm

At least it happened before your epoxy cured. I had a sheer snap a week after it was installed.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun May 01, 2016 6:59 pm

Cracks are just a part of it.

Looks like you're off to a great start. Keep up the good work.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun May 15, 2016 3:07 pm

Hey gang!

Things are moving forward at a reasonable pace, and I'm starting to feel like I know what I'm doing! Sort of...

The cracked chine was fixed and installed. No problems.

Sheers went on pretty easily. I don't have a steam box, but if I wrapped the sheers in shop towels and repeatedly poured boiling water on them, after an hour they bent easily into place.

Here's the 2nd sheer being soaked...

Then I bent them into place & clamped them. No glue yet, this is just to help the wood take a set

The next night, everything got epoxied. (clearly the opposite side, but you get the idea...)

Today I steamed & bent a pair of "3rd sheers" for additional bow support... (and I'm thinking that an extra chine might not be a bad idea, so I may make a pair tonight)

Now, I do have a question / problem. With the shears on, the geometry of my bow doesn't look right. Seems to me my stem is "too far back"....shouldn't it "meet up" with the sheers and breasthook? I think so, because as I start to envision the fairing of the bow components, I can't visualize how "this" will work.

No big deal....I can build up the stem with wood & epoxy, but before I do, can someone please let me know if you agree with what I'm seeing:

More pics as I progress!!

mark

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun May 15, 2016 3:35 pm

your second to last pic ,I can see you might have faired stem down to point at least a little past chines.I would have continued the fairing all the way down at least you would have an accurate spot to put shears.Since it looks like you epoxied everything,the stem might have to be built up a little so everything can be faired and prepped for ply.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

jenko

Postby jenko » Sun May 15, 2016 3:40 pm

yep your right just add a bit

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun May 15, 2016 3:47 pm

Indeed, I did a wee little bit of fairing today, just to see how things would lie. But I didn't fair very far below the chines, as the architecture of the stem seemed to me to be wrong down at the breasthook.

I'll build it up a bit so there's material to fair off & bring everything into alignment with the sheers.

Thanks for the help.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon May 16, 2016 5:18 pm

Perfect timing! My new shipment of Poxy-Grip arrived on my doorstep this evening!

I notched the stem, cut some ply pieces, whipped up a small batch of epoxy....in 24 hours, I'll have a brand new new stem!

Ain't pretty now, but it will be!

EDIT: I'm not sure why the glue line makes it look like these pieces don't fit together well....they do! Just the way my flash caught it, I guess.

Return to “Power Boats”