Flats Flyer Build in Orlando

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

specialk

Re: Flats Flyer Build in Orlando

Postby specialk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:18 am

ok Tracy... I can't stand it any longer... what color are you going to paint your Flyer... and it still looks good for us at Easter in Long Point...you ready to flip...?
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Haven't had near the time I wanted, been busy with Shriners events. Next weekend I plan to finish fiberglasssing, I want to put two more coats of epoxy on her before painting. Speaking of painting, I'm going to go with just white for the bottom, but still thinking of dark blue on the sides. I don't need to worry about that until after the deck is on. I'm about a month or so out before the flip if all goes well, I want to let the epoxy and paint cure completely before the flip.

Let me know the dates you're here and let's get together!
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

Conrad

Postby Conrad » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:31 pm

Did you ever think of building the boat form on casters? Do you think this would give way to level issues? I'm only thinking of it for moving it in and out of the garage as needed for other woodworking projects.

John
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

tcough

Postby tcough » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:04 am

If I was building on a hard surface, then I would have used castors. But as I'm building it outside, I wanted to eliminate any chance of getting out of level during the build. At this point, if I wanted, I could raise the frame and place castors under it to move it about because the frames, keel, plywood and fiberglass have been finished, so little chance of problems until after the flip. I'd still need to make sure everything was level and plumb after the flip to make sure the decking goes on right however. But once she's flipped, she will be placed on a stand with 10" wheels I picked up at Harbor Freight. If you look around on the forum, you'll see many builds where the building form was on castors, but these are on a hard surface. If you are considering it, I say go for it, wish I could have.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:23 pm

Did I ever say that I hate sanding? Oh yeah, I did :cry: :cry: :cry:

About halfway through the final sanding of the bottom before primer and paint. Hopefully, with the time change, I can get a little done each night before it gets to dark to work. Maybe the first coat of primer next weekend!!! :D :D :D
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:35 am

OK, weather hasn't cooperated with me, but I did get the final sanding done yesterday and ready for primer, I think. Was going to try the Rustoleum paint but after exchanging emails with the tech department, I've decided against it. They do not recommend their primer/paint products for below the waterline at all. Even for just an overnight. Sooo, now I'm looking for another product. Leaning towards Interlux Brightside PU.
IMG_1604.JPG
Finally finished sanding bottom, ready for primer & paint
Happy Boating,
Tracy

flordia boy

Postby flordia boy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:29 pm

tracy...just spoke to George Balmer tonight he is going to get me and come help when you are ready to turn it over///we wait for your call.....looked at your post online...one thing I did when I built my tugg, was...I contacted a Co. in orlando, Midwest Chemicals...they make a product called "Grizzly Grip", it a bedliner paint, used on trucks, etc....very durable / waterproof...It comes in any color you want....I painted the inside of my hull, and decks with it...I brushed it on the difficult areas, and rolled the flat areas..I'm very happy with it, and its cooler on your feet in the open sun..check it out...see you soon...wayne/ Flordia Boy.

tcough

Postby tcough » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:24 pm

I'll check into them Wayne. And looking forward to the flip and all the new found help!
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:48 pm

Has anyone used Interlux's PrimeKote, followed by Brightsides, below the waterline on boats that are in the water for only a couple days max? I see their website states not to use PrimeKote below the waterline, but I will trailer the boat most of the time, with maybe once or twice a year leaving it overnight.

How did it fair if you did?
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Finally got the bottom primed and painted. Put second coat on today and pretty pleased with the results with rolling and tipping. Some brush marks but I may not worry about the ones that won't been seen after the flip. Will need to do some sanding/polishing around the bow though.
FullSizeRender.jpg
Bottom primed

IMG_1738.JPG
Painted bottom and primed sides, just waiting for the flip in a few weeks.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Postby specialk » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:00 am

Looks good Tracy... so when is the flip...?
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:02 pm

Thanks Kelly.

Going to look at removing a paint run this weekend and may need to put on another coat of paint. We'll see how it goes. I want to let the paint cure for at least 2 weeks before flipping to make sure it's hard. Probably looking at a flip in mid-May.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:33 pm

Tracy,

I feel for you. Going through the same exact thing right now. I have to put on another primer coat and then more sanding. Between the extra work and the weather, my flip keeps getting delayed. I had originally hoped to have it done by today, but it now looks like it might be June before I actually get to it. Just hang in thre, soon you'll be on the other side and then you can start on the creative part. I am so looking forward to that myself.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

tcough

Postby tcough » Sun May 01, 2016 1:48 pm

At least the sanding of the primer/paint seems to go much quicker and easier. Hang in there yourself Carl, we'll both be moving to the fun stuff soon.

I can say that the bottom is done! WOO WHOO I want to let the paint harden a couple of three weeks before the flip. Gives me time to build a cradle until I find a trailer.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Tue May 10, 2016 8:59 am

This weekend is for building the cradle for after the flip, but as I noodlate on how this is going to happen, I got to thinking (I know, that's a bad thing). There will come a point during the flip that the boat will be on its side while people move around to "catch" it as it is rolled. Is it OK to let it sit on it's side while people reposition themselves or do I need to come up with some type of rest for it? Or I'm I over-thinking it?
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Return to “Hankinson designs”