New Member from NJ

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

richarts

New Member from NJ

Postby richarts » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:48 am

Hi to All,

I am just starting on the Monaco Utility version. I have a couple of questions about the stringers. Are the 2x6 stringer dimensions in the plans nominal or actual? Looks like the dashed stringer end view pattern on the transom plans is 5 1/2 x 1 1/2 indicating that the given 2x6 dimensions are nominal. How about other dimensions in the plans; are they actual or nominal?

Also is there a preference on the stringer wood, e.g. doug fir or mahogany?

I look forward to the Glen-L building experience. I have build several other boats including Harry Bryan's Bessie and Rambler. I also built Ted Brewer's Capecod Catboat ( I think a picture is still on his website).

DrBryanJ

Re: New Member from NJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:55 am

Hi Richarts:

Welcome to the forum. What part of NJ are you from. I'm from Pompton Plains. I believe the dimensions are nominal, but since my boat doesn't have stringers I can't say for sure. I'm sure someone that has built a boat with stringers will chime in.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:58 am

All dimensions nominal, as you say, unless noted as "net" in the plans. So for instance on my boat the chines are supposed to be "net" 1 inch so I had to laminate a 3/16" strip onto my 1" (milled to 13/16") lumber.

richarts

Postby richarts » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:18 am

Thanks for the feedback on the dimensions! I live in Mountainville, NJ. It is between Califon and Oldwick.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”