Downeast Monaco Utility build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

LarryMo

Re: Downeast Monaco Utility build

Postby LarryMo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi Nick,

Alan Close showed me some of his holiday photos that included a few of your Monaco. It's looking great. I am also building one in the north-east corner of Australia (Cairns, Queensland - about 1,100 miles north of Alan) but I'm not quite as advanced as you are. Your photos are a help to me.
It will be good for me to keep watching your posts. Larry

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi Larry-
Nice to hear from you- Alan has left global footprints for us to walk in, and there's also a gent in Texas, sscobra, who is finishing up an incredible Monaco. If you haven't seen his build thread, you've got to check it out. I'm only inching along at this point, but enjoying every minute. Good luck with your efforts; I'll keep an eye out for your pictures-
Cheers-
Nick

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:49 pm

Wow- 11 months since my last progress report- I spent the fall and early winter ripping and scarfing oak for the chines, sheers and battens. Then notching, fitting, a little bit of steaming, finally installing with SB screws and thickened epoxy. Eventually, it got so cold that even the kerosene space heater wasn't enough (the stink-to-heat ratio grew too large), so I took a break for a few months.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=26605

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0369.JPG

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:08 pm

When things warmed up, it was time to start fairing. I got pretty handy with a Bosch power planer, and also (very carefully) used a high speed grinder swinging a 20 grit pad. This resulted in several bucketfuls of very expensive chips and dust. I used a router with a 1/2 inch wide round nosed bit to cut the limber holes, then sealed the fresh wood with epoxy. Next came the transom plywood, 9mm Oukume ply fastened with epoxy, SB boat nails, and a few SB screws, followed by 2 laminations of 1/2 inch oak to form the transom deck beam, steamed then fastened with epoxy and SB screws.

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:45 pm

With the transom edges cleaned up, planking begins. Using 5 inch strips of 4mm Oukume ply on the sides. Starting approx frame 4, working in both directions from there. A little less than 45 degrees to get max use out of the 8 foot strips of ply. Planning on reducing to 3-1/2 inch strips when the curves get severe fore and aft. Scuffed all oak with the grinder, then pre-soaked for a bit with un-thickened epoxy to ensure a good bond. Then, thickened epoxy, and using Red Hawk composite staples, 1/2 inch crown with 3/8 legs. Found a sweet little stapler, SpotNails model PS5016 for $69.99 on amazon. It needed a little fiddling to get the staples to slide freely in the magazine, but easy to do, and I'm happy with it so far. Those staples sometimes crumple when they hit the oak, but less so as my technique improves. The best thing is that they are easily smoothed with a RO sander- no pulling! One side of each seam has a slight bevel to allow for a fingertip application of glue to run the length of it.

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

Return to “Power Boats”