Highschool Riviera Build Project

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

18shamic

Re: Highschool Riviera Build Project

Postby 18shamic » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi everyone,
So far my summer has been even more busy than the school year. But I have run into many problems involving the drilling of the shaft hole. The most recent and by far the largest problem is that I ordered the wrong strut. It did not have enough drop, and I found this out after I had chiseled a very nice, neat hole in the bottom to seat it. I found this out a few weeks ago, and the next morning I left on a trip, so I could not call Glen L. I have just gotten back, I have called Glen L, and I am exchanging the strut for the correct one - its the 15.4 degree strut that comes with a bearing. But the strut wont ship out until the 19th - which is unfortunate, because I am leaving for another trip on the 21st, which will run until the ned of the summer. I am determined to have the boat almost ready to flip over by the time I leave, which means I have to fill in the hole I chiseled out, and then do the fiberglass. After I do the fiberglass, I am going to pick out hull paint (I was thinking red) and then when I get back, I am going to chisel out a new hole for the strut, and drill the hole, and have the boat flipped by mid-late september. I was going to fill the hole in with thickened epoxy.

Thanks,
Michael

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:02 am

You sound like me. I just wanted to change the oil. A one hour task at most. Started at 9 finished at 3.
Oil would not drain out of the hose I attached when installing the engine. Since I didn't much feel like pulling the engine to change the hose I decided to purchase a syphon pump and hose to put down the dipstick to drain the oil. Nobody at the three parts stores ever heard of such a thing. They even had one on their shelf. Then the filter they sold me was a 1/2
Inch longer making it near impossible to get the filter wrench on it. Adversity makes us appreciate what we have even more.
Just think of all the stuff you'll get down when you get back. Remember it's the journey that's important :D :lol:
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:24 pm

Alright - so, after many setbacks, I have finally started drilling the shaft hole. I started last night, around 11:00 and gave up around 1:00. I set everything up and started to drill until I ran into a screw - I had to chisel it out to continue. By this point, It was around 12:30 - Because the screw stopped the progress of the drill bit, the drill bit "stripped out" the wood, so the threads on the drill bit propelling it forward had nothing to grab onto. This forced me to use much more force while drilling. After another 30 mins, and only moving 1/2 an inch, I decided this would be better accomplished in the morning. In the morning, I rose early and spent another 3 1/2 hours trying to drill the rest of the way. I ran into 3 more screws :roll: (When I send pictures, this is the reason why there are small holes in the bottom) and then I finally ran out of length on my drill bit. :? I am going to the store now to get another extension, and then I will finish the final 2-3 inches. I always thought it would be humorous to name the boat after the part that gives me the most trouble. I was thinking "Screwy" :lol: :wink: ... Well, either way - I am working my best to get it in the water by this summer, and I am also trying to make it down to the gathering next weekend. Thank you!

-Michael

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:43 pm

I have just finished the Shaft hole - I have attached pictures. I ran into a total of 3 screws, and It did splinter a little bit on the inside at the end, but it seems okay. The hole also seems to be ever so slightly off center - to the port side - But I believe it should be okay. I plan to move on to fiberglassing within the next couple weeks - I plan to have the boat ready to flip by October 10th, But flip it by November 1st. I still have a lit of work to do on the trailer, and It will just rest on the trailer as I complete the boat. I was planning on doing dark Green waterline paint - but I was not sure where the waterline might be, and I was not sure what paint I should use. I heard the two part epoxy paints are very durable. Thank you all for your help!

-Michael
Attachments
IMG_3121.JPG
IMG_3118.JPG
IMG_3117.JPG

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:58 pm

I haven't done much since the last post - I cut the fiberglass to size and I figured out how all the pieces will fit together to cover the boat. I am also building a fiberglass and carbon fiber guitar out of the leftover materials too small to use on the boat - Its a project for school. I have decided on supermarine Ironsides paint - in Dark green. I have heard good things about this paint, please tell me if you suggest otherwise. I have set up a date - next saturday - to put on the fiberglass and the following week - the 10th - to roll on the paint. If i do this, I will have met my October 10th goal for having the boat ready to flip - but I still have a lot to do on the trailer.......Here are some pictures of the boat as is now! I need to clean the garage, but its temporary - we are moving my sister into college.

Thank you!
-Michael
Attachments
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Hello all,
Sunday I am applying fiberglass, and I was wondering whether or not I needed to do a Seal coat before I applied the fiberglass for the Bond coat, since I already sealed the hull using CPES.

Thanks,
Michael

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:41 am

I like to coat before fiberglassing because i feel it then absorbs the epoxy more evenly and consistently during the actual fiberglassing. Its just up to personal preference.
I dont have experience using CPES my feeling is I would just go straight to fiberglassing in your case.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:59 am

Michael

I agree with Chris. You already have CPES, just go straight to glassing.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:54 am

With the caveat that I have never used CPES, my understanding it that it was 'invented' to treat rotted wood. Ergo it penetrates and 'solidifies' soft wood. To my understanding it is not encapsulation per se and not waterproof in and of itself. Personally I would be reluctant to have it as my only moisture barrier but am willing to be convinced otherwise by more informed sources.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:37 pm

Thank You - I ended up applying the fiberglass today - it was a long day, with a few complications. The end result looked Okay - I hope it improves with Varnish. I ended up with these cloudy white patches in the epoxy. (hard to see in 2nd photo but obvious in real life) Do you have any idea why this could have happened? I AM going to fix all the other rough spots - they are all beneath the waterline, so they should be really easy to fix. I have yet to apply the final coat of epoxy, But I am waking up very early tomorrow to apply it, so I don't have to sand it down. I just finished applying the 3rd coat - I did relatively thin coats, Squeegeeing the first, and rolling the final two. Any help is appreciated,

-Michael
Attachments
49715653261__3388FF1B-D980-4542-A751-4A07929E9C85.JPG.jpeg
49715655216__EF40FC7F-DEFA-4985-B297-529ACBCEC90E.JPG.jpeg
49715658644__2BE243AF-33F1-4C0F-B154-DF1DB0AF1AD5.JPG.jpeg

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:41 am

Just another update with some bad news. After the boat completely cured, the spots became worse. On one side there is barely anything, but on the other side, there are huge cloudy streaks everywhere. Unfortunately, after sanding the spots down as much as I could without going through the fiberglass, these spots became worse. I see two options: either rip the fiberglass off (with a heat gun) and start over without any fiberglass, and not get into the water by this year. Or I could continue, paint the sides, and completely redo everything in a few years time when I have the time and money to do so. Either way, I would be happy to hear any input or advice anybody might have.

Thanks
Michael

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:55 am

Is it possible to grind out the bad spots and do a patch? Or are they too big? Might be tough to pull off on a bright finished hull. Sorry you are having problems! Don't give up! Persistence pays off!

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:47 am

I really tried - but there is no way to do it without going all the way down to a bare hull. If I do decide to paint (which is the way I am leaning currently) I would probably go with black, as I think thats the most physically attractive option. I don't think that its possible to save without going to the bare hull. I do not want to do it, but I cant afford (time or money wise) right now to redo the fiberglass. If I do decide to take the fiberglass off, I would take it off then build up with just epoxy. I still think I can be in the water by this summer, since I have secured a 3-week project work time with my school where I will rebuild the Engine, and install it in the boat along with the transmission. Since I will be working on that all day every day for 3 weeks, I believe it is possible to get it into the water before then, as long as I have the deck and wiring done by then. I have already made wiring diagrams, as well as done a boatload* of research on each switch, wire, subwoofer, amplifier, and gauge. I have all of the interior almost planned out except for the color of the seats, since that depends on the color of the waterline and the sides of the hull. Either way, I am hopeful.

Thanks,
Michael

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:36 am

Michael

I've seen many beautiful boats with painted hulls and bright hulls. I did it on the Bartender. Paint is much easier to touch-up any scratches. If you want a bright hull, try a spot on the bottom as a test. See how it looks and decide from there.

You have a great project going!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Hello All,
Its been a few months, but a lot of setup has happened. I have been able to secure 3 weeks at the end of the year to work on the boat as a School Project. This means I get all day every day for three weeks to work on the boat, which is amazing. This also gives me a deadline: in 4 weeks, I have to have the boat flipped over, on functional trailer, sealed, and preferably some floor work done. I think this is very doable. Since I posted last, I have sanded the boat down and gotten it completely prepped to paint. I have ordered System Three LPU paint, and I am mixing it to make a very dark blue. Currently, I am on a road trip looking at Colleges, but as soon as I get back I am going to paint the boat. While I have been in the car, I have been doing research on everything I can think of to get ready for the coming weeks and beyond. I have theoretically planned all of the costs to the end of the build, with an ambitious launch date of the 4th of July. I have also locked in the Toyota 3UZ engine. I have many friends in the automotive industry looking for a wrecked Lexus with the correct engine. I will use the three weeks to remove the engine, convert it, and get it mounted and running in the boat. I have also purchased a transmission: a zf63a - I found it on Ebay for $200, and shipped it here from Florida. The transmission seems to be in good condition, and it was supposedly just rebuilt, but it is a little sketchy.(New price is $2,300) It was painted black and It is missing it's serial number plate.....But it doesn't leak and both the input and output shafts rotate freely. But there should be a lot happening in the coming weeks, so there will be frequent updates. Also, in preparation for paint, I was looking at pictures wondering if anybody painted the topsides on the larger runabouts. I couldn't find anybody who has gone that route, so I took some photos of Glen L boats and photoshopped them to have black sides.
I did it super quickly, so there are some rough spots/mistakes. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I did not take these photos, nor did make these beautiful boats. These photos are merely the result of my curiosity, I hope I did not offend.

Thanks!
-Michael
Last edited by 18shamic on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Power Boats”