Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:44 pm

:D :) Matt :) :D

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Super fun to watch your flip! Thanks for sharing. It's an interesting few days staring at your boat upright pondering all the new challenges.

Now the fun part, congrads.
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:14 am

Congrats Matt Looking great

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:43 am

Good Job!!! Congrats!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

specialk

Postby specialk » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:31 am

Congrats. ..on the flip....you should be on cloud 9....!
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks everybody! I am excited to be back to doing some actual construction. I am having trouble figuring out what type of finish to coat the inside of the boat with. I know that I will be encapsulating the interior with epoxy. But then what? Clear WR-LPU? And at what point should do that. Maybe wait until more of the structure is in place so that I don't have to sand the coating off in order to glue more pieces on? I think for the final sheets of plywood for the cockpit sole I will attach with 3M 4200 or something similar. That way the cockpit sole can be removed in the future much more easily if needed.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:12 pm

Looking good Matt. I'm really enjoying watching your build. The timing is perfect because I'm right behind you and our boats are fairly similar. I ordered my paint yesterday and hope to get it on this weekend. I've identified a source for a trailer and am saving up for it right now. Hopefully I'll be hosting a flipping party soon too.

I can wait to see how you proceed with your interior. Do have a layout in mind already? How do you plan to outfit her? Seats, floors, etc?

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks for saying all that! Hope you have good luck painting.

I am planning on a plywood cockpit sole with some kind of non skid surface. The rest of the interior will be finished bright.

The front two seats will be pedestal swivel seats. You can see the one I've made a few pages back in this thread. Its twin is almost finished. Along the aft of the cockpit will be a bench seat. The cockpit coamings, windshield frame and other trim will be sapele finished bright.

Front and side decks will be painted to match the hull with red accents to match the bottom paint.

gap998

Postby gap998 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Awesome Matt! Liked the music too! Looking forward to following the concave side of the build!
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Matt

For non-skid all you have to do is mix about a tablespoon of clean dry sand with the topcoat.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Thompson

Postby Thompson » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:26 am

Matt
I'm late to the post. But congratulations. The flip has to be a great sence of accomplishment and a little scary at the same time. Great job I know you're proud. Looking forward to the rest of your build.

Lyman

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Matt, Your boat is looking great. Flipping the boat is certainly a mile post. It feels good doesn't it? When I flipped my boat my wife was happy that it looked like something that would actually float. Congratulations.
Capt. Dave

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:40 am

Thanks for the kind words everybody! I have not been able to do much since the flip. My whole family has been sick, but are all finally feeling better. I finished adjusting the trailer bunks this morning. I think four bunks is a great idea with these boats but it is not easy to get them all adjusted. This trailer was made for boats that have a little bit more deadrise that the Geronimo so I had to shim the middle two bunks since they are not adjustable up and down aft. They have a nice hefty crossbar that will really help once that heavy motor is mounted, though. You'll see what I mean in the pictures. I also had to get a little creative with a clamp in order to twist the bunks the way they needed to be twisted (or untwisted) and then crank the bolts down. I then used a bottle jack to adjust the outer bunks so that they were more or less holding the boat evenly with the middle two. Once all that was taken care of I felt better about removing the rest of that ugly building form from my nice boat.
IMG_20170223_093937397.jpg

IMG_20170223_093839040.jpg

IMG_20170223_101130252.jpg

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:10 am

:D Congrats,Matt.nice to see you're using boat trailer for cradle.make sure it's blocked so it won't move around when you are working inside.in some ways ,I wish I had done that,but now have to raise hull up so can sneak trailer in under.sorry to hear everyone was sick. hope little O is ok.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:16 am

Oliver is fine after a couple of doses of antibiotic. I do need to block the trailer. It likes to bounce around a bit when I am in the boat. Debating on whether it is worth it to remove the wheels and lower it about 6 inches or not. My rafters are plenty high at 10 feet. I am planning to make some stairs from the building form lumber.

Return to “Power Boats”