towing your boat behind a house boat

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jenko

towing your boat behind a house boat

Postby jenko » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:08 pm

I am going for a house boat holiday and would like to take the Riviera.I was wondering about towing behind the house boat ? Do you use a towing pole ? Moor it to the side ?or what?

Bill Edmundson

Re: towing your boat behind a house boat

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:15 pm

I want to see this answer. I've had each work and each not work. :? :roll:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:39 am

Me too!! You could give a call to the WahWeap Marina on Lake Powell and see if they have any suggestions. Lots of houseboats there and I'm sure some are towing boats.

Roberta :?:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:34 am

We go on a houseboat trip every year and have pulled the Monaco behind the houseboat several times. ( sometimes instead of being towed I scout out ahead to find a good beach ) We just use a dock line or a tube rope tied off on a cleat on the back corner of the houseboat. You can tow from the center if there is a suitable place to tie to, sometimes there is not. Tying to the railing is not a good idea. We tow the boat back far enough to be in a calmer part or the wake. Probably 50 to 75 feet. Stage your boat just behind the houseboat with the line tied to the cleat. Idle the houseboat forward,using your hands, pay out line to your boat then stop the line and pull to get the boat moving a little bit you may have to let out line and pull a couple times until your boat is moving the same speed as the houseboat. The houseboat should just be idling a couple MPH, and don't wrap the rope around your hands. Once the boats are moving the same pay out the rest of the line until it is tight with the cleat. Now you can bring the houseboat up to speed. When you stop have someone on the back deck to watch out for your boat drifting up to the back of the houseboat.This usually is not a problem because the houseboat takes longer to slow down than the small boat. We have pulled 2 boats and a jet ski with out any problems. One boat tied on each side and the jet ski in the center up closer the the back of the houseboat. When pulling more then one boat you need to stagger the length of the lines, so if they happen to come together they won't hit. Also set your rudder straight or to turn a little to the outside.

Rich

TAB

Postby TAB » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:24 pm

make sure you lash the steering wheel other wise it will be uncontrollable. also remember to slow down for a long time so your boat does not run into the back of you. ( don't ask me how I know :mrgreen: )

bob smith

Postby bob smith » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:47 am

Put the wife at the helm of the houseboat, station the kids and pets at the bow and climb in the Riviera for a few precious quiet moments.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:14 am

Bob
:lol: I love the concept :!: But, Lauren can't drive a boat. She thinks you always turn into the wind (sailing), But, she can't tell you where the wind is coming from.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jenko

Postby jenko » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:21 pm

I am thinking I might try a 2 metre piece of thick wall 32 mm pvc pressure pipe with a rope through the middle ?

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:But, Lauren can't drive a boat.

I'm not sure I believe that. I think it's an act because Lauren just likes to be chauffered. 8)
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:38 pm

:lol:

Could be Dave!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:15 am

My wife is baffled by the tiller handle on our jon boat. I'm hoping she will be better with a steering wheel.

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Found a picture towing boats behind houseboat. My boat was pulling to the middle in this photo. we stopped, pulled the boat in and turned the rudder a little to port, then headed 30+ miles up the lake with no problems. Here is a picture of Reminiscent after we were setup. Lake Mohave, End of September, Temp around 100 deg, water 80 deg. Almost like a private lake with maybe one boat an hour passing by.

Rich
Attachments
IMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg

jenko

Postby jenko » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:58 pm

well that looks simple enough

Return to “Miscellaneous”