Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

alycat

Re: Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

Postby alycat » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:23 pm

Looks great!!! Where did you get your exhaust tips? I like how you put the shims in
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks Will!
The exhaust tips are from defender marine. They are made by Vetus and connect to a 4" hose so I won't have to change sizes from the engine to the exhaust tip.

Jim
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Jim,

Looking great, still aways to go but this is the fun part ( it was for me anyway ) with the deck, engine and running gear, dash, hardware etc.
Have you considered joining our areas ACBS http://acbs-tahoe.org/
Lots of fun. Just finished the delta run. A week ago was the international show at Tahoe, and the week before that was a get together at Shasta Lake. Your boat does not have to be done, in fact you don't have to have a boat, there is always an open seat. Looking forward to seeing your boat finished.

Rich

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:02 am

Thanks Rich

I joined the ACBS about a month ago. Lots of good reference material on line. I would highly recommend others to join.

Jim
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:26 pm

Ok, Here's the latest progress as of last weekend. Seems like I have been working on cover boards FOREVER! I made patterns which I saved and later used to fit the sub deck, worked great! The cover boards will be screwed down with bungs over the screws, and later shaped. (similar to fairing but not so dreadful I think. :wink: ). Nothing is glued down yet. I have some adjustments to make so that the deck veneer aligns with the cover boards. I am planning on screwing down the final mahogany deck veneer until the epoxy sets. Then I will remove the screws and replace with bungs (just for looks.)
Jim
Attachments
20161106_155514.jpg
My Boat
20161106_155533.jpg
My Boat
PB090049.JPG
This ain't mine, but it's the look I am after.
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Looking great. That looks like Chris Craft dark walnut and red. Very classic combination.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:15 pm

I had a close call a couple of weeks ago. I thought I would improve the dollies for my build by removing the furniture moving caster dollies and replacing them with 6" casters. It rolled much smoother out of my garage to the driveway apron than before. I thought to myself this is slick. As I was pushing the boat back into the garage, the casters hit up against the lip where the apron and garage meet. A little shove on my part was all it took for the dollies to flip over and the boat to come crashing down on top of the dollies. I really lucked out!! There was a lot of noise, but there was no damage. There wasn't even a scratch or mark left on the boat. I jacked up the boat and returned it to the original setup. Sorry but I was too upset to take pictures of the boat sitting on the floor. Last weekend I built a new cradle using ideas from others on this forum. I installed it under the boat, and the bunks fit perfectly. Now I have piece of mind, and my therapist says I am doing much better.
The new cradle is shown below.

Jim
Attachments
20161119_161605.jpg
here's the new cradle. I guess I could add car wheels and have a real redneck boat trailer.
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:46 am

Jimbob wrote: Now I have piece of mind, and my therapist says I am doing much better.

ROTFLOL! Truer words have never been spoken!

Glad it turn out ok.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

alycat

Postby alycat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Looking great!!! I have a lot of catching up to do!!! Awesome job and so jealous of your progress!!!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Here's the latest from Sacramento.
Got the flooring in and all of the support for it underneath. It's in sections so it can be removed for access.

On the floorboard where the feet go, I created quite a design problem in trying to replicate the original boats by having the steering column going through the floorboard. First I had to determine the angle of the steering column to the dashboard by measuring the angle of the bracket that holds the column that is attached to the dash. Turns out it is 20 degrees, not 30 degrees like I originally thought. From that, the floorboard had to be at 20 degrees also so that the column enters at a 90 degree angle to the floorboard. Then I had to build a bracket to hold the steering helm at a 20 degree angle also. Even though the hatch in not original, I wanted access to the bow for storage etc. Here's a pic of the original boat I am copying and my progress so far. The floor will be covered with white vinyl like the original boat in the picture. The floorboard module will be mounted to the floorboard.
Attachments
20170219_145945.jpg
This where the helm goes. It's mounted to a bracket that is mounted to the floor
20170219_145827.jpg
My version of the original
P8080107.JPG
This is the original boat I am copying
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Here's some more pics of the hatch and support brackets. The vinyl flooring will cover the plywood, and the mahogany will be stained to match the hull.

Jim
Attachments
20170226_185615.jpg
The final support. Ready to be screwed into the boat.
20170226_185539.jpg
The hatch
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

garrech

Postby garrech » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Looks good!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:53 pm

That's going to be very cool!

alycat

Postby alycat » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:04 pm

Ingenious !!! I like the hatch for storage, very nice!!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks! all.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Return to “Hankinson designs”