Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

FFguy08

Re: Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Postby FFguy08 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Wow! Someone interested in moving to Indiana! (Of all the available options for places to live!) What part, if you don't mind saying? I'm in Greenwood, which is about 30-40 min southeast of Chris, southside of Indianapolis!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

He who has the most toys, wins!
ZL1 = CharliZe
Tahoe 23 = OverKill (under construction), Blog www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Lafayette. I grew up in that area. Haven't lived there in 17 years. Never thought I'd go back, not because I didn't want to necessarily but I just didn't see a path. This is a fantastic opportunity for the wife and my job is portable. We might have to have an Indiana Glen-l get together.

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:50 pm

Definitely need to have regular Glen L crew meet ups for some chair and cooler talk! haha! That's awesome that your getting back to Lafayette! I grew up in Greenwood, moved to Arizona for college at ASU, and then for some crazy reason moved right back to Greenwood, go figure... So I can't give you too much grief about moving back to Indiana! lol! Well, hope the move and transition go smoothly, give me a shout if you need anything!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe
Tahoe 23 = OverKill (under construction), Blog www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23

riplash

Postby riplash » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:11 am

Hey Hoodman,

I am a Boilermaker and lived in West Lafayette and Lafayette, from 1998 till about 2002 and then I was back in West Lafayette for the Fall Semester in 2008. I still talk to lab techs and profs occasionally with airplane, bicycling and waterskiing projects. I tend to visit Indiana once every 2 or 3 years now but it is getting harder because a lot of my extended family in Indiana is retiring and moving to Florida close to where I live now.

Are you going to use any of your boats on the Wabash? My friends and I always joked that the Wabash would dissolve any boat, but when I was able to buy an old skiff, We used it in the Wabash and Tippecanoe River without any problems.

-Ryan "Rip"

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:17 pm

I might very well give the Wabash a shot. There is a guidebook written by a man that traveled the entire river in a motorboat.

http://m.riverlorian.com/site/mobile?dm ... rk=fw#0211

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:10 am

Carlings on! I probably will encapsulate the interior next. Now that I've crawled under the deck beam at frame 5 a couple of times I can confidently say that I will not be doing the deck hatch. Maybe if I was 5'5" it would be more practical. Most likely I'll put a cleat in the center of the foredeck where I can reach it over the windshield and then have a couple of bow chocks to guide dock lines.
IMG_20170321_190823958.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Matt

Maybe if I was 5'5" it would be more practical.

Maybe, by the time you get to the deck hatch Oliver will be big enough! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:18 pm

You're right Bill. Before long I'm going to have a legit deckhand.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:58 pm

Matt, what a coincidence you bring up the hatch. That's where I'm at in my build - I'm just finishing up the sheer clamp and toe rail - next step is the hatch, repaint the deck and the outside of the boat is basically done. The hatch will be simple - I already got it framed in under the deck. By simple I mean simple construction (I'd like to see pictures of others' hatches by the way).
Anyway, I'm 220 arthritic and extremely claustrophobic. So I figured at one time or another, and certainly while I'm doing the decking in there, I'm going to have to climb in there. So that will be a lot easier with a big open window to the sky. No worry about getting out if necessary :lol:
But the main reason I'm putting in the hatch is, I have a 10 year old granddaughter who's been watching me build this for the last four years and she's always asking me if it's going to have a hatch she can look out of. Hopefully my boat will be done in another year, but in just a few weeks she can sit up there and look out the hatch. I'll tell her she's the "Queen of the Nile" and get her a snake hat like Cleopatra. Gotta get this done before only boys matter :( Bob
Bob

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 am

We move next weekend so I wanted to make sure I got my sapele before leaving town. It is the same price as white oak here. And look at those gorgeous wide boards! You're looking at the coamings, dash beam, and windshield frame. Hopefully a couple other things too. They got a little wet on the way home so I got a taste of what they will look like in the end!
Attachments
IMG_20170419_104209263.jpg

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:20 am

Looks like you still have some packing to do!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:25 am

JimmY wrote:Looks like you still have some packing to do!
Thanks for reminding me! :roll: All of the lumber and plywood that I have left is going to ride in the boat. There's plenty of room for it all to lay in there.

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 am

Good luck with the move! Are you using I65 from southern IN or coming from the east?
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 am

I'll be coming up 75 most of the way. It's about equal time whether I go through Louisville or Cincinnati. But Louisville is kind of a pain to go through (perpetual construction) so I usually go through or around Cincy.

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:11 am

Yeah, and Louisville just opened the new bridge across the Ohio River and is a toll bridge, which I hear is pretty expensive... It's not being traveled as much as the builder estimated! haha, oh boy! Well, I was gonna say honk when you get to the Greenwood exits on 65 if that was the route you took, but 74 from Cincy won't take you thru the south side of Indy... So, have a safe journey and let me know if you need any help with some of the heavy lifting?!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

Return to “Power Boats”