Seattle Barrelback progress

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

RobertCugini

Re: Seattle Barrelback progress

Postby RobertCugini » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:48 pm

Actually, I'll have to measure it. I built it off of the plans, and measured from the existing framing, so I didn't account for the extra length added, because the frames were already moved. I will measure and let you know though. It was interesting building the top framing. I scratched my head and had to look at it more than once. My one bit of advice is to set the deck framing almost to level with the deck beams. It will make your life easier. I set mine high and had to add stock to the deck beams in a few places. Also you get some pretty agressive curves in the bow and stern, where you might have to glue in additional stock. You will find out how accurate you hull is because all the errors show up now, and this is the part everyone looks at!

You might consider finishing the interior before you put the framing in place, Its ALOT easier. I used 2 coats of epoxy and two coats of epoxy primer, and I will probably add another before I am done. Its nice to have it fully encapsulated. I even coated the bottom of the deck framing and sub deck before I glued them together. Takes a bit of extra time and energy and supplies, but, I didn't come this far to compromise.

Robert

RobertCugini

Postby RobertCugini » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:49 am

I have some questions about the covering boards. Im ready to make them and am looking for advice. My stock will be 1/2 inch material.

How did you make the joints in the covering boards?
Did you have to edge glue to get wide enough stock?
How did you set the curve?
How did you cut the curve and how did you finish the inside edge?

Thanks in advance

Robert

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:49 am

I used 8-10" wide 4/4 and 5/4 boards for the cover boards on the Torpedo. I resawed and planed them to 3/8" thick. On the end joints, I bevel cut the ends to over lap. This prevents opening up at the joint due to shrinkage. I would not edge glue cover boards to make them wider. If you resaw, try to book match cover boards to get a nice grain pattern.

I used a handy tool I made from scrap wood and some plastic washers to scribe the line for the cover boards. Areas where the boards get wider or narrower, you can use templates and make one side and use it to make the other side. Once boards are temporarily fastened and covering the lines, the edge along the shear can be planed off. Then the tool or template can be used to mark the inner line. Then the boards are removed and trimmed before permanently fastening.
Attachments
002.JPG
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

RobertCugini

Postby RobertCugini » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Got one side of the covering board on the boat today, Still have to mark and trim to form the inside edge, but after much thought it is coming together.
Have done a stain sample for the dark color and it worked out well, Thanks to Jim Ritter of Sag Harbor for the advice and formula. (Fine steel wool and white vinegar) It makes a almost black stain in reaction to the wood tannins. I'll post pictures shortly....

Also got all the chrome parts back from the chrome shop, They look great, especially the windshield brackets.

Robert

steves

Postby steves » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:19 am

Hi Robert, I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and can you share the formula?

Thanks in advance, your boat is looking great!

Steve

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:45 pm

Neat tool for marking the top boards.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

RobertCugini

Postby RobertCugini » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:42 am

Covering board work, progress
IMG_2268.JPG

RobertCugini

Postby RobertCugini » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:25 am

Cutting the inside curve of the covering board. I used a small trim router in much the same way as planking the sides. I set a batten with the proper curve as a guide. I used an air nailer to temporarily
Covering board 2.JPG
fasten the batten and then used it to guide the trim router. The router is set to just above the thickness of the piece I'm trimming.

RobertCugini

Postby RobertCugini » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Well I been taking some time off of the Barrelback because of a accident (I tore my Achilles tendon and had to have surgery), But I'm ready to get started and finish up the deck shortly!

Robert

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Robert

Be careful and be sure you're well. Stand on one foot if you have to!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

RobertCugini

Postby RobertCugini » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Yea, I'll be super careful, as I DO NOT want to do this again.
It was a boating accident, I was on my 52 foot Ocean Alexander and we were working on the boat and I stepped into a open hatch.
I was lucky i was not injured worse. Hurt like hell. Went to two doctors and no one diagnosed it properly so I was walking around with a ruptured Achilles for two months before the surgery. I recommend not doing this....

Robert

RobertCugini

Postby RobertCugini » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:57 pm

I have resumed working on the barrelback project. Just finished fitting the engine hatches. You can see the relief on the bottom-side to allow for additional engine clearance.

I can now continue laying all the deckwork.

Robert
Attachments
IMG_2811.JPG
IMG_2810.JPG
IMG_2807.JPG

RobertCugini

Postby RobertCugini » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:47 pm

RobertCugini

Postby RobertCugini » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Covering boards and king plank
Attachments
Top Deck.JPG

RobertCugini

Postby RobertCugini » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:42 pm

Can anyone tell me about fastening their decking?

What fasteners did you use, what spacing, size of planking, width and thickness etc.
What width did you leave for caulk?
How did you finish the deck? Epoxy, Varnish, did you embed cloth? When did you caulk?

Thanks

Robert

Return to “Hankinson designs”