New boat build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

cusoak

New boat build

Post by cusoak »

Well it looks like our great grand kids are getting old enough for a boat.
So me, my son and daughter the grand parents of the kids going to build a boat
We have decided on the Pee Wee. Because it is simple and small to build.
WE are going to start out with a 32 or 54 lb thrust trolling motor.
Which we will hook up via cables to a steering wheel.
Then when they get older and more able we will install a small out board motor.
So I am wondering if any one has knowledge on moving the electric to run the motor to a dash.
And may be some help with a battery size.
Thanks Jeff

A Zip builder

irie E

Re: New boat build

Post by irie E »

Hi cusoak sounds like a fun project you are starting. I found this video which I think is what you are looking for. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuJKyzYsdrQ he answers some questions in the comment section which the video leaves out.

As for a battery, any deep cycle battery should be fine for a day on the water. 100+ ah would be plenty I'd think. Keep a spare onshore if you expect heavy use. Good luck with your project.

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

So in about 19 1/2 hrs I have traced patterns to 1/4" plywood to make cutting templates.
Bought all the wood to cut out all the frame parts.
Put my plywood patterns on all the parts and flush trimmed them all out using a router either by hand or in a table.
By sanding the patterns to the correct size and shape flush trimming makes the almost a exact as using a CNC machine.
So have the 3 frames and transom ready to assemble
Along with the Stem Breast hook Motor board Transom knee.
Having built a Zip this build seems to be going a lot faster.

The question that I have though is about the nails that are used to hold the deck down.
Is there some place local that they can be bought or is there a substitute to use.
I am not sure how you set the heads of the nails so the won't show.
I am going to be using 1/4" Fir Marine plywood
Fiber glassing the bottom to the water line.
The finish will be paint.
Also have all the building platform cut and ready to assemble.
Jeff

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

Why not just use screws instead. The only advantage I can think of for using ring shank nails is cost, but on a boat this small the $avings would be minimal.

TomB

Post by TomB »

Hi Jeff,

I don't know what size nail you are after or how much you need, but Home Depot in Zanesville carries 1" for $4.98/2 oz. You might try your local lumber yard or roofing supply, thinking copper roof not boat. :D I got my boat nails from Glen-L.

My grandpa built a work skiff for fishing on his little lake, no plans, no special lumber or fasteners. I suspect he use drywall nails. It had a lot of paint...and tar...and a bucket for bailing the water out. We had great times, enjoy your build.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

I just got through cutting the 12 degree angle on the bottom of the Pee Wee transom.
I also cut the keel angle using a table saw.
I will be posting picture's to illustrating how I did it, tomorrow.
This way it will save s lot of time.
Jeff

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

Ok here is how I cut the 12 degree angle on the bottom of the transom of the Pee Wee I am building with a table saw.
You need a table saw with a slot on the right side of the blade.
Cut a strip on hard wood to the size of your slot, make it fir snug enough to slide back and forth and not bind up.
Cut it to 3/8" thick. make it 36" long
Now cut a piece of mdf to about 15" wide and 36" long.
Put the strip on some washers in the grove in your table saw with some double sided tape on it.
Now set your fence so that it is 14 3/4" from your saw blade. lower the blade out of the way.
Now put the mdf next to the fence and lower it on to the strip and press it down firm.
Turn it over and fasten the strip with some screws to mdf in counter sunk holes
Raise blade up and tilt it to 12 degrees and then with the runner in the slot of your table saw cut the mdf flush to the blade.
Now you just need to lay the transom on the sled back side down. Line up one edge of the face with the edge on the sled . when alined with the blade fasten the transom down ti the sled.
Transom will be laying at an angle on the sled. Make sure the blade is not touching the transom, turn saw on and move the sled through the blade until it no longer is cutting any wood. Stop moving the wood turn saw off. Unfasten the transom and turn it so the bottom lines up with the sled and fasten down, and make the second cut. turn off saw when don cutting wood You now have a perfect angle on the transom.
Attachments
transom1.JPG
sled3.jpg
sled2.jpg

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

more pictures
Attachments
transom2.JPG
transom3.JPG
sled1.jpg

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

Any body here that has build a Pee Wee would you have a picture on how the sheer lands on the breast hook.
Having trouble remembering how I did that on my Zip.
Jeff

joshuab

Post by joshuab »

Here's one of my zip, not sure if it helps.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170413-204816.png
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

Return to “Small outboards”