Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Jimbob

Re: Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

Postby Jimbob » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:52 am

Here's a couple of pics of the hatch from Tahoe boat show.
Jim
Attachments
PB090021.JPG
Double Doors
P8080035.JPG
Single Door
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi Everybody,
Worked on the steering this weekend. Ready to order the new helm and cable. Looks like I will need 22 feet because I will need to go to the port side of the boat because there isn't enough room on the starboard side where the steering wheel and helm are located. (tighter than the 8" minimum radius that is required) The steering column is mounted to the dashboard template for positioning. The final dashboard will be made out of mahogany and stained dark walnut to match the coverboards. Planning to start the ceilings and seating structure next weekend. Pics below.
Jim
Attachments
20170305_155028.jpg
The steering wheel that cost as much as a Yugo
20170305_155052.jpg
Temporary Helm Getting a NFB Extreme
20170304_141927_001.jpg
Tiller & Cable Mount
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:52 am

Nice work Jim. One of the things I like about this forum is the way you and other woody builders make the art of building look so professional. I know that you are like the rest of us and have areas of your build that you would like to be different and it gives me encouragement when these things happen to me to know that others are also working through issues. In this case, though, it looks like you've nailed the steering work!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Got a start on the "ceilings". Just when I thought I was through with spiling and fairing. :lol: Had to shape the planks so they looked right next to the floor. A straight board creates gaps because of the curve. Then I had to fair the pieces that they are screwed into. Having only three boards also presented a problem in having the boards to be 8 and 9 inches in width to end up with the proper width for the curved pieces. I have not re-sawed anything that wide before, but everything worked out. Got the first 2 boards on each side done last weekend. Will attach the final board, and 2" molding at the top this weekend. The mahogany will be stained and varnished later. Attached a picture of what it is supposed end up looking like when done. Next thing I have to worry about is the placement of the storage holes in the ceilings so they don't interfere with my throttle lever. (always something to figure out)

Jim
Attachments
P8080004.JPG
This is the look I am after
20170319_162257.jpg
20170319_162253.jpg
I slso covered the 2 gussets that show.
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi Everybody,
I finished the ceilings today except for staining and varnishing. Now I need to figure out what they did on the storage holes on the inside. I think they might have attached a box, or maybe just a backing against the hull and a bottom. I am going to ask Al at California Classic Boats to see what he knows. I would appreciate any thoughts you all have.
The seats are my next project.
Jim
Attachments
20170407_153643.jpg
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:11 am

So here's what I came up with on the storage holes. I built boxes and attached them to the ceilings. Tried to design so the screw pattern matched the original boats. Next weekend the seats (finally)
Jim
Attachments
20170409_155318.jpg
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:18 am

Jim

Are you sitting in it yet? Making motor sounds? :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Yeah. This is the point where mocking in the seats and making motor noise is mandatory. A building right of passage.

Roberta :lol:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:36 pm

How did you know?
I have been sitting in pool sand chairs to get an idea where things go, and I have been making motor sounds. When my wife hears the sounds, she keeps telling me "excuse yourself!" :lol:

Jim
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:22 am

Oh I know what these are . Vroom, Vroom, or a rapid bubbling sound emanating from the lips. And embarrassment if caught in the act!!

But I agree with Roberta, I feel they are a right of passage. I wonder if ship builders do this secretly?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:28 am

Hi Everybody!
Here's the weekend progress.
I built my seat base prototype out of pine last weekend to check the fit, the angles, dimensions, and positioning in the boat. Whew, that was time consuming but I got it all figured out. The final assembly will be made out of Sapele. Now that I have my prototype, it should go quickly. The final seat bottoms, which are removable to gain access to storage, will be covered with mahogany veneer. The original boat seat bottoms were painted with mahogany red paint, but what the heck, I like the real mahogany better than paint.
The seat back panel needs to be cut and fitted, it is what will be covered with upholstery. It will then be screwed onto the back panel that is shown in the picture. There will be three cushions that will just sit on top of the seat bottoms. They will be tapered in the front to match the curve of the ceilings. The nice part is that the cushion patterns and the back piece is all that needs to go the upholstery shop. Attached are pictures of my progress and a picture of what it will look like when the upholstery is completed. It's still raining in Calif. as can be seen by the wet foot prints.

Jim
Attachments
20170416_155928.jpg
The base with the back support and removable seats.
20170416_155556.jpg
The pine prototype.
P8080053.JPG
here's the look I'm after.
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Boat looks very nice sir. I have only just begun work on a 20 ft Barrelback and I'm concerned about the fitting of the engine encroaching on the back seat and the uncertainty of the exact height of the engine deck. You are proceeding wth such confidence that the engine will fit properly in the space I have to ask, how did you figure it all out?

Have you committed to a particular power plant? The decision is a long way off for me but I'm on the fence between the practicality of a V6 and the ego driven V8 option.

Matt B

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:01 am

Nice clean work Jim, and that's only the prototype!!

I've been prototyping my stuff so far in poster board and it's worked okay so far, but I definitely can see advantages in what you have done as well.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:44 am

Hi Matt,
Here is a posting for my views on the engine selection. Look around the forum for more.
In addition, if I recall, somewhere in the plans they suggest the smaller engine, but then many have put a v8 in the barrelback.
I made a mock up of the engine to make sure everything will fit with the 4.3L v6 and it does. Stretching the boat to 20' gave me some additional insurance. Also, remember the seat backs are angled back, giving additional space behind them.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30461&p=185529#p185529

Jim
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri May 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Here's the latest.
Finished the front and back seats. Made the underlying frame work out of sapele. Abandoned the idea of having a second plywood back panel as in earlier pictures. Instead, the plywood panel you see will be upholstered, and screwed to the underlying framework.

Jim
Attachments
20170430_164804.jpg
Here's the front seat
20170430_164814.jpg
Here's the back seat
20170430_165107.jpg
The framework for the back seat
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Return to “Hankinson designs”