Barrelback 20'

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

hoodman

Re: Barrelback 20'

Postby hoodman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:21 am

Awesome engine! I bet that was fun to bring home!

alycat

Postby alycat » Thu May 18, 2017 8:44 am

Hello all, back to some slow progress on the boat. As with anything, work and life seems to get in the way sometimes. I finally got some time to do the first test fit of the engine. It almost is there, but I wanted to see if you all had some suggestions as well. I need to trim the aft frame to allow the flame arrestor and motor cover to fit.

Here are some options that have been suggested as well as my thoughts.

Option 1: Trim the frame to allow the motor to slide up under the frame. About 1 1/2 to 2 inches x 12 inches. Reinforce with stainless steel angle where the frame gets thin. This option also does not require modification to the already built hatch.

Option 2: Box out the 12 to 18 inch area and modify the hatch cover to match. This would allow the engine to be easily lowered in and out in the future, but would require modification to the hatch.

Option 3: Re frame the opening moving the forward section of the opening forward 6 inches. This would require rebuild of the hatch and may not be as structurally sound but cutting the frame.

One other thing I was running into was getting the motor positioned to be able to move the chain to be able to slide it under the framing, since the frame is directly in the way without putting a lot of pressure on the frame.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions, I'm sure I am not the first who has had to modify a frame or something to get things to fit properly.

I have marked the area in pencil that would have to be taken out or trimmed.

A look at the angle motor mounts....

And just one out in the sunlight, it rode very nicely on the trailer

Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu May 18, 2017 11:34 am

Looking good Will. I'm definitely not an expert on this, but option 2 if I understand you correctly would end up with a bigger hatch. That seems best to as it will make it easier to work on the motor. However option 1 could be made in such a way to reinforce the frame but allow the reinforcement to be removed as needed when you need to remove the engine. A lot less work this way. Spend some time in the thinking chair with a brew.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

jenko

Postby jenko » Thu May 18, 2017 3:20 pm

I agree with Carl option 2

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu May 18, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm quietly watching all the barrel back builds because, well let's just say my Malahini is almost finished. If you had it all to do over again, would you fit the engine first then build the deck frames and hatch? My question is not meant to be a critique, I need to learn how this all fits together. Most B backs I have seen, the engine is right up against the back seat.

Option 2 sounds the easiest.
Option 3 sounds like the long way to get there but maybe the most correct. I would want my hatch above the engine as much as possible.

Arm chair advice from an inboard rookie. Boat looks awesome!
Matt B

alycat

Postby alycat » Sun May 21, 2017 2:26 pm

One thing I might have done different is not build out all the deck framing around where the engine will be placed. Making it easier to raise and lower the engine and also giving you a visual of how the engine fits, as it is hard to get all the measurements just right going off of manufacturer dimensions.

I think what I will do is extend my engine hatch forward about 6 inches. By doing this it will allow an easier engine install and future maintenance. Also, it will keep the look that I am going for, with a one piece engine hatch and will not move the original back seat dimension. The red lines in the pic below gives a better representation. I still need to take a few more measurement to make sure all is well.

As Carl was saying, I needed to sit there and think about this for a little while... As I have not cut anything as of yet I am going to remeasure a few more times and sit and think a little bit more before getting out the saw. As much as I would like to move on to getting the mechanical in and getting onto the deck, I need to pause and make sure I do this part right.. (I am talking to myself HA HA HA j :lol: :shock: )

Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

jenko

Postby jenko » Sun May 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Will that is what I did for my hatch on the riviera I also moved rear cockpit back 4" to make hatch even larger as I needed to lift the longer engine and vdrive trans combo in and out easily and I am glad I did :D

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Sun May 21, 2017 3:36 pm

How about making that section removable?

Rich

jenko

Postby jenko » Sun May 21, 2017 5:21 pm

Good idea Rich :D

alycat

Postby alycat » Mon May 22, 2017 5:26 am

That is a good idea.... I am trying to wrap my head around how I would do that? First thought would be to box the section and bolt to adjoining members.... Any ideas or pictures of examples?

I see more thinkin today :)
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Mon May 22, 2017 3:05 pm

How about something like this?
Attachments
Hatch Modification.jpg

alycat

Postby alycat » Thu May 25, 2017 12:22 pm

That's a good idea!!! I like it. I think I would still have to trim the bottom of the frame sections that would be removable. This option would also keep the original hatch design. I still haven't made any cuts as of yet..... That is pretty neat how you drew that in!!! Thanks so much for the suggestions!! That is what is so great about these boards!!!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

alycat

Postby alycat » Mon May 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Mr. Rich,

Thank you so much for your idea, I put it into action this weekend. The only thing I haven't done yet is make the cut to free the section. I think this is going to work very well and also keep the look of the original hatch while still giving strength to the frames. I used oak for the connectors and 5/8 stainless steel bolts (4 per joint).

Thanks again, your image u provided got me out of a rut.

Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Mon May 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Your welcome, looks good.

Rich

jenko

Postby jenko » Mon May 29, 2017 6:04 pm

I like it , I would also make a ledge for the piece to sit on rather than totally relying on the bolts

Return to “Hankinson designs”