Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Postby hoodman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks, Shane! Our new house doesn't close until mid-May so we will kinda be in limbo until then. My wife starts her new job on the 1st so that's gonna suck for a few weeks. All the details are a little up in the air but it's coming together and gotta believe that it will all work out in the end.

Hope to see you out on the water someday. With the setback from moving it looks like I won't be done with the boat this summer. If I finish sometime in the cold months we'll just have to take a trip far enough south to get in the water for launch. I can always go fishing with my dad though which will be really nice!

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:41 am

You bet! Moves and new house purchases rarely go without a glitch or 20! Make the best of it! Have fun over the next few weeks!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

He who has the most toys, wins!
ZL1 = CharliZe
Tahoe 23 = OverKill (under construction), Blog www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:15 pm

There is a great little place right off 65 on the near northwest side of Indy called Northwest lumber. Its probably your best bet for any lumber you need once you are here. You were smart to stock up down there before you move up here. I'm still on lifting limitations from my surgeries but if there is something I can do to help I do have time and can offer that.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:14 pm

vupilot wrote:There is a great little place right off 65 on the near northwest side of Indy called Northwest lumber. Its probably your best bet for any lumber you need once you are here. You were smart to stock up down there before you move up here. I'm still on lifting limitations from my surgeries but if there is something I can do to help I do have time and can offer that.

Thanks so much, Chris. If you need any lifting done you let ME know buddy. I'll be in Avon for a few weeks starting next weekend.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed May 17, 2017 2:20 pm

I brought the boat up to Indiana Sunday. 600 miles for a boat and trailer combo that had not gone more than 50 feet yet. I hauled all the lumber and plywood in the boat and smaller scraps in the truck. Everything went fine. We close on the new house Friday so anxious to get her in her new home. She's in my uncle's garage right now. This move has been a real challenge.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed May 17, 2017 4:02 pm

Congrats on the move Matt, I understand the stress of moving. Done it several times already form one state to another. I thought I was going to do it again this year, but we elected to give it two more years so my daughter can attend college and I can finish the repairs on the home.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Wed May 17, 2017 11:42 pm

Good to hear from you Matt,
I've been wondering about how your move went. Moving sucks no matter how you slice it. Hope you can get back to building soon. I'm excited to see your finished boat, 2017 Gathering is a wee bit unrealistic to be finished so that gives you plenty of time to achieve Geronimo greatness by 2018.
Matt B

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu May 18, 2017 7:24 am

hoodman wrote:Picked up some qtr sawn white oak yesterday.

I think I found a better deal on the silicon bronze hardware though without having to order it in kit form from glen-l.

Why did you go with white oak instead of mahogany?

Re: Silicon bronze hardware, Do you have any idea why boat builders use slotted screws rather than square or torx?

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed May 24, 2017 6:36 pm

ToddM wrote:Why did you go with white oak instead of mahogany?

Re: Silicon bronze hardware, Do you have any idea why boat builders use slotted screws rather than square or torx?

White oak was just a personal preference and what I decided to go with on the frames and longitudinals. I'll be doing a lot of the trim and brightwork with sapele.

I am using frearson screws as do most of us Glen-L people. There's no reason you can't use other drive screws if you prefer.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri May 26, 2017 11:15 am

I have my Geronimo in it's new home. It's a little snug, especially with the garage being 1 foot smaller in both directions than what the listing for our house stated. I have a plan to get it in there a little better but it involves re-locating the water softener and getting a trailer tongue hinge. It will do for now however and I can go ahead with construction as is. I am excited to get back to work on it. Next up is encapsulating the interior and forward deck framing. Luckily since I have finished the hull I am done with a lot of the things that you need extra room for.
Attachments
IMG_20170526_140527512.jpg

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat May 27, 2017 11:20 am

Looks good Matt. Now you can start doing all the things I've been doing. It is a fun process, but can be a bit of a head scratcher at times.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:38 am

I finally got all the lumber and plywood out of the boat and started back at cleaning up glue drips. I think most of the ones that will be hidden by the cockpit sole I will just leave. No one is ever going to see them and they are not blocking any of the limbers.

Question: is there a consensus on the size of the holes needed for routing the control cables for a modern outboard? How about steering and wiring? I want to route the wiring behind the carlings up underneath the side decking. So I need to think about drilling the holes soon.

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:34 am

Matt,
It is good to see that you are getting back to work on your boat. It doesn't appear that a car will be inhabiting the garage this winter. But if the weather is mild you will be able to work on the boat until at least thanksgiving.
Capt. Dave

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:47 am

No, Dave there wouldn't be much room for a car in the garage if it was empty. Luckily it is fully insulated, including the door. I should be able to make progress all through the winter.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:09 am

Matt

Sanding helps keep you warm! :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”