Craigslist Glen-L 21CB?

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Locutus

Craigslist Glen-L 21CB?

Postby Locutus » Tue May 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Found a Craigslist ad for a sailboat and trailer for $100.00. Looks like it might be a Glen-L 21CB. Seller doesn't know. Claims it was built by an engineer in the 1970s somewhere in the Midwest. I'm gonna go look at it tomorrow. Stay tuned!

garrech

Re: Craigslist Glen-L 21CB?

Postby garrech » Wed May 24, 2017 6:55 pm

What did you find out? Got any pics?

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Thu May 25, 2017 7:40 am

No pix yet but I went to see it yesterday and was able to confirm that it is in fact a Glen-L 21CB, even though the title only says "homebuilt." Same exact layout and the mainsail even has the Glen-L logo and "21." Title says the boat was built in 1975. The boat seems structurally solid but the paint is a rather rough roller and brush job. No rot that I could detect, the interior is varnished and the varnish is cracked in spots. No galley or head, just an empty space where they would go. Three berths with good cushions. All the rigging appears to be present and in good condition, although the mast has an even coating of surface corrosion. Trailer appears functional but with lots of surface rust. Didn't test the lights but the seller said he would do so. Axle has bearing buddies with greasing nipples. Tires look pretty old, may need replacement for safety.

Made a deal with the seller to buy the whole lot for $100.00 cash. Will pick up tomorrow and complete the transaction.

But it's ironic. 2 1/2 years ago I started construction of a Stevenson Super Skipjack, a 14 FT open sailing dinghy, and it's still not quite finished. I have over $9000.00 into that build. Now, for a trifling $100.00, I'll have a functional, and theoretically launch-ready sailboat with cabin, that will probably be sailed sooner than the Skipjack. (But the Skipjack is beeeautiful! The GL21 is like an ugly older sister.)

Hindsight. Sigh.

Wife's gonna be thrilled. :roll:
Last edited by Locutus on Thu May 25, 2017 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Thu May 25, 2017 7:55 am

One more thing. A motor is not included but I just happen to have a 1955 Johnson Sea Horse 5.5 HP outboard that would be perfect for this boat. The catch: It's not currently running and needs work. Any idea where I can get it worked on in the Puget Sound (Washington) area that won't cost too much? Or maybe where I can find a detailed shop manual for it so that I can work on it myself?

On the other hand, I've seen running outboards on Craigslist for $100.00. Maybe I should go that route in the interim.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu May 25, 2017 8:10 am

That's exciting! Can't wait to see the pictures. Would also really like to see pictures of your Stevenson project. Congrats on the find.

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Thu May 25, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks BayouBengal.
You can read my Skipjack build thread here:
https://www.byyb.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=3247
I haven't done any work on it since October due to weather. Now that it's warming up and drying out, maybe I can finish what little is left to do and get it launched. I think I should finish it before doing anything to the GL21.

This pair of boats make for an interesting contrast:

The Skipjack is a beautiful little boat, primarily due to the excellent materials used and the care I gave to the finish (fairing, paint and varnish). It is easily towed even by a 4 cylinder car and can be launched and set up quickly, probably off the dock within 15 minutes. It will probably be my go-to for 2-hour afternoon lake sails, and is likely to generate lots of compliments and smiles. But all this at significant cost.

The GL21 is being acquired on the cheap. I should be able to power it on the cheap (used outboard) and it appears to need little to actually equip it for launch. It is larger and is more involved to launch, so will probably be reserved for overnight or multiday cruises in the islands. Cabin can sleep three.

It would be interesting to find a way to calculate something like enjoyment units per dollar spent over X period of time or days of use, and compare the results between the two boats.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu May 25, 2017 11:01 am

Phenomenal job on the Skipjack!
and is likely to generate lots of compliments and smiles

Yes, it certainly will. :D

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Fri May 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Well, I'm now the proud owner of a 1975 Glen-L 21CB. Boat, trailer and equipment: $100.00 cash for the lot. Titling for both the boat and trailer will probably end up costing twice that amount because I have to take the trailer to the State Patrol since it has supposedly never been titled. Several fees involved. Tires (and maybe wheels) should be replaced as they are almost 20 years old and have weather checking. Managed to get it home alright with no blowouts or tickets.

Here are the promised photos:

Last edited by Locutus on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri May 26, 2017 11:57 pm

Whatever work it needs, that is a steal for $100 - well done!

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat May 27, 2017 4:16 am

Nice deal on the used sailboat.

Per your question on the outboard you have, check out this website: http://www.leeroysramblings.com/index.html
Those old Johnson are pretty easy to work on and you can still fine parts on craigslist and ebay, as well as reproduction parts.

Enjoy!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Sat May 27, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks JimmY. That looks like a great resource.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat May 27, 2017 8:30 am

Locutus

Can't help on the old tires. For the wheels and trailer, clean and remove as much rust as you can. Coat the rusty areas with CPES. It will get to places you'll never get paint to. Then paint. An epoxy based paint is best with a PU top coat for UV protection. That is the system the use on ships and offshore oil rigs.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat May 27, 2017 11:25 am

This is a fantastic deal. The sailboat looks to be in good condition. I considered one of these for awhile before settling on my Vera Cruise. Great find.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Wed May 31, 2017 8:16 am

Bill,
There's a product out there, I forget what it's called, that's some sort of rust converter. You first mechanically remove as much rust rust as possible by sanding or wire brush, then apply this purple substance and it chemically changes the rust molecules into something else, a hard substance that inhibits further corrosion. I saw use of it on the Skoolie.net forum...I'll have to research it there I suppose. My plan is to use this first and then perhaps CPES as you suggest, then primer and paint. More troublesome will be the interior of the structural tubes of the trailer. Maybe I can apply the rust converter by attaching a small mop-like cloth to the end of a long stick and shove it in from each end like a chimney sweep. I think a lot of old trailers built from steel tube are destroyed from the inside out by accumulating rust that can't be dealt with due to lack of access.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Wed May 31, 2017 8:28 am

Locutus wrote:Bill,
There's a product out there, I forget what it's called, that's some sort of rust converter.

In the UK it is called Kurust. It's a pre-paint treatment and not an effective rust barrier in its own right so for internal protection it would be ineffective.Good for the outside, though.

For the trailer tubes I would suggest a rust inhibiting wax. Over here it's marketed as Waxoyle but I'm sure you have access to something similar. It's applied using a pump-pressurised spray arrangement on a long, flexible tube so you can get into inaccessible chassis members. Used a lot on classic cars.

Return to “Sailboats”