Latex Paint

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

specialk

Re: Latex Paint

Post by specialk » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:54 am

I will Agree with Vupilot... I to paid $100+ a gallon for Supermarine Paint...and I am not total happy with it...I have had a little of my green come off and when I filled up the tank the first time I spilled a very small amount of gas on my deck... I did not have any thing on hand .. so went to the glove box .. by the time I got back .. I had a spot the size of a deck of cards that had bubbled up.. and that was one of the things .. in there claim.. that has no effect on there paint.. so you can not believe everything you read... !

But I am sure in the next 3 to 5 yrs I will have to repaint.. will find better top paint buy then...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

ToddM

Post by ToddM » Sat May 27, 2017 4:37 pm

chugalug wrote:was thinking on trying this stuff and primer on the outside and inside cabin (color of paint is sublime)primer says it stick well(without sanding) to all slick surfaces including fiberglass doors.
I got a kick out of this. It makes me think of the times I bought something cuz the manufacturer made a claim, and when the product disappointed, I had the option of arguing to get my money back. But, there was no option to replace whatever was affected negatively by their product, nor was there ever an option to pay me for the time spent redoing something. Yeah, it will stick to slick surfaces. Unless it doesn't. And what is the consequence to you if it doesn't.

In the end, I have learned that I pay the price for my mistakes and sometimes for other's mistakes, or misstatements, or lies, or ...
So, mostly I use whatever other folks have found works. In this case, I only use alkyd based primer, even though I can't get it shipped to California.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat May 27, 2017 6:06 pm

:lol: It's nice you got a kick out of that.I'm trying Zinzer 1,2,3 primer under my house painted hull.tho the bottom has been coated with the same and bottom ablative paint,it's all gonna wear off someday.now I just have to figure out how to get it out of boatshed to see how crappy a job I did. :D here's a thought.I had to get uncured varnish off of pilothouse and used waterbase zip strip.it took the varnish off but would't touch the epoxy.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

ToddM

Post by ToddM » Sun May 28, 2017 9:24 am

chugalug wrote: :D here's a thought.I had to get uncured varnish off of pilothouse and used waterbase zip strip.it took the varnish off but would't touch the epoxy.
Uncured varnish; Don't ya hate it when that happens?

I have never told the following story because of my embarrassment, and maybe because no one wants to hear it, but here goes.
epoxy-grout.jpg
We had a slab leak which necessitated the remodel of our bathroom, (my wife said replacing the affected drywall was not adequate, the whole bathroom had to be remodeled). I hate scrubbing grout in shower corners, so I decided to use epoxy grout, which the manufacturer said would never get moldy or mildewy. I glanced at the directions to find the mix ratio, mixed some up in a plastic cup, and started pushing the epoxy grout into those 1/16" spaces that you see in the photo. The epoxy grout started going off quickly, and I was having a difficult time pushing it into the spaces. And the epoxy grout was expensive, so I wasn't about to give up on the batch I had mixed. Within 5 minutes I was covered in sweat, and there was probably more grout on the floor than between the spaces. I kept pushing and pushing until I had as much grout in the spaces as I could get, and I was exhausted. And I was irritated that the manufacturer had sold me such a useless product. I mean, how can a person expect to push all that grout in 5 minutes, which was the time it took after mixing to become stiffer?

Luckily, I had only mixed up half of the total, and still had about half the tile to go, but I was too exhausted to continue right then. Before mixing the next half, I researched to figure out what was wrong with the stupid epoxy grout, and that research included reading reviews. I wanted some validation that this junk set off too quickly to be useable. A few of the reviews said that you HAVE TO mix it on a flat surface, like the directions said, instead of in a cup or other container. And the reason was because the stiffening properties were accelerated by heat, and the mixture produced it's own heat, so in a container it just kept setting quicker and quicker. If I had read and followed the directions, I would not have had any trouble with the grout. But, since when did I have to read and follow directions? I have mixed epoxy and mixed grout. I didn't need any stupid directions.

I read the directions, and sure enough, "mix on a flat surface, and keep the unused portion on the flat surface during application."

I put a 12" x 12" floor tile in the freezer and after the tile got nice and cold I took it out and mixed up the epoxy grout on it, and kept the unused portion on the tile. Pushing the epoxy grout was then just like pushing any other grout. It wasn't easy, but it was a 1000 times easiER. And it didn't set up until it was in the spaces.

Bathroom, boat, whatever, it is probably best to read and follow the directions.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sun May 28, 2017 9:52 am

:D the uncured varnish was 65 buck a quart can Epifanes .didn't know it was incompatable with Glen-l epoxy.I had let the epoxy cure for a couple of months and after a good scrubbing applied varnish and let that go for 3 weeks.was just like I had put it on.so zipped off and good scrubbing again applied primer and paint instead so latex paint everywhere above waterline now. :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Sun May 28, 2017 4:41 pm

I hate scrubbing grout in shower corners
The moral of the story is that this whole ordeal could have been avoided by simply using regular sand grout and having your wife do the grout scrubbing. :)

Nice job on the shower.

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Mon May 29, 2017 7:50 am

Interesting thread.

I am on record as having greast success with my Supermarine Ironsides. I was very meticulous with prep and temp/humidity considerations as well. Maybe I'm just lucky. That said, I beached on significant rocks last season and ground some paint of the bottom at the rear end. It needs a touch up.

As far as latex paint is concerned, I wouldn't hesitate. I covered $600 worth of House of Kolor polyurethane on my Harley with Krylon from rattle cans.

I think automotive paint is probably as good as anything. What gets a harder beating than that?
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...